PDA

View Full Version : bidding on a tag

joshmiller0
05-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I've seen card with nba logos from jerseys, or pieces of jerseys cut up. I've never seen the bidding on a meigray tag. These tags are to authenticate the jersey... I don't get why anyone would just want the tag without even a piece of the matching jersey
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marc-Staal-09-10-Superlative-MeiGray-Tag-G-U-Patch-1-1-/400119811990?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item5d28ffcf96

joshmiller0
05-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Maybe it's worth something because it was once on the jersey?

gingi79
05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd say it's because so many of the cards are questionable. There are whole websites dedicated to dispelling the authenticity of these cards no matter the card producer.

A MeiGray tag means the shirt was actually worn in the game. They have a spotless track record. In fact, if I ever wanted to waste money on these cards, I'd only want the MeiGray tag otherwise I'd never really be sure if the player listed on the card actually wore the postal stamp size piece of cloth.

joelsabi
05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I've seen card with nba logos from jerseys, or pieces of jerseys cut up. I've never seen the bidding on a meigray tag. These tags are to authenticate the jersey... I don't get why anyone would just want the tag without even a piece of the matching jersey
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marc-Staal-09-10-Superlative-MeiGray-Tag-G-U-Patch-1-1-/400119811990?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item5d28ffcf96

That is puzzling to me. Meigray tags have never been inside of the NHL hockey game correct? Maybe its just showing the confidence of the Meigray tagging system and it definitely a unique card. Then again, the chances of that tag being on a game used jersey are greater than most threads used on game used jersey cards.

BarryMeisel
05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Joel,

You are incorrect.

For the 15 NHL teams with which we have exclusive agreements, and for NHL All-Star and NHL-MGG charity programs, our security tags are worn inside the jersey and applied BEFORE the player steps on the ice.

The jersey cards that carry our tags are 100% certain to have been worn on the ice in regulation NHL games.

Hope this clarifies.

Barry

joelsabi
05-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Joel,

You are incorrect.

For the 15 NHL teams with which we have exclusive agreements, and for NHL All-Star and NHL-MGG charity programs, our security tags are worn inside the jersey and applied BEFORE the player steps on the ice.

The jersey cards that carry our tags are 100% certain to have been worn on the ice in regulation NHL games.

Hope this clarifies.

Barry

Thanks Barry

Good to know. Does that include NBA tags on your exclusive agreements too?

That tag would the part of the jersey I would want on any game used jersey cards then. The current bidding price of that card shows the faith of collectors in the Meigray tagging system.

BarryMeisel
05-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Yes, same in the NBA.

In fact, I think this Forum discussed a great shot a few years ago after the NBA All-Star Game when LeBron James accepted his MVP award. Like many players he pulled his jersey out of his pants post-game and there was his tag, perfect product placement.

All the best,
Barry

joshmiller0
05-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Yes, same in the NBA.

In fact, I think this Forum discussed a great shot a few years ago after the NBA All-Star Game when LeBron James accepted his MVP award. Like many players he pulled his jersey out of his pants post-game and there was his tag, perfect product placement.

All the best,
Barry

Pretty cool... I was watching the Hawks/Magic game yesterday and saw the meigray tag on one of the players in the locker room. Took some blurry pics.. but look at the bottom of the jersey and you'll see the meigray tag (I circled it).