PDA

View Full Version : Old Yankee Stadium Coming Down...

kylehess10
04-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Yankee Stadium is coming down and looks to be near completion of the demolition. Not too much is standing. Anybody know if there's any type of events being held for when the last bit is taken down, or if there's a specific date of when demolition will be complete?

*Photos come from www.stadiumpage.com (http://www.stadiumpage.com)

http://www.stadiumpage.com/yankee418/yankeedemo_041810_16.JPG

http://www.stadiumpage.com/yankee418/yankeedemo_041810_21.JPG

http://www.stadiumpage.com/yankee418/yankeedemo_041810_4.JPG

http://www.stadiumpage.com/yankee418/yankeedemo_041810_5.JPG

http://www.stadiumpage.com/yankee418/yankeedemo_041810_8.JPG

LastingsMilledge85
04-21-2010, 11:01 PM
My question is that why did they wait so long to finally tear it down? Shea Stadium was taken down shortly after the end of the 2008 season.

kylehess10
04-21-2010, 11:15 PM
My question is that why did they wait so long to finally tear it down? Shea Stadium was taken down shortly after the end of the 2008 season.

They've been tearing it down since April, 2009. They're just taking forever to actually demolish it. Shea's demolition was complete in February, 2008, after just a couple months. Not sure why Yankee Stadium needs its precious time.

cjclong
04-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I seem to be one of the few, but I really hate to see it happen.

Tedw9
04-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I seem to be one of the few, but I really hate to see it happen.

Your not alone. I'm a Red Sox fan and it kills me to see those pictures. You will never be able to replace the history that place held.

And I'm sorry Yankee fans, but the new stadium will never be Yankee Stadium to me. There was only one Yankee Stadium. :(

cjclong
04-26-2010, 08:51 AM
I was really disappointed that Yankee fans didn't seem to care about the old Stadium being destroyed. We live in Texas and tired to make a trip up and go to some Yankee games every year or two. I made a point of getting tickets for the last game at the old Yankee Stadium. I'll have to say I have a lot of respect for the Red Sox fans in keeping Fenway. Despite its problems the Sox fans are keeping their history while the Yankees tore theirs down. I have felt no desire to make the effort to come up from Texas to see the new stadium.

BULBUS
04-26-2010, 10:08 AM
I'll have to say I have a lot of respect for the Red Sox fans in keeping Fenway. Despite its problems the Sox fans are keeping their history while the Yankees tore theirs down.

The Fans had a say in this??? I'm sure if Yankee fans were asked and allowed to vote on it, the old stadium would still have baseball games being played there. Like any new stadium, it was built to make more money for the owners. Its only a matter of time before Fenway is leveled. I don't think they can add anymore seats above the green monster :p

cjclong
04-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Obviously the fans didn't get a vote. But all the fans I talked to didn't seem too upset. As I said, I got tickets to the last two games at the old Yankee stadium and the attitude seemed to be that the stadium had a lot of memories but it was old and time for a new one. Maybe this was not the prevailing attitude among all the fans, but it sure was among people I talked to.

karamaxjoe
04-26-2010, 05:14 PM
And I'm sorry Yankee fans, but the new stadium will never be Yankee Stadium to me. There was only one Yankee Stadium. :(

They tore down Yankee Stadium in the early seventies. The stadium coming down now was a bland copy of the original and nothing like the original.......imho.

kylehess10
04-26-2010, 10:36 PM
They tore down Yankee Stadium in the early seventies. The stadium coming down now was a bland copy of the original and nothing like the original.......imho.

They tore down the ENTIRE stadium in the 70's? Or did they just take down part? I know about their renovation they had but I never really knew how much was taken down and rebuilt.

STLHAMMER32
04-27-2010, 12:32 AM
They tore down the ENTIRE stadium in the 70's? Or did they just take down part? I know about their renovation they had but I never really knew how much was taken down and rebuilt.

They didn't tear it down entirely it just went through a huge remodeling process. I think the point he was making was that it wasn't kept in it's original state and once they changed the dimensions and some of the appearance, the stadium was no longer "old yankee stadium" but a new version. That is the way I feel about it at least . I enjoy seeing video and photos of the stadium before they rennovated it. It had such a unique quality about it that I can't really explain. Maybe it was the fact Mantle, Maris, Dimaggio and the other yankee greats roamed the outfield. Or the fat the monuments were actually in Centerfield.

If anyone hasn't seen the movie 61* yet, I would highly recommend seeing it. Tremendous film and Billy Crystal does a great job bringing the old stadium back to life with the help of tiger stadium and some computer work.

karamaxjoe
04-27-2010, 07:43 AM

What I was trying to say was once they took down the copper frieze that lined the roof, they killed the look of old Yankee Stadium. The Stadium from the 70s to its demise was NOT the Yankee Stadium, but a modern replica.

cjclong
04-27-2010, 08:00 AM
I know there were changes. My father took me to two games there in 1962 before the changes were made. But although the stadium was altered it was still exactly where all the great events from the 1920's to the present took place. The changes were small in comparison with tearing the whole thing down and moving across the street. The attitude of , they made some changes in it in the 1970's so who cares if they tear it down now is EXACTLY the attitude I found among most New York fans. Which is why I said I thought I was part of a small group that was sad it was torn down.