PDA

View Full Version : Unique 2006 Mets tagging

GrndSlm
07-05-2006, 11:30 PM
I recently bought a 2006 Orlando Hernandez jersey from Steiner Sports and it had a very unique tagging. It doesnt show a size tag and the set number is "E". Any thoughts on this ?

Juan Iglesias

Eric
07-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Juan

interesting detail. Any pics of the tagging?
Eric

GrndSlm
07-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Can I email it to you? I guess I am a forum rookie and havent figured out how to post the image....

Juan

trsent
07-06-2006, 12:54 AM
You can email it to me and I'll post it on the forum. I am also curious to see it. Send to: joel@alpert.net

cbb5
07-06-2006, 06:07 AM
This is not unique to this year. Set "E" has appeared in past years on several jerseys that I have seen. I am guessing it means "extra". Hernandez came over in a trade and the jersey was most likely made up with an extra blank that the team had for such purposes. I would like to verify with Charlie Samuels somehow, but he is almost impossible to get hold of.
Chris

tknorm
07-06-2006, 07:48 PM
I had heard that Set E was for "end" of the year, and several 2004 Mets jerseys I saw with set E tags had the Bob Murphy patch that was worn in August and September. This El Duque jersey being a current year makes me think E might not be End of Year. Anyone else have any ideas?

metsbats
07-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Starting in 2003 the Mets starting tagging jersey's with set 1 - 6 and set E. I don't believe there were any other alpha sets other than E.

I took a survey of what has been offered in GF auctions since 2003 and here's what I came up with:

-2003 Tom Glavine Home White set 2, sz 44, +1"Slv +1" body
-2003 Mike Piazza Black Home set 3, sz 50
-2003 Mike Piazza Home White set 6, sz 50
-2003 Mike Stanton Home white set 1, sz 48 +1"body, +1"Slv
-2003 Jeremy Burnitz BLK road set 3, sz 50
-2003 Jason Philips Home Pinstripe set E,sz 50
-2003 Ty Wigginton Home Pinstripe set 2, sz 50
-2003 Al Leiter BlK road set 2, sz 50 +1"body
-2003 Al Leiter BlK home set 4, sz 48, +1" body
-2004 Kaz Matsui Blk Home set 5, sz 46 -1 " Slv -2" body, No Murphy patch
-2004 Kaz Matsui Home pinstripe set 5,sz 46 +1" Slv -2" body, no Murphy patch
-2004 Mike Cameron White home set3, sz 50 +1" Slv, No Murphy patch
-2004 Jose Reyes Grey Road set2, sz 44 no Murphy patch
-2004 David Wright Black home set E sz 46 Murphy patch
-2005 Carlos Beltran Blk Road set 1 sz 48, +2" Slv

I have in my collection

-2003 Mike Piazza grey road set 4, sz 50 +1" body -1" Slv
-2004 Mike Piazza white home set E sz 50, Murphy patch
-2004 Tom Glavine BLk road set 6, sz 44 +1" slv +2" body

I still can't figure out the rhyme or reason behind the multiple numeric sets or set E's?

I've been told there can be multiple set number or letters for example there may be multiple set E jersey's of a player.

-David

GrndSlm
07-06-2006, 10:23 PM
David, thanks for your help. I have been collecting for over 20 years and I have learned that you can always use more information on tagging habits. Thanks again !!

Joel, I emailed you the photo of the 2006 El Duke jersey.

Thanks again guys

Juan Iglesias

GrndSlm
07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Chris, I appreciate you taking the time to post the photos.....

trsent
07-06-2006, 10:27 PM
David, thanks for your help. I have been collecting for over 20 years and I have learned that you can always use more information on tagging habits. Thanks again !!

Joel, I emailed you the photo of the 2006 El Duke jersey.

Thanks again guys

Juan Iglesias

Whoop! Here it is:

stkmtimo
07-07-2006, 08:00 AM
I recently bought a 2006 Orlando Hernandez jersey from Steiner Sports and it had a very unique tagging. It doesnt show a size tag and the set number is "E". Any thoughts on this ?

Juan Iglesias

Juan,
Can you tell me how you bought that Steiner jersey? Was it via their website? I don't really collect Mets jerseys (I'm a Yankee fan myself) but I only see an Edwin Almonte game used jersey available on their site; is there another site for Mets gamers?

Thanks,
Tim

Thunderhead51
07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Tim,

Check in with Bob Malandro at Steiner. They don't have the Mets items up and listed like they do the Yankees just yet. I spoke with him this week and they are still going through a lot of items/cataloging everything. They just got a shipment of things in and are expecting another batch of stuff during/after the All-Star break. Just drop him an email with what you are looking for and he'll throw you back an idea of what they have and prices.

