PDA

View Full Version : Triumph & Tragedy in the Rockies - RIP Keli McGregor

xpress34
04-21-2010, 09:02 PM
I was going to post this yesterday, but the site would not come up for the better part of the day...

This week has been one of the highest highs - Saturday 4/17/10 as Ubaldo Jimenez No Hits the Braves at Turner Field for the 1st No Hitter in Rockies History.

Three days later, the lowest of lows as tragedy strikes - Tuesday 4/20/10 when Rockies President Keli McGregor is found dead in his hotel room in Salt Lake City, UT.

For those of you who didn't know Keli (or even know who he was), we lost one of the great ones Tuesday.

As a Rockies fan living here in Denver, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Keli on many occasions and I have to say you would be seriously hard pressed to find a better person in all of MLB. Keli was giving of his time not only with the team, but with the fans and would regularly come down to the stands and sit and chat about the Rox and baseball in general.

It's really weird for me because I just saw Keli out back of Coors Field this past Thursday (he was running) and I was going to ask him to sign my All Time Rox shirt as he has been with the team for 17 years at the time of his death. I decided not to bug him (I have him on the bat already) figuring I would just catch him later - that's how accessible he was to the fans.

This is a picture of me with Keli from a few years ago... Keli was a 2 Time All American Wide Receiver at Colorado State University before being drafted by the Broncos and playing a few years in the NFL. To put Keli's sheer size into perspective (he was about 6'7" and 260lbs), I am 6'1", about 240lbs and Keli is standing in the row BELOW me (I'm in the Rox Jersey) in this picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/McGregor.jpg

My prayers are with your family and the Rockies family during this very difficult time.

Rest in Peace Keli - you will be missed.

- Christopher R Smith

xpress34
04-22-2010, 08:36 PM
The Rockies have pushed back their Sunday tilt with the Marlins in order to host a Memorial Service for Keli on Sunday Morning at Coors Field.

They have also asked fan to wear Rockies PURPLE for the weekend series as a tribute to Keli.

sox83cubs84
04-24-2010, 01:16 PM
The Rockies are now wearing a KSM memoriam patch for McGregor. It was on the left chest of the black vests a couple of nights ago. Thanks to Murf Denny for input on this.

Dave M.
Chicago area

xpress34
04-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Dave -

They started wearing the patch on the sleeve of their Road Grey the night after Keli's passing. They didn't have time to get the unis ready fro the game the day Keli passed.

I have talked to some friends with the Rockies and I will be attending the Memorial Service tomorrow morning at Coors Field.

All the best -

Chris