PDA

View Full Version : Yankees-Steiner Jerseys For Sale

shafrancollectibles.com
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
***MODERATOR NOTE- THIS THREAD BEGAN AS A "FOR SALE" THREAD. I HAVE MOVED IT TO GAME USED DISCUSSION SINCE THERE IS GOOD INFO HERE. THE ORIGINAL POST CAN BE RE-POSTED ON THE FOR SALE THREAD***

First a quick introduction.

My name is Brad Shafran and I work at a NY auction house with a specialization in Presidential autographs. I also have my own site: www.shafrancollectibles.com (http://www.shafrancollectibles.com/) where I sell a variety of autographs and memorabilia.

I do not have much by way of game worn items up on my site right now, but will gladly offer a 10% discount on any items on the site to anyone from this Forum. Please just e-mail me rather than using my online checkout system.

Also, I am pleased to offer the following NY Yankees game worn jerseys, all with Steiner Sports certification. Pictures gladly provided to anyone interested (they should all be on the site by the end of the week, I hope).

Shipping will be $10 within the Continental USA but if you purchase 2 or more jerseys, I will pick up the shipping. Paypal, checks or money orders gladly accepted.

'05 Rey Sanchez Home - #26 - $285
'95 Bob Wickman Road - tagged "Wickman-95" at bottom - #27 - $350
1996 Melido Perez Road - #33 - tagged "Perez 96" at bottom - $300 (patches removed)
1991 Matt Nokes Home - #38 - tagged "Nokes 91 2" in collar - $325
'97 Jim Mecir Home - #54 - tagged "Mecir 97" at bottom - $285

Feel free to e-mail brad@shafrancollectibles.com with any questions

shafrancollectibles.com
07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
One quick clarification - the Melido Perez jersey was actually worn in 1995 but tagged in 1996. Perez did not return to play with the Yankes in '96. I have made a correction on the price as well.

suave1477
07-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Shanfran ok wait your confusing me!!!
Your saying you have a Melido Perez Jersey he wore in 1995 but the ersey was made a year after he left the team?

shafrancollectibles.com
07-06-2006, 10:27 AM
As quoted to me by Steiner:

The jersey was worn by Melido in 1995, and tagged in 1996 before the Yankees knew he would not return.

That is why I posted a "clarification" - I unfortunately can't offer any further details than that.

I tried to lower the price on the jersey but didn't realize there is no edit function on this forum. The price on it is now $225.

suave1477
07-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Maybe our new Steiner member here can chime in on this one I never heard of a Jersey year being re-tagged????????

shafrancollectibles.com
07-06-2006, 10:46 AM
I don't claim to be an expert on jersey tagging so I can't offer any further info. If anybody feels there is a "problem" with such tagging, I would gladly remove the item and no longer offer it for sale. I am a reputable guy looking to offer items at prices as affordable as I can.

The only reason I made the clarification was Melido shows no stats on baseball-reference for the 1996 season. That is what made me believe the tagging of "96" couldn't be right - I am guessing it could have been recycled from '95 in preparation for the '96 season - maybe worn in pre-season?

suave1477
07-06-2006, 11:00 AM
shanfran im not blaming you or anyone else. All I am saying is I never heard of changing year tags. Name Tags YES, but I never heard of year tags. To the best of my knowledge if a player wears a Jersey into the next season, its just that!!! he wears it they dont switch year tags bcuz its a new season. Then again I could be wrong!!!

trsent
07-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I don't claim to be an expert on jersey tagging so I can't offer any further info. If anybody feels there is a "problem" with such tagging, I would gladly remove the item and no longer offer it for sale. I am a reputable guy looking to offer items at prices as affordable as I can.

The only reason I made the clarification was Melido shows no stats on baseball-reference for the 1996 season. That is what made me believe the tagging of "96" couldn't be right - I am guessing it could have been recycled from '95 in preparation for the '96 season - maybe worn in pre-season?

There is a few issues to think about here.

The Yankees did often recycle jerseys from one year to the next. The jersey could have been used in any number of previous seasons.

