PDA

View Full Version : Got Arod's 585th HR Baseball !!

schubert1970
04-21-2010, 11:51 AM
What a night. I wanted to post earlier, but the site was down.

I was at the game in Oakland last night and Arod hit a 452 ft. bomb, almost into the luxury box seats in left-center. Right afterwards, I offered the guy who scooped up the ball a few $$. We negotiated back and forth for a while and came to a deal.

Some of the bleacher creatures were telling me they've never seen a ball hit in this area before.

Never in my lifetime did I think I would ever get an Arod HR baseball while attending the game.

suave1477
04-21-2010, 12:05 PM
GREAT JOB!!

Just curious was anyone on hand to Authenticate it? Meaning MLB.

If not do everything you can to document it. Get videos and anything else you can think of. Including saving your ticket.

April 10, 1962
04-21-2010, 12:15 PM
MLB will not authenticate the ball because it went into the stands. They're very strict on authenticating home runs because of the possibility of a switcheroo with another ball. The only home runs they will authenticate are the balls that are specially marked. They might be willing to authenticate a ball that hits a high wall above the home run line and bounces back to the field and doesn't go into the stands.

tigerdale
04-21-2010, 12:23 PM
great job....what a thrill.
The tigers will authenticate home run balls...as long as they dont go in the stands...a majority of the ones at comerica land in the bullpen & get authenticated.

schubert1970
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I have no chance of getting it authenticated, but it doesn't matter to me.
I knew when I bought it from they guy it wouldn't have any re-sale value in the memorabilia market. This is why I didn't pay too much for it.

I'm going to get Arod to sign it and place it in the case with my HR #522 bat I got a few years ago.

It's just a great story my friends and I will talk about forever.

April 10, 1962
04-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I knew when I bought it from they guy it wouldn't have any re-sale value in the memorabilia market. This is why I didn't pay too much for it.

I'm going to get Arod to sign it and place it in the case with my HR #522 bat I got a few years ago.

To me, that's the true spirit of game used collecting...for your personal memories! Congrats on a great piece.

justinbittner220
04-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Whether authenticated or not, that is awesome. Congrats on getting a homerun ball. I've been dying to find some Guerrero homerun balls for years.

byergo
04-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Don't assume that the ball has no value in the secondary market just because MLB didn't put a hologram on it.

GU memorabilia was collected long before modern authentication and your ticket stub, other supporting evidence and what not will make it very appealing to many potential buyers should you decide to part with it.

For one thing, print out this thread and save it as additional supporting documentation of your ownership.

Congrats on a great catch!

allstarsplus
04-21-2010, 01:40 PM

That is a great story. There are a few guys on here that collect HR baseballs the same way you got yours.

Just my .02 of advice, even though you don't plan on selling it now, there are some things you should do as 50 years down the road your family may want to sell it.

Keep your game ticket with the baseball and maybe you can get a screenshot of the guy getting the ball in the game. If you got the phone number of the person who caught it, you can always get a letter from him attesting to the story as I would think it is a valuable ball with or without a MLB #'d hologram.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

sox83cubs84
04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
NICE WORK!:) :) :) :)

Dave M.
Chicago area

joelsabi
04-21-2010, 02:01 PM
That is a great story. There are a few guys on here that collect HR baseballs the same way you got yours.

Just my .02 of advice, even though you don't plan on selling it now, there are some things you should do as 50 years down the road your family may want to sell it.

Keep your game ticket with the baseball and maybe you can get a screenshot of the guy getting the ball in the game. If you got the phone number of the person who caught it, you can always get a letter from him attesting to the story as I would think it is a valuable ball with or without a MLB #'d hologram.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

good points. its always nice to consider the long term value of the item and documentation would be in the forefront of its future value. there are circumstance where selling is necessary even though it is the furthest idea on your mind. it's something to consider. maybe you can get video of the guy catching the ball and all getting a notorized letter from the person who caught it.

punch
04-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Great story, you're lucky. Any chance you'll tell us what you paid for it? I'm curious what someone would give up an A-rod HR ball for.

schubert1970
04-22-2010, 06:36 PM
I paid $400 the ball. I'm sure we can debate the price, but figured I wouldn't get another chance at this.

Here is a pick of the guy I bought it off of.

I'm the dude on the right.

CollectGU
04-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Please contact me if you are interested in selling the ball for a very nice profit

Thanks,
Dave

djob0001@yahoo.com

shafrancollectibles.com
04-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Great job getting the ball. Just as important, good choice in beer - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!

Ignorance abound
04-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Bill,

You paid next to nothing for it. Nice....

NeonStatus
04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I must have seen you on tv then. Because they showed where the ball bounced. Funny thing is, I was just thinking about an actual hr ball today.