More of an open question to the Mets collectors out there, just how many sets of jerseys do they use? I've now seen them where they go up to a Set 6? Does this mean that each style has 6 sets to them PLUS the "E" set too? So is there really 7 sets of jerseys x 5 styles? Does a typical, every day Mets player go through 35 jerseys a season? I'd think that some of the bigger names like Wright, Martinez or Glavine may have go through a few more than that and those extras be used for charity type items. I generally collect hockey gamers so I'm used to seeing NHL teams go through 4 sets with the minor league levels (AHL, ECHL) go through 2 and even lower leagues (LNAH/QSPHL) recycling for mutiple seasons at a time! Granted, totally different sports, different shirts, different materials etc etc etc. Just thought it was a bit excessive to go through that many but hopefully my math is off :D

stkmtimo
07-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Tim,
Check in with Bob Malandro at Steiner. They don't have the Mets items up and listed like they do the Yankees just yet. I spoke with him this week and they are still going through a lot of items/cataloging everything. They just got a shipment of things in and are expecting another batch of stuff during/after the All-Star break. Just drop him an email with what you are looking for and he'll throw you back an idea of what they have and prices.

Thunderhead - Don't want to "hijack" Juan's thread, but can you please post Bob's email address? I do not know it and would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Juan - Do you have a picture available of the full Hernandez jersey? It sounds great (I primarily collect pitcher's gamers)!

Tim

Thunderhead51
07-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Juan - Did they or the LOA state how many games ElDuke used the jersey? I think they wore the black alt road ones vs NYY a couple weeks ago. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just saw the tagging questions and was wondering about how many they actually go through.

Tim - Bob's email is bmalandro@steinersports.com

metsbats
07-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Tim,

More of an open question to the Mets collectors out there, just how many sets of jerseys do they use? I've now seen them where they go up to a Set 6? Does this mean that each style has 6 sets to them PLUS the "E" set too? So is there really 7 sets of jerseys x 5 styles? Does a typical, every day Mets player go through 35 jerseys a season? I'd think that some of the bigger names like Wright, Martinez or Glavine may have go through a few more than that and those extras be used for charity type items. I generally collect hockey gamers so I'm used to seeing NHL teams go through 4 sets with the minor league levels (AHL, ECHL) go through 2 and even lower leagues (LNAH/QSPHL) recycling for mutiple seasons at a time! Granted, totally different sports, different shirts, different materials etc etc etc. Just thought it was a bit excessive to go through that many but hopefully my math is off :D

Tim,

Good question. From what I hear the Mets do not make up 35 jerseys for each player. When a jersey is made up for a player it is randomly taken from the available sets. So you may see Wright set E, set 3, set 4 and a Glavine set 6, set 5. Also there may be multiple jerseys of a particular set for a player for example 2 jerseys marked set 1 for Reyes.

This is all the info I've been able to find out and I agree it does not make sense but I was told it's was a cost cutting process.

With all the multiple set's I can't see how.

-David

rjdgonebats
07-07-2006, 08:11 PM
I also have a 2004 David Wright jersey with the Tug Mcgraw and Bob Murphy patches.I have not been able to find out much about the set E label either. It seems to be a guessing game but one thing stands out ,that for the most part they appear to be late season jersey's in almost all of the Jersey's I have seen. I guess we will never know for sure unless Charlie Samuels, mets Equipment manager lets it be known.

Eric
07-07-2006, 10:10 PM
There is currently a set e Pedro Martinez on ebay from esm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pedro-Martinez-Signed-Game-Used-2005-Mets-Jersey-ESM_W0QQitemZ290005427277QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60597Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://elite-sports-marketing.com/Ebay/JULY3/18pm2.jpg

GrndSlm
07-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Thunder, I really didnt ask Bob how many jerseys they go through. But, when Orlando got traded to the Mets I reached out to Bob in order to obtain the jersey. Good question though.....I will try to find out.

Juan

metsbats
07-08-2006, 07:53 AM
There is currently a set e Pedro Martinez on ebay from esm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pedro-Martinez-Signed-Game-Used-2005-Mets-Jersey-ESM_W0QQitemZ290005427277QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60597Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://elite-sports-marketing.com/Ebay/JULY3/18pm2.jpg

Eric,

You just opened up another can of worms. I've just sent and email to Elite and asked them why they think this jersey is "game used". It appears from the photos that this jersey does not have the custom sleeves alterations that Pedros uses on the days he pitches. This jersey most likely is a bench worn jersey and auction houses like Grey Flannel who realize the word is out regarding Pedro and his custom sleeves have advertized these types of jerseys as "bench worn".

-David