PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on my first Detroit Tigers game with my 5 year old daughter...

hockeytigers
04-28-2010, 06:41 AM
I am going to the Tigers game tomorrow afternoon and wanted some advice on things to do at the ballpark. I also wanted to get her something game used. Are there any deals to be had at the ballpark? Any suggestions on something to buy her? I'm a football guy so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

TigerSteve
04-28-2010, 07:57 AM
The area with all of the game used stuff is by the Ferris Wheel. Marc Himelstein is in charge of all of the game used stuff. I dont know if $75 is more than you want to spend but if you call, email, or see him at the stand you can probably reserve the lineup card from the dugout from the game you are going to. You can probably get a ball for around $35 I believe.

Here is his email. He will respond quickly.
marc.himelstein@detroittigers.com

Hope that helps some,
have fun,
-Steve

tigerdale
04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
I agree w/ TigerSteve. For a 5 year old girl, they have a ferris wheel & merry go round she would enjoy. The tigers mascot PAWS is always walking around & enjoys pictures taken of him w/ people. For a meal, they have a 5 dollar kids meal where a toy is included. The cheapest game used is a ball for 35...you can get one from any game this season...even the one you go to. Take her into guest services too, tell them its her first game & they usually do something for her. Also, theres a kids club you could sign her up along the concourse somewhere. If you get there early, its very easy to get right along the rail for batting practice, maybe a player would even give her a ball.. ENJOY the day w/ her!!

skyking26
04-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Thursday afternoon games at Comerica are very nice. The weather is going to cooperate as well. Sunny and about 70! I enjoy taking my wife and kids down there on day games as parking is as terrible as Tiger Stadium was. Anywhere is a bit of a walk, even their garage at night...

The guys, Tigerdale and TigerSteve have given excellent directions. You should have a great day indeed.

hockeytigers
04-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys!! I called Marc and reserved a lineup card and game used baseball for tomorrow's game. He is a very nice guy.

Thanks for all your help!!!!! My daughter is very excited!

I have a feeling I could be dropping a few bucks tomorrow...:)

skyking26
04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys!! I called Marc and reserved a lineup card and game used baseball for tomorrow's game. He is a very nice guy.

Thanks for all your help!!!!! My daughter is very excited!

I have a feeling I could be dropping a few bucks tomorrow...:)
Sometimes memories are more important than $$ spent.

hockeytigers
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Exactly!! It is our first experience at a pro sporting event so I wanted to make it something she will remember!!

tigerdale
04-28-2010, 01:40 PM
we will be anxious to hear how your day went. TAKE PHOTOS!!!

gingi79
04-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Sometimes memories are more important than $$ spent.

Here, hear! Who wouldn't kill for the lineup card and a game used ball from their first game with their dad or son/daughter?

I would love to get my hands on a ball or lineup card from 8/11/85 Cubs at Mets.

Cherish the day man, I know my dad and I did.

hockeytigers
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Just wanted to give everyone an update...

The game was great!! My daughter and I had a blast!

Marc (the game used guy with the Tigers) was a great guy! We bought the first base from todays game and a game used baseball from todays game as well. The lineup card was given to Magglio because he recorded his 2,000th hit and Marc said that they give those to the players. He said it was only the second or third time that a person reserved the lineup card and was unable to obtain it. ...that's pretty typical of my luck.:)

I took a few photos and they are below. Jim Leyland came over before the game and we were lucky enough to get a photo with him.

It was a day I will never forget!! Thanks for all your suggestions...you helped make it an awesome experience for my daughter and I!!

MLB_Authentic
04-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Thats awesome! It looks like you two had a great time. She will remember that for a long, long time.

hockeytigers
04-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Since this is a game used site...here are photos of the ball and the base. :)

Dewey2007
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Just wanted to give everyone an update...

The game was great!! My daughter and I had a blast!

Marc (the game used guy with the Tigers) was a great guy! We bought the first base from todays game and a game used baseball from todays game as well. The lineup card was given to Magglio because he recorded his 2,000th hit and Marc said that they give those to the players. He said it was only the second or third time that a person reserved the lineup card and was unable to obtain it. ...that's pretty typical of my luck.:)

I took a few photos and they are below. Jim Leyland came over before the game and we were lucky enough to get a photo with him.

It was a day I will never forget!! Thanks for all your suggestions...you helped make it an awesome experience for my daughter and I!!

Chris, glad to hear you and your daughter had such a wonderful time today! The pic of her knocked out in her car seat is priceless. Plus Dontrelle got the win so all in all it sounds like a great day at the ballpark!

Best,
Dewey

soxfan
04-29-2010, 05:43 PM
That's a great story!!

I dont want to jack this post, but I am going to be doing the same thing with my daughter in Sept. in Seattle when the Red Sox come to town. She will only be a few months old, but it will be her very first Red Sox and baseball game and I love the idea of reserving the lineup card and a ball from that game.

Does anyone know who I could call in Seattle for that?

Thanks!

Jeremy
macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

rwoodsbats
04-29-2010, 07:01 PM
I would try calling Craig he is the manager at the Mariners team store at Safeco Field, he might be able to help you out. (206) 346-4287

rwoodsbats
04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Thank you for sharing your story with us. You both will remember that day for a long time. Awesome photos and game used items!! Those are the kind of items that you will look at in the years to come and will bring a smile to your face! Enjoy!!

scottanservitz
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Simply awesome story and pics. Thanks for sharing!

jppopma
04-30-2010, 02:53 AM
Great pics and a great game. I was there with my 3 year old son as well. If you plan to take her to more games, I'd suggest looking at these spring games and then in the fall. Even up in Detroit, it can get hot in the summer. Hot + kids = long long game (or short if you give in to go home in the 5th).

Nice pick up on the game ball, Mags 2,000 hit game ball will be worth a bit more than the $35 pre-order price. Sorry I don't get on here more often, I'd have met up with you at the game.

If you plan for other games, Sundays are great and the kids can run the bases after the game (kids club membership is well worth the price to get in the kids club line; which goes 1st). Another good idea is the 8/22 game which is the on field photo day. You won't get pictures with all of the players, but about the half the team if you get there right away and land a good spot in the front row. The pictures with the kids and players look awesome signed also and are worth more than any collectible in my book.

Let me know if you need any other info.

John

Mark17
04-30-2010, 03:11 AM
This was a very fun thread to read. Thanks to everyone who posted!

I had experienced this game from the other side, overcast day in Minnesota, listening to my Twins on the radio, getting shut out..... Now I do feel a little better about it I guess.

:-)

tigerdale
04-30-2010, 06:09 AM
glad you both had a great time.....those photos are priceless!! Her asleep in the car seat says it all!!! Dont forget to check your hologram number on the baseball....most balls from the tigers this season are going to detail the ball right to the event where it was taken out of play...