PDA

View Full Version : Another Good Auction Find

slidekellyslide
07-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Picked up this pennant today at a local estate auction.....a bit moth eaten near the tip, but for $25 no complaints.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/250/july8018small9ub.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I also picked up a neat old HS Letterman Jacket from the 1940's...and a T205 and 51 Bowman reprint sets from the 1980's.

vintagesportscollector
07-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Great Find Dan! $25 is a steal. Any idea what the pennant usually goes for? I have seen it in auctions before, but don't recall the price.

slidekellyslide
07-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Couldn't find one in recent auctions, but I did find one in an old Mastro Catalog from 1999 which was of course MINT and it had a starting bid of $200. Supposedly this pennant is from the 1955 Season.

flaco1801
07-09-2006, 11:15 PM
does it really matter what it "goes" for?

vintagesportscollector
07-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Not sure I understand the point of your queston....but understanding the value of an item is the part of the fun of the hunt when looking for treasures in auctions and flea markets etc.. We ask those questons all the time...what did you pay? What do you think it's worth. If just bought something for $25 bucks I would curious if it has recently sold for $25 or $250 or $2500. I don't want to speak for Dan, but I am sure he loves the pennant and is not looking to flip it, but I would also bet he's curious of it's value.

A friend of mine recently bought a bat for $200 at an antique show and sold it for $4000. So....yeah it matters... :)

slidekellyslide
07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Value is important for more than one reason -sometimes you need to know the value of items for insurance purposes or if you're looking to trade it's always nice to have an idea what something is "worth". I'm not looking to get rid of the pennant -I almost never get rid of anything baseball related anyway, but that doesn't mean i'm not curious as to what this item goes for. And like Joe said it's part of the thrill of the hunt to find valuable items for pennies on the dollar. Tough to do on ebay, but still relatively easy to do in the real world if you look hard enough.

flaco1801
07-10-2006, 04:02 PM
i think if ya find a brooklyn dodgers pennant ya gotta know its value is more than 25 dollars. now you know ya got a good deal. it really makes ya feel better knowing it went fer auction for 250 dollars?.i personally would be happy in the find, and the enjoyment of ther piece. im always the odd one. ive been collecting for over 25 years and to this day i have NEVER sold an item i have purchased. i have given stuff away, and once i sold a jacket at cost when i got 5 of them. i buy because i like what i find, if it happens to be valued at a great deal more than i paid fine, my nephew will be very happy one day. i just have a hard time equating value to a recent purchase already knowing i got a good price. i know im "different". sorry to offend anyone its just "me"

slidekellyslide
07-10-2006, 04:53 PM
You don't offend me or I would bet anyone else here. Collect what and how you like. The joy for me is not in the value, but the history of the items. With that said I know this stuff is valuable and it only adds to your knowledge to seek out information on the items you pick up for your collection. I have no intention of selling anything in my collection if my son (now 5 year old) ever shows an interest. I wish all this stuff was cheap because there is so much more that I want. :)

vintagesportscollector
07-11-2006, 09:35 AM
No problem here either - no offense taken. I rarely sell thing too. I just like to know the value so I know how far out of arms reach to keep it away from my 4 year old. :)