Baseball-Reference does show The Yankees paid Melido Perez $4,650,000.00 in 1996. I would assume the jersey was either recycled for him or prepared for him. I can't find any transaction history for him on http://www.retrosheet.org/ to determine when he was officially released from The New York Yankees.

Lastly, since it is a road pitchers jersey use may be minimal, but do you find anything that would lead you to believe the jersey was used or worn for frequent seasons?

It is borderline either way. I would first guess the item to be team issued for the 1996 season, but since I do not find him on the disabled list in 1996 I cannot imagine it was worn in 1996. Maybe you can see sewing marks from where a 1995 tag was removed?

shafrancollectibles.com
07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
There are signs of an arm band removed on the left sleeve as well as a patch from the right sleeve.

The Yanks did pay Perez in '96 but, as mentioned, no indication that he pitched that season.

As I mentioned, not maliciously or in anger, I'll gladly simply no longer offer the item for sale if there are questions on it.

trsent
07-06-2006, 11:28 AM
There are signs of an arm band removed on the left sleeve as well as a patch from the right sleeve.

The Yanks did pay Perez in '96 but, as mentioned, no indication that he pitched that season.

As I mentioned, not maliciously or in anger, I'll gladly simply no longer offer the item for sale if there are questions on it.

I never suggested that you remove the jersey from you sale list, you have done nothing wrong.

suave1477
07-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Dont remove it I would just suggest for you to follow up with Steiner to see if you can get a bit more of a clearer answer. Thats all in case you get a buyer and he questions it you would want to have the right answers for him or her.

shafrancollectibles.com
07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Dont remove it I would just suggest for you to follow up with Steiner to see if you can get a bit more of a clearer answer. Thats all in case you get a buyer and he questions it you would want to have the right answers for him or her.

Exactly. Therefore my reason for saying I would remove it. I am very comfortable with the other jerseys - it is a nice batch of jerseys. I don't want there to be any questions on the part of a potential buyer on this one particular item.

Didn't the Yanks wear an armband in '95 for Mantle? Did they also wear any patches on the right sleeve? The signs of the arm band removal are very obvious as well as a large patch removed from the right sleeve.

suave1477
07-06-2006, 11:55 AM
I believe it was 96 for the arm band!!

psmachetti
07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Aren't these the Yankee jerseys that Bob Malandro over at Steiner was selling for $100? I just picked up a '95 Bob Wickman pinstripe in that sale a little over a week ago.
Paul

suave1477
07-06-2006, 12:32 PM
psmachetti yeah why?

psmachetti
07-06-2006, 12:34 PM
psmachetti yeah why?

Just curious.

suave1477
07-06-2006, 12:42 PM
I wouldnt say it was Bob Malamndro's sale it was Steiners sale he just annoucned it in his blog

Kid4hof03
07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
In 1995, after Mantle's death, I believe in August or so, the Yankees wore a 7 on the sleeve.

Abe

stkmtimo
07-06-2006, 07:05 PM
I wouldnt say it was Bob Malamndro's sale it was Steiners sale he just annoucned it in his blog

Suave, what blog is that? What sale was there? Anything good in it?

Tim

psmachetti
07-06-2006, 09:45 PM
He had some great jerseys on the list. Off the top of my head I can recall :
Bob Wickman, Dan Pasqua, Felix Heredia, Steve Karsay,Ricky Ledee, Chad Curtis,Mel Hall,Sterling Hitchcock,Kevin Elster, Kevin Maas, Mike Stanley, Kenny Rogers.
Some pretty cool names for $100. Great sale! :cool:
Paul

stkmtimo
07-06-2006, 09:49 PM
He had some great jerseys on the list. Off the top of my head I can recall :
Bob Wickman, Dan Pasqua, Felix Heredia, Steve Karsay,Ricky Ledee, Chad Curtis,Mel Hall,Sterling Hitchcock,Kevin Elster, Kevin Maas, Mike Stanley, Kenny Rogers.
Some pretty cool names for $100. Great sale! :cool:
Paul

Paul,
When did that sale take place and where did it take place? Was it online?

