PDA

View Full Version : Willie Stargell Auto'd Jersey on MLB???

suave1477
05-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I was possibly interested in this Jersey but was curious to hear other thoughts on it.

Now I am not saying it is written anywhere but I was always under the impression that if MLB was going to auction off something whether it be an auto or something of that nature coming from them that it would need to be MLB Authenticated or at least authenticated by a reputable company such as a PSA or something.

Or maybe since it is a charity selling this item through MLB Auctions wouldn't you want an item like this to be authenticated by a professional? Yes I know the rule of thumb is an LOA is only worth the paper it is written on but for a deceased players autograph to be sold through a reputable auction, you would think it would come with something for provenance???

Here is my question even further - Stargell died in 2001. I spoke with a rep from M&N and I asked him did they make Stargells Jerseys from 2001 or previous and he said he has been there many years and doesn't remember them making them on or previous to that time. He said they did make some in the mid 2000's and did a quick reproduction run of them last year. But that was it.

So what are the chances of this Jersey/Auto being real???

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=120920371&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=121267081

gnishiyama
05-10-2010, 05:01 PM
While searching for Stargell autographs a couple years back for a client, I came across signed jersey number #8s. So there is a chance an authentic
signed jersey number was later sewn onto a blank jersey.

Goh Nishiyama

suave1477
05-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Goh actually that could be a possibility.

I would actually believe that more if it was just a regular retail blank Jersey. But this is a Mitchell & Ness which I doubt a blank was made and then the 8 was replaced with a signed 8???

I mean anything is possible just odd

otismalibu
05-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Is that a knockoff M&N?

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/82056312/Images/99/stargellblackpops764623646237647236edfsd.jpg

Danny899
05-10-2010, 10:03 PM
I was possibly interested in this Jersey but was curious to hear other thoughts on it.

Now I am not saying it is written anywhere but I was always under the impression that if MLB was going to auction off something whether it be an auto or something of that nature coming from them that it would need to be MLB Authenticated or at least authenticated by a reputable company such as a PSA or something.

Or maybe since it is a charity selling this item through MLB Auctions wouldn't you want an item like this to be authenticated by a professional? Yes I know the rule of thumb is an LOA is only worth the paper it is written on but for a deceased players autograph to be sold through a reputable auction, you would think it would come with something for provenance???

Here is my question even further - Stargell died in 2001. I spoke with a rep from M&N and I asked him did they make Stargells Jerseys from 2001 or previous and he said he has been there many years and doesn't remember them making them on or previous to that time. He said they did make some in the mid 2000's and did a quick reproduction run of them last year. But that was it.

So what are the chances of this Jersey/Auto being real???

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=120920371&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=121267081

Suave,
I've been collecting Mitchell & Ness jerseys for almost 20 years and I can tell you that they did manufacture a 1962 home flannel vest and a 1971 home knit for Stargell. Back then, M&N did not put names on the backs of their jerseys. This is back when you could get one of their jerseys through its catalog for around $125 or so. (before finally forming a website) Only recently did M&N start to produce 1979 Pirate jerseys. Most of this information I got from my old catalogs that I held on to. You would think that the M&N rep you spoke with would have this information readily availably. That jersey does looks rather odd in the auction. Hope this helps.
Dan