PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have problems buying set two jerseys?

Fnazxc0114
04-21-2010, 08:00 PM
I have a few set two jerseys in my collection. I would rather have a set one but i bought what was available at the time. Anybody else have any reluctance buying a set two jersey?

legaleagle92481
04-21-2010, 08:33 PM
I have a few set two jerseys in my collection. I would rather have a set one but i bought what was available at the time. Anybody else have any reluctance buying a set two jersey?

None at all. you gotta take what you can get in some sports like hockey set 2 jerseys are worn for awhile so it is no big deal, i could careless what was worn at the start of the season in fact i would rather have something worn late in the year during playoff race time.

Jayworld
04-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Nope, set 2 is fine with me. I always feel privileged just to be able to acquire a jersey, so I'm always proud of it, regardless of Set 1 or 2.

ziggy
04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Sets no longer carry much significance in baseball...I have had a set 1, set 2 and set 3 of a player from same season with Set 1 showing no use and set 3 showing tons of use. I guess they put them in the locker and the player chooses what he wants to wear.

Fnazxc0114
04-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Only reason i ask is at the rangers fanfest this year i bough a few of their higher end jerseys, and thought it was odd that there was no set number. Upon further inspection i found that they moved the tags. I verified through phone on mlb hologram database when they were certified. Something else difft for 2010 jerseys is the absense of wash tags. Some have them and some dont. My andrus jersey is a set two, but it has team repairs that i could probably try to photomatch. And the hamilton is a set two as well. I dont have a problem with them but wish i would have looked harder at them when i bought them.

Mattapan03
04-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Not all at. Players go through at least few jersey's per season and many Set 2's shows some nice use.

For example: A doubleheader. Without enough time to turnaround the laundry, a 2nd set of jerseys are used.

In baseball. Set 2's are fine in my book

BIGSTIG
04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Now a days these players are so spoiled and with the game used industry being what it is they (players and teams) are (pardon my french) but whores when it comes to the jerseys, equipment, etc.

I have seen .......

Alfonso Soriano Home jersey set 12
Aramis Ramirez Home set 9
Greg Maddux set 21 (that is almost a new one every start)
Geovany Soto in 2009 used appx 8 sets of catchers gear
(really are they made so cheap you need a new one every 4 weeks???)

Back in the day (for me is the 80's) but a set number 4 was HIGH. Now I see a four and dont blink. Jerseys now are just not what they use to be. It is a shame that this hobby has turned into such a business. Let me tell you, if these guys would wear a jersey for 40 games in a season, I would pay a LOT more for it, but I guess these teams, agents etc. want quantity over quality. What a shame.

Just my two cents

legaleagle92481
04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Now a days these players are so spoiled and with the game used industry being what it is they (players and teams) are (pardon my french) but whores when it comes to the jerseys, equipment, etc.

I have seen .......

Alfonso Soriano Home jersey set 12
Aramis Ramirez Home set 9
Greg Maddux set 21 (that is almost a new one every start)
Geovany Soto in 2009 used appx 8 sets of catchers gear
(really are they made so cheap you need a new one every 4 weeks???)

Back in the day (for me is the 80's) but a set number 4 was HIGH. Now I see a four and dont blink. Jerseys now are just not what they use to be. It is a shame that this hobby has turned into such a business. Let me tell you, if these guys would wear a jersey for 40 games in a season, I would pay a LOT more for it, but I guess these teams, agents etc. want quantity over quality. What a shame.

Just my two cents

I agree. NFL players normally wear a jersey for only one game, some wear two like Favre giving them at least 16 jerseys per season plus playoffs. Baseball players wear an obscene amount of jerseys especially when you factor in the one game special event jerseys, alternate jerseys, etc. If anyone is on the Braves email list, after last season ended they had a whole bunch of Chipper Jones unis going for two grand each and all worn in 2009. In the last few weeks these jerseys have hit MLB auctions starting at 1,500 and by my last count they are now up to number four and these are just the leftovers. In hockey some teams wear six jerseys (home, road and alternative in two sets each) a year not including playoffs and special events. I blame the team rather than the player's because they are the ones selling the jerseys rarely do you see a player hawk his jersey. Like autographs and cards the market will eventually collapse once the supply starts to exceed the demand. There are only so many collectors who are ready, willing and able to purchase many of the higher ticket items and once they have one or two of a particular player they are unlikely to want to buy more of that player. Teams and companies that they have deals with to sell this stuff then will be stuck with it or forced to reduce prices and collectors looking to sell will be left getting pennies on the dollar as they are with autographs and cards. I look at some autographs that I thought I got a "steal" on a few years ago and now I am lucky to recoup half of what I paid and these items are certified and hologramed by major companies and in absolute pristine condition and signed by star players. Which is why I always advocate collecting for fun rather than as an investment and it dismays me to see people investing in this stuff thinking that they will turn a profit in five years on it.

Fnazxc0114
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
good point about supply and demand. I bet the rangers team store has over 1000 jerseys in there. Granted the rangers generally suck. Sometime i feel like im one of only a hand full of people that collect the rangers. I sell a few things here and there, but usually do so to try and upgrade my collection

sox83cubs84
04-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Keep in mind that Rawlings tags 90%+ of their MLB jerseys (on flag tag) as set 1. For Rawlings, the flag tag set number indicates whether the jersey was part of the team's original order (set 1), ordered duing the season (set 2), with the few set 3's limited to 2002 and sourcing from players or their reps (A-Rod, Raffy Roids, and Pudge).

Dave M.
Chicago area

Fnazxc0114
04-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Rangers are wearing cool base now.

sox83cubs84
04-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Regarding set 2 Rawlings flag tags: a dealer who purchased about 200 Rawlings shirts from a team, 1987-91 years, mentioned that only TWO had set 2 flag tags.

Dave M.
Chicago area

flaco1801
04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
dave, that meant set 1 shirts were multiple home and roads (at least 2 set 1 home and road)?

sox83cubs84
04-24-2010, 01:06 PM
dave, that meant set 1 shirts were multiple home and roads (at least 2 set 1 home and road)?

Correct.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Mattapan03
04-27-2010, 09:09 PM
While we are on the topic of jersey sets, I noticed something interesting while watching the Dodgers/Mets twinight doubleheader.

The Dodgers seem to have stayed with the same jersey's they wore in the afternoon game for the nightcap. What I find interesting is why they wouldnt wear the SET 2 jersey's during the night game while having the "set 1" jersey's washed while the night game was going on?

I mean, I know the Dodgers have multiple sets of jersey's, so I find it a little odd the players would wear the same jerseys for both games. The Mets on the otherhand switched to their white pinstripe jersey's but obviously they were hat home so they had the option.

So my question is why the Dodgers didnt switch to their 2nd set of jersey's? I know for a fact they always bring them on roadtrips in case something happens to the first set

allstarsplus
04-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Sets no longer carry much significance in baseball...I have had a set 1, set 2 and set 3 of a player from same season with Set 1 showing no use and set 3 showing tons of use. I guess they put them in the locker and the player chooses what he wants to wear.

Yep, Set 1 is sometimes used during Spring Training and Opening Day and that is it.

I have Set E jerseys that are great parts of my collection too as well as some Set 3's to Set 9's!

The main thing is that they are real and are described properly. Don't tell me heavy use if it is light use.