PDA

View Full Version : McGwire Collectors - Did anyone on here bid on the 92 Helmet in GFA?

panthrotc
04-15-2010, 01:17 PM
I ended up winning it, i figured it would go for what i paid since his helmets are probably the rarest of his memorabilia to surface, i was just curious if their was anyone here that bid on the helmet.

skyking26
04-15-2010, 02:24 PM
I ended up winning it, i figured it would go for what i paid since his helmets are probably the rarest of his memorabilia to surface, i was just curious if their was anyone here that bid on the helmet.
What did you end up paying for it? I would have bid had I known about it...

mattmueller
04-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I had early bids, but let it go. That is the only helmet I have seen with a team letter. Nice pickup.

mattmueller
04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I received an email and a PM regarding this item after I made my post above. Both messages contained the respective individual's research, which resulted in each of them not bidding on the helmet. Excerpts are:

The green sticker over the ABC logo and the position of the 25 ABOVE the logo. Can you locate one photo of MAC or any player from the A’s during the 1992 ALCS with either of these characteristics on their helmet? I found quite a few photos from this event, but none showing helmets like this.

The LOA-it notes the helmet was specifically worn in the ALCS, 1992. Note the date of the LOA-1999. 7 years after this event, the equipment manager has such keen memory that not only can he remember it was worn in 1992, but specifically the ALCS, 1992? Was it stored or marked by the A’s in such as way, allowing it to be noted on an official LOA 7 years after the fact?

Show me one picture from 1992 where the numbers of the helmet are aligned the way they are. I was provided proof in 1992 both regular season and ALCS the numbers aren't right. It should have the MLB logo on the left side of the helmet near the left ear flap. Then ABC logo should be centered, then to the right near the cut out for the ear on the right side should be the number.

I also got a picture of the date wheel, which shows the helmet being from March 1990. Seems off how in 1992 they'd use a helmet made in the spring of 1990. I'm a long time A's fan and have never seen the numbers on the helmet in this location during the early 1990's. All red flags. Plus the LOA is dated 7 years after the supposed year of the helmet. Why would it be lying around for 7 years?

Just passing along the information in the event that the original poster was not aware.

Regards,
Matt

skyking26
04-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Interesting Matt!