PDA

View Full Version : Advice on baseball cards

cubbs1232
04-11-2010, 10:48 AM
I know this site is mostly for game used items but i wanted some inputed on a little problem i have. I have over 500,000 baseball cards from the 1950s to the present and would like to get rid of them, they take up the whole garage, and really dont want to sell them card by card. Anyone have ideas on how to get rid of them? Auction them as an entire lot or sell them card by card or .........

spartakid
04-11-2010, 11:53 AM
You should probably only sell the ones that are worth something. I would list these individually on ebay or something. You could sell the commons in lots of thousand(s).

ballofbases@hotmail.com
04-12-2010, 02:04 AM
It might be best to sell the entire lot just to get rid of all of them. Otherwise you may spend a few years trying to sell everything off. Featuring the high end cards while selling the whole lot would probably be your best bet. I may be interested in it.

Thanks!

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

legaleagle92481
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Here is what I would do: Sort through everything with the consultation of a price guide. Just because a guy is a common does not mean he is worthless. An Andy Pafko card is one of the most valuable cards ever going for as much as 50 grand. Once you have done that have all of your higher end cards graded by PSA. Graded cards bring much higher prices then raw cards so it is worth the extra investment. Then contact auction houses and discuss your options with them to find an auction house research prior sales of similar stuff to see who realized the largest amounts. Hertigage and Lelands are good two good examples. Whatever you do do not sell them on Ebay. You will pay a mint in fees, spend alot of time setting up the auctions and photographing everything and answering questions but the prices realized will be much less than an auction house will realize and they will do all the work for you and arrange lots and stuff to maximize the amount realized, since the more it goes for the more they make as well. And when you factor in all the Ebay and Paypal fees they are almost equal to what an auction house charges anyway. Ebay is mostly speculators who buy it low then try to flip it shortly after for a profit. I sold alot on Ebay and this happened to me time and again.

xpress34
04-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I know this site is mostly for game used items but i wanted some inputed on a little problem i have. I have over 500,000 baseball cards from the 1950s to the present and would like to get rid of them, they take up the whole garage, and really dont want to sell them card by card. Anyone have ideas on how to get rid of them? Auction them as an entire lot or sell them card by card or .........

Cubbs -

If you would eMail me at xpress34@comcast .net , I would be interested in helping you out. I have a Beckett On-Line Price Guide subscription as well as many friends who may be interested in your commons as they do on-line set building with others.

All the best -

Chris