Tim

psmachetti
07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
A buddy of mine forwarded the email he received from Bob. I knew nothing about it ,but then I don't check the Steiner site much. Too pricey for me. So honestly I don't know if it was announced publicly or if Bob sent out private emails to his customers. I didn't hear anything or see anything posted in the game worn community so maybe it was not annnounced.
paul

shafrancollectibles.com
07-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Paul -

I am new to this site so maybe I am not all that familiar with the policies but I would appreciate if my "For Sale" posts would not be "taken over" by an off-topic conversation. Yes, Steiner had some jerseys reduced several weeks ago, but no, all these jerseys did not come from there. If you want to discuss prices and sales, etc., it looks like there are plenty of places to do so on the Forum outside of personal "for sale" discussions.

Yankwood
07-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I think if you want to buy this space you can have it all to yourself. Did you pay to own it?

suave1477
07-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Yankwood come on be nice, he is right this was his selling space so let him have it.

Shafran I would suggest at this point to ask Eric to erase this thread and start a new one. Just copy and paste your stuff your selling to the new thread.

shafrancollectibles.com
07-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Suave - That is exactly what I was hoping could be done.

Great start on a new site for me!

suave1477
07-07-2006, 10:06 AM
shafran sorry about that but you are well accepted here, we all sometimes get a little emotional and carried away with Game Used items especially when it comes to Yankees stuff.

trsent
07-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Paul -

I am new to this site so maybe I am not all that familiar with the policies but I would appreciate if my "For Sale" posts would not be "taken over" by an off-topic conversation. Yes, Steiner had some jerseys reduced several weeks ago, but no, all these jerseys did not come from there. If you want to discuss prices and sales, etc., it looks like there are plenty of places to do so on the Forum outside of personal "for sale" discussions.

The originator of this thread is correct, and our conversation should be moved over to the Game Used Memorabilia Discussion thread at his request.

psmachetti
07-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Paul -

I would appreciate if my "For Sale" posts would not be "taken over" by an off-topic conversation.

Since you're new , for future reference the term is "hijacking a thread":rolleyes:
Paul

Yankwood
07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah. Stick-em up buddy. You been hijacked!!!

YanksSteiner
07-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Sorry for the long delay Steiner worked a short week around the 4th.

I actually do recall seeing an order for these jerseys, and In fact the Jersey was tagged in anticipation of Perez returning in 1996. The Yankees VERY often recycled jerseys in the 1980's and 1990's. Even Derek Jeter's first jersey was a retagged Bernie Williams, Hope this info helps some. It is possible for jerseys to be forward tagged by the Yankees. Heck, even Andy Pettite Has 2004 Game Issued jerseys laying around (he didn't return after 2003). ANy other questions on Jersey tagging, feel free to let me know.

BULBUS
07-10-2006, 02:50 PM
isnt it possible that the perez jersey in question was worn by charlie hayes in the 1996 season and /or world series? steiner has sold many 1996 jerseys with the world series patches and armbands removed. perhaps the jersey was made for perez, but when he wasnt on the team for whatever reason, the #33 jersey was given to charlie hayes when he joined the team in 1996. i would say that it is also possible that the jersey could have been recycled into 1997, but david wells wore #33 in '97 and i doubt he could have fit in that jersey :eek:

suave1477
07-10-2006, 02:54 PM
YankSteiner then if that is the case you sold him the Jersey as being Game Used and not issued, which means you also gave him a LOA stating that your comapny agrees it is Game Used.

When you yourself said that it was tagged in anticipation for the player but it never happend!!!

shafrancollectibles.com
07-10-2006, 03:11 PM
If I am sure of anything in this world it is that David Wells could not fit into this jersey!!!

I discussed the jersey with Bob at Steiner and I am comfortable with their assessment that it was game worn by Perez in '95. Hey, maybe it was worn by Hayes in '96 and even worn in the World Series - that I'll never know nor be able to determine but it's cool to think of the possibilities.

