PDA

View Full Version : Question for Museoven

godwulf
04-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I saw a bat at the DBacks Team Shop tonight with the words, in script, "El Yola" (or maybe "El Yolo") where the player name would normally go, and it had '9' on the knob and barrel end. Matt Williams, now the First Base coach, has got his old #9 back this year, but last year it was worn by Gerardo Parra, and most of the bats in the shop are from last year or older. Does "El Yola" (or "El Yolo") mean anything that could be somebody's nickname...and, if so, do you think it's possible that it could be Parra's?

MUSEOVEN
04-26-2010, 07:39 AM
I saw a bat at the DBacks Team Shop tonight with the words, in script, "El Yola" (or maybe "El Yolo") where the player name would normally go, and it had '9' on the knob and barrel end. Matt Williams, now the First Base coach, has got his old #9 back this year, but last year it was worn by Gerardo Parra, and most of the bats in the shop are from last year or older. Does "El Yola" (or "El Yolo") mean anything that could be somebody's nickname...and, if so, do you think it's possible that it could be Parra's?
hello godwulf :) : el yolo is gerardo parra nickname.. i have 3 of his bat but only with his number..i think it is a possible game used bat

http://blogs.noticias24.com/beisbol/2009/05/20/gerardo-parra-trato-de-estar-concentrado-antes-del-juego-audio/

godwulf
04-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey, thanks a million for your answer - very much appreciated!

The bat in the Team Shop is a natural Mizuno, with a bad handle crack and some big slices missing, but I think I'm going to try to get it anyway; the people at the Team Shop are not going to know whose bat it is, and they usually sell "mystery" bats pretty cheaply.

I have a couple of Parra's bats now - an American Bat Co. MDL 13-M, from '09 Spring Training, and a regular season Nokona from last year.

Thanks again!

godwulf
04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
I totally forgot to ask: what does "El Yolo" mean, anyway?

I've asked a couple of Spanish-speaking coworkers, and they have no clue.

I'll post a photo of the bat in the 'April Pickups' column in the next day or two. I was wrong, it's not a Mizuno, but an "SSK". I don't think I have any SSK bats in my collection - none that I can recall.

As I suspected, the Team Shop people didn't have a clue whose bat it was (and I wasn't about to tell them and cost myself a lot of money), so they let me have it for $50. If they'd known it was Parra's, it would have been at least $125.

MUSEOVEN
04-27-2010, 07:39 AM
I totally forgot to ask: what does "El Yolo" mean, anyway?

I've asked a couple of Spanish-speaking coworkers, and they have no clue.

I'll post a photo of the bat in the 'April Pickups' column in the next day or two. I was wrong, it's not a Mizuno, but an "SSK". I don't think I have any SSK bats in my collection - none that I can recall.

As I suspected, the Team Shop people didn't have a clue whose bat it was (and I wasn't about to tell them and cost myself a lot of money), so they let me have it for $50. If they'd known it was Parra's, it would have been at least $125.
HELLO GODWULF: EL YOLO IS A VENEZUELAN NICKNAME AND DONT MEAN NOTHING, IS ONLY A WORD.. HE IS FROM MARACAIBO AND IN THATH PLACE EVERYBODY HAVE A RARE NICKNAME.. THANKS;)

spartakid
04-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Museoven, I know that Pablo Sandoval is from Venezuela, does he have a nickname there? (Other than the Panda which I'm assuming started when he got to the Major League.

MUSEOVEN
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Museoven, I know that Pablo Sandoval is from Venezuela, does he have a nickname there? (Other than the Panda which I'm assuming started when he got to the Major League.
PANDOVAL OR BIG PABLO.-

godwulf
04-27-2010, 08:43 AM
HELLO GODWULF: EL YOLO IS A VENEZUELAN NICKNAME AND DONT MEAN NOTHING, IS ONLY A WORD.. HE IS FROM MARACAIBO AND IN THATH PLACE EVERYBODY HAVE A RARE NICKNAME.. THANKS;)

Thanks, again!

spartakid
04-27-2010, 07:07 PM
PANDOVAL OR BIG PABLO.-

Thanks, just curious.