PDA

View Full Version : SCHAEFER LVS Bat - Help identifying player requested

cjw
05-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi..found this LVS in a Vancouver junk store and assume that it is a Jeff Schaefer, gamer from circa 1989?

The spelling of the surname is a not common one among minor or major leaguers (as I review baseball allmanac and baseball cube) and Jeff played for the AAA Vancouver Canadians, affiliate of the White Sox in 1989 and 1990 before moving up to the Show in 1989 and in and out through 1994.

My question is - does this style of LVS match up with Jeff's tenure in Vancouver?

Thanks for your help! chris

sox83cubs84
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Looks OK...the bat markings are 1986-89 LS vintage.

There is also a chance it could be from the minors in the early 1990s...while LS added team names for MLB-issued bats in 1991, the minor league bats continued to sport the Louisville Slugger text in the third space on the barrel.

Dave M.
Chicago area

joelsabi
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Looks OK...the bat markings are 1986-89 LS vintage.

There is also a chance it could be from the minors in the early 1990s...while LS added team names for MLB-issued bats in 1991, the minor league bats continued to sport the Louisville Slugger text in the third space on the barrel.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Hi Dave,

isn't this a 1990 label bat? Lousiville Slugger is not on barrel below the player's name.

reference: http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Bat%20ID/LS%201980-Current.htm

or is there a difference with minor league bats?

earlywynnfan
05-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Dave,

isn't this a 1990 label bat? Lousiville Slugger is not on barrel below the player's name.

reference: http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Bat%20ID/LS%201980-Current.htm

or is there a difference with minor league bats?

I'm confused by your question, "Louisville Slugger" is clearly below the player's name, isn't it??

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

joelsabi
05-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm confused by your question, "Louisville Slugger" is clearly below the player's name, isn't it??

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Ken,

You are not confused. I had to lighten the photo to see the third line saying LVS. No wonder no reply from Dave. I stand corrected. Need to get my eyes checked or get a better monitor.

Dave,

I would like to know more however about the difference between minor league and major league bats. That would be appreciated.

eisenreich8
05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I guess there remains the possibility that the bat contains a typo with the player's name. Danny debuted with the Red Sox during the bat's indentified vintage. Just a thought:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Sheaffer

MSpecht
05-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Here you go Joel, from the book BATS (p. 51) :

As recently as 1994, H & B produced bats for minor league team, such as the Columbus Clippers, with 1986-89 pro labeling. These bats often have current star players names on the barrel, and appear to be pro model bats of those star players.

This issue is also confused by the proliferation of Anaconda-Kaye bats with 1986-89 labeling .

For the subject bat in this thread, however, based on the player and his non-endorsement status, the manufacture date is almost certainly consistent with the label period.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

cjw
05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the clarification. chris

ironmanfan
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I know that Jeff Schaefer owns/operates an indoor baseball academy in Charlotte, NC and I'm sure he would be happy to take a look at the bat to see if it was his or not (I met him a couple years ago and he is a nice guy). If you would like his contact info, e/m me....

whhp72@yahoo.com