I'll throw some images up on my site tonight.

suave1477
07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Shafran ok now im really confused your saying Bob said that Melido wore this jersey in 95 even though it has 96 tagging, meanwhile the member here of YankSteiner is basically saying it was Game Issued?

With the possibility of another member here saying it could have been worn by Charlie Hayes.

I think it is safe to say it was not worn by Melido becuz the Jersey was made for the 96 season. I can be wrong!!!

YanksSteiner
07-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I said it was tagged in ANTICIPATION for MELIDO PEREZ returning, i never said it was issued for/to him. It is, in fact a Game Used Jersey, now whom exactly wore that jersey at the exact time, I cannot say with 100% accuracy. I only saw the order, I was neither the autenticator of it nor a witness to who wore it.

Also Jersey year tagging is not a sure bet. Especially in the 1990's when the Yankees weren't the commerce giant they are now, jerseys could be tagged with one year, and used in another, also jerseys could be tagged with one name, and used by another player. The same goes for Game Used Bats, sometimes they are used by other players than the person who's bat it is.

Sorry for any confussion I might have caused.

suave1477
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I said it was tagged in ANTICIPATION for MELIDO PEREZ returning, i never said it was issued for/to him.

YanksSteiner first of all that means the same thing!!!!!!!
If the Jersey is Tagged in anticipation that means its issued for!!!!!!!!

Ok now we got that clear that its still the same thing. The point is you and/or your company still issued a Letter stating it was Game Used by Melido Perez when I think we can safely say it wasn't.

So technically that is a forgery!!!

trsent
07-12-2006, 01:25 PM
YanksSteiner first of all that means the same thing!!!!!!!
If the Jersey is Tagged in anticipation that means its issued for!!!!!!!!

Ok now we got that clear that its still the same thing. The point is you and/or your company still issued a Letter stating it was Game Used by Melido Perez when I think we can safely say it wasn't.

So technically that is a forgery!!!

You guys sure lose a lot of sleep over a Melido Perez jersey. I though this was over, the jersey may have been used in one year, but it was re-tagged the next year or maybe it is just a game issued jersey from the next year.

Why does the issue still come up?

The customer who originally was selling his items doesn't deserve the abuse. If the are issues, Steiner Sports should be contacted, but since none of us are looking to buy this jersey anyway, can't the case be closed?

shafrancollectibles.com
07-12-2006, 02:02 PM
I have already asked for this post to be deleted.

I respect that the tagging raised some questions but I got an answer from Steiner that I respect and can live with and I am keeping the jersey for myself, as I stated when the issue first arose. End of story.

I already lost two potential sales of other jerseys because of other people's actions in relation to posts here. Not the best introduction to a new forum but it won't keep me away!!!

So, as far as I am concerned, let's just drop this whole thread.

suave1477
07-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Hello Shafran, I apologize about running on with the thread, but I was curious to how it is being described. You said Bob gave you an answer even though it's really not a clear answer. If you can live with it thats cool.

Like I said I just wanted to get the input of the representing seller. Why it was described the way it was when in fact its not so. I am not trying to lose you any business in anyway but at the same time as to me I would definitely think for you it would be educational to learn the product you have in your hand.

Think of this scenario if one day you decide to sell it!!! any potential buyer who does his homework is going to question this item and with the answer given being that it is unclear would probably hinder a decision to buy it.

shafrancollectibles.com
07-12-2006, 02:19 PM
No worries Suave - you asked many good questions and they deserve good answers.

Yeah, the jersey may not be very marketable with the questions the tagging raises but it will look good in my collection for the time being. If and when it needs to be sold, I'll worry about everything else then!

So, back to the important question - anybody want to buy any of the other four that I am offering?!?!?!?!

YanksSteiner
07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Ok I'm going to try and explain this one last time. I will drop this issue and thread afterwards. As far as I know, this jersey was in fact used by Melido Perez. The Jersey is tagged as a 96, was it used in 1995 and retagged for the 1996 season? Maybe (I didn't watch the jersey come off his back). THAT was what I was trying to state. On questionable years as such, we get the best information possible from the Yankees equipment manager, as he has the best first hand knowledge on these items. Remember MLB didn't start tagging, holograming and recording individual game used items until 2004. I am not saying it was used in 1996 or 1995, its tagged as a 1996 and as such, it was sold as a 1996 jersey. I can't really explain this any better, hopefully this is clear enough.

