PDA

View Full Version : I Picked Up A Gregg Jefferies Autographed BP Jersey

Copa
04-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Just wondering if there's any chance this was a spring training/bp worn jersey (http://sports.webshots.com/album/577324096jaJOlG)...I know nothing about Mets jerseys, especially BP jerseys worn in the late 80s or early 90s...the tagging on the bottom of the jersey has been removed (as you can see on the pic of the front (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2213355340103294346TQeWWs))...there is a wash code of 0007R...there isn't much wash wear on the tagging but the embroidery definitely shows some fraying...while searching 1989 and 1990 New York Mets on Getty, I found a number of pictures of guys wearing this style jersey, but I can't pinpoint an exact year...thanks for any light you can shed!

flaco1801
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM
the neck tag doesnt bode well for a gamer... bp or spring training... the bottom tag that is missing was probably was stiched on 2 sides only but i cant really see it.

sox83cubs84
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
It COULD be a gamer, but the two-side affixed tag in the tail and the collar tag would indicate that, if it IS a gamer, it's a minor league version, not one from New York. Remnants of the tail tag would point to issuance as being from 1988-91. Definitely NOT a New York piece.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Lokee
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Looks like a signed retail BP jersey to me. I think the Mets wore this style from 1987 to 1992.

TNTtoys
04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
One thing I can say is that it is a team issued jersey. Retail authentic jerseys of this era (manufactured by Rawlings) did not contain dazzle textured lettering like this one does. They contained a flat letter, like those seen on Mets gamers pre-1987 and 1993-1996.

Whether or not it is a Major League issue or a minor league issue is a good question. If it's a Major Legue jersey, I would pinpoint it at 1987-1990 or so. By 1991, the team was wearing micromesh, not mesh. Possibly even as early as 1990. Also, the Rawlings BPs I am familiar with from the minor leagues often had a Rawlings "patch" sewn onto the sleeve, not the white embroidery. Minor league jerseys of this era often had side stripes in addition to the shoulder stripes. If given the choice, I would lean more toward Major League than Minor League.

The real question is the tagging. I cannot see the tail tag for starters. The retail tag in the neck, while alarming, is nothing I have not seen before. In fact, I have come across several Mets gamers that had both the retail tag in the neck and the authentic tag in the tail. Not sure the exact posibilities of why and how this would have occurred. I'd be interested uin what the tail tag looks like so that I cou8ld compare with exemplars of this late 80's era.

Copa
04-13-2010, 06:22 PM
TNTtoys -

Unfortunately, the tail tagging has been removed completely...the only thing remaining is the thread from where the tag was reinforced...have you seen the 0007R wash code before?

TNTtoys
04-13-2010, 09:27 PM
TNTtoys -

Unfortunately, the tail tagging has been removed completely...the only thing remaining is the thread from where the tag was reinforced...have you seen the 0007R wash code before?

I am familiar with wash codes similar to that one on Majestic jerseys, not Rawlings. I can take a look through some of my older Mets Rawlings BPs and let you know what I find.

-Nick