PDA

View Full Version : Memorable Freebies

EurekaDave
07-07-2006, 11:10 AM
In this pay-as-you-go hobby there are sometimes shining moments, a collectible that is free and therefore especially memorable.

Years ago I took a picture of Red Sox Firstbaseman George Scott. I had a print made of it, framed it and gave it to him. He reached into his batrack and pulled out a Louisville Slugger signature bat and gave it to me. I was walking on a cloud for months after that.

PS: At a card show after his retirement, Scott refused to sign the bat because he was contracted to sign only baseballs and photos. Incredulous, I said, "You gave it to me!" He relented. That took the lustre off the gift bat, but it has also enhanced the story. Let's hear yours and thanks for the threads.

metsbats
07-08-2006, 12:48 PM
During the 2000 season I was given a empty champagne bottle and a 2000 Wild card Budweiser poster that hung in the Mets locker room during the post game celebration by one of the local memorabilia dealers whom I usually get buy my stuff from.

-David

psmachetti
07-09-2006, 11:28 AM
I collect hockey goalie game worns , and autoe'd memorabilia . Well I was informed thru a hockey board that Eddie Giacomin was offering personalized 11X14 autoed posters for $25. You actually sent the payment directly to Eddie at his home. Well I wrote him a letter thanking him for the offer letting him know what I wanted on the poster, and telling him why he was my hockey idol. Well I got the poster in the mail , personalized exactly as I requested andfound a handwritten note from Eddie and 2 free "honorary guest" passes to the Hockey Hall of Fame signed by Eddie. Very cool.
Paul