As far as Steiner selling a forgery (which, by the way this item is not) I won't even get into that whole mess of a conversation. Our products are unconditionally guaranteed for a reason, sometimes even we make mistakes with an item, which I am NOT saying that this particular jersey is/was, but it does occasionally happen. Thanks, I hope this clarifies some questions and accusations.

trsent
07-13-2006, 03:37 PM
I feel a heart attack post coming on after this response...

YanksSteiner
07-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Haha, sorry I am just trying to state, as best I can through a computer, the facts surrounding the jersey tagging, I'm not here to argue or fight with anyone, I am just trying to clarify things that were asked.

Swoboda4
07-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Sorry about the late post. And since this "for sale" thread went to "G/U discussion" the hijacking issue was remedied. The hijacking issued actually wouldn't apply here because discussion is directly related to items once in possession of Steiner who sold these game used yankee jerseys for $100(psmachetti knew some of the Shafrancollectibles.com jerseys were from this Steiner sale and Shafrancollectibles in post#24 admitted that"ALL of these jerseys didn't come from there" meaning some did.) So--Why would Steiner,who sells framed Yankee Stadium bathroom signs for $500 sell a game used pinstripe jerseys(The most sought after jerseys in the hobby)of fan favorite players(Stanley,Pasqua,Curtis,Maas,etc) for $100 if he could prove they were game used?

suave1477
07-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Swoboda im sorry i dont think I understand your question?

BULBUS
07-14-2006, 08:49 AM
i got a few of those jerseys. sure, some have had number changes, patches removed, ect. and they cant actually confirm who wore the jersey and when it was worn, but a couple that i got are really nice. for example, i have a stanley that is all original and shows great use. i think they did the sale to clear out some inventory that is bulging at the seams. also, the sale wasnt available to everyone, just bob's best customers.

suave1477
07-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Bulbus actually your wrong about it only being available to BOBS best customers. As far as I know Bob is one of the many salesman there and gets a little more involved with the PR work and the online blog.

BULBUS
07-14-2006, 09:02 AM
suave, i'm just going by what bob told me. he said that the sale was only through him. this way, he was able to keep track what was sold or not, avoiding caous with other reps. i spoke to him a couple of times during the sale, the jerseys obviously didnt last too long. bob is very involved with sales. everytime he gets something in that he thinks i might like, he sends me a personal email to see if i would be interested. i have dealt with many at steiner but bob is the best!

suave1477
07-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Bulbus well im glad your happy Bob and his service he provides you. When working with a company you should be happy with the customer service. As far as BOB being the only person with this sale thats not true.

Swoboda4
07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Suave1477-What I meant was why would Steiner,who doesn't give anything away for cheap,let a pinstriped Yankee G/U jerseys go for $100 ?
No matter how uncertain the provenance. Novelty jerseys at the Yankee Store go for $250.

"Why do I deserve this..generosity?"
Don Corleone to Virgil "The Turk" Sollozzo

allstarsplus
07-14-2006, 09:41 AM
We are an authorized "Yankees - Steiner" retail shop and we didn't get offered any jerseys either at this price.

I called my Sales Rep at Steiner to give him a hard time as we are on a current pace with Steiner to spend over $100,000 in all memorabilia including Yankees.

My Rep told me he didn't know anything about the $100 jerseys which could just be good politics on his part.

For $100 you can't even buy an authentic at a kiosk in Yankee Stadium!

BULBUS
07-14-2006, 09:50 AM
suave, can you give me a name of another rep that offered this sale? i will call and ask. as you can see from allstarplus' post, not many people knew about the sale. i'm glad i was notified about it, i got 10 jerseys out of it!

suave1477
07-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Bulbus well in all fairness i dont know if the reps want there names out on the forum but I will tell you this I picked up most of the stuff and it wasnt through BOB.

suave1477
07-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Swoboda I don't know the exact purpose of the sale but they did do it. I can only imagine they needed to make room for new inventory.

BULBUS
07-14-2006, 10:10 AM
well, i'm sure they wouldnt mind their names on here, any publicity is good publicity :D

anyway, maybe only a select number of reps were given a select number of jerseys and they contacted their own customers about the sale. how many jerseys did you pick up? any good ones?

suave1477
07-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Bulbus as far as I know all the reps got the same list of jerseys, as far as the ones that I got. would be mostly whatever you didnt pick up shafran, and allstarplus lol lol

stkmtimo
07-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I can confirm that I have been offered $100 Steiner Yankees jerseys which are legit - no need to worry.

Tim

Swoboda4
07-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Well,forget naming names-let's just see some jerseys and tags. Believe me if Brandon W.Steiner could prove a Yankee wore it in a game it would not leave his hands for $100. Something is up.
Then again let the experts decide -show the rest of the jerseys(Safrancollectibles.com is displaying the Nokes)

http://www.shafrancollectibles.com/servlet/the-178/Matt-Nokes-1991-NY/Detail

suave1477
07-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Swoboda nothing is up the sales came directly from Steiner Sports. They had a quick sale plain and simple. I don't understand why you don't believe it.

Yankwood
07-14-2006, 10:55 AM
For whatever it's worth, I got the email with all the $100 jerseys too. It was also a Bob M. mailing. All those that I inquired about were already gone by the time I had a chance to call or write.

suave1477
07-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Yankwood its ok I think Swoboda is starting to lose it lol lol:eek:

s.carter
07-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't understand what all the fuss is on this topic, Steiner had a great special for it's customers, what's the problem here? I've read so much on this board about how overpriced and expensive they are and now they have a GREAT special and they get killed for that as well? Some have even gone as far as accusing them of something being up, that's nuts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but if you can't trust Steiner's authenticity what can you trust in this hobby. I feel like they are damned if they do and damned if they don't with this group. Can Steiner ever win on this board?

Swoboda4
07-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Suave1477-I lost it a long time ago. I just can't believe it($100)-congratulations if true G/U. Now I see Steiner-Mets signs all over Shea-I'm going to sit down and take a sedative. Can $100 Burnitz,Ventura,Payton home white jerseys be around the corner? Last question before they take me away-did the jerseys come with a Steiner COA?

BULBUS
07-14-2006, 12:48 PM
:D swaboda4, yes the jerseys came with yankees-steiner coa's. they wanted to reduce inventory, so they did something special for their customers. i'm sure they could have sold them out just as fast @ $200. steiner is not all bad. i deal with them a lot and have no complaints. well, thats not true, sometimes i complain about their prices as most do. but i think they have something for everbodys budget. i dont have much money to throw around, but i have added some nice steiner peices to my collection.

YanksSteiner
07-14-2006, 04:01 PM
To answer all the controversial questions on $100 jerseys. YES WE HAD A SPECIAL SALE. Bob was the primary person selling these. We needed room for new inventory and Mets items that we recently recieved. These jersey's weren't moving at higher price points, so we put them on special. Bob was the primary sales person, a few others who have Yankees-Steiner customers were also allowed to participate in the sale. It wasn't offered on the wholesale level as far as I am aware. Whoever got these jersey's made out very very well. Congrats if you bought them, you got a great deal.

Yankeefan01
07-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Been watching in the wings, thought I'd pipe in with my question on this.

With all these Yankee jersey's hittin' the market through Steiner, does anybody perceive a watering down of the Yankee jersey market?

I mean, I think it's a good thing as prices should drop for the everyday shmow like me. And the big name player's jersey's will always be in demand and command top dollar. But what about the guy that buys a jersey from Steiner, only to see it, or one like it, for a fraction of what he paid for it.

I'm gonna try and stick my .02 in more as this seems like a friendly forum with alot of good info circulating. :)