PDA

View Full Version : Chase Field Game-Used Shop Closed

godwulf
04-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Earlier this week, on Opening Day, I was considerably dismayed to find that the Game Used Shop at Chase Field (home of the DBacks) - which I think they only just opened last year or the year before - had gone away. The space is just another clothing and souvenir store, now, with a few leftover g.u. jerseys and bats in a wall case as more of a display than anything. The ladies working there had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if the game-used shop had moved. Apparently everything is down at the main Team Shop now. (The $350-$500 jerseys from the last couple of seasons that they still can't move...the $125-$175 bats, ditto.) You'd think after a bat had sat on the sales floor for two or three years, they'd get the idea that they needed to do some discounting.

legaleagle92481
04-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Earlier this week, on Opening Day, I was considerably dismayed to find that the Game Used Shop at Chase Field (home of the DBacks) - which I think they only just opened last year or the year before - had gone away. The space is just another clothing and souvenir store, now, with a few leftover g.u. jerseys and bats in a wall case as more of a display than anything. The ladies working there had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if the game-used shop had moved. Apparently everything is down at the main Team Shop now. (The $350-$500 jerseys from the last couple of seasons that they still can't move...the $125-$175 bats, ditto.) You'd think after a bat had sat on the sales floor for two or three years, they'd get the idea that they needed to do some discounting.

i never get why teams do that. i can see companies like jo, steiner, etc. pricing stuff high because they have to make a profit, pay employee salaries, maintain a website, warehouse and obtaining the items is not cheap. but the teams dont have these expenses and this stuff in the old days used to end up in the trash so you would think whatever they make off of it is a bonus, especially from people who spend alot of money going to their games and buying their other merchandise every year.

godwulf
04-13-2010, 09:35 AM
They justify the high prices by pointing out that the proceeds of all their game-used items go to charity.

That's great...but when you overprice something to begin with, then let it sit in the Team Shop for literally years on end, that's zip going to charity. It would make more sense to me to lower the prices and actually sell some stuff.

OaklandAsFan
04-13-2010, 11:04 AM
They justify the high prices by pointing out that the proceeds of all their game-used items go to charity.

That's great...but when you overprice something to begin with, then let it sit in the Team Shop for literally years on end, that's zip going to charity. It would make more sense to me to lower the prices and actually sell some stuff.

Godwulf,

Last season I asked about if a particular bat would ever be available and I was told that the shop was actually an independatly operated shop, not affiliated with the team at all so they could't give me an answer to it.

I too noticed that the shop is closed, all that is left that is really worth anything are a Chris Young bat and a Mark Reynolds bat both for $175 each, bit too steep in my opinion for those. Especially since 2 years ago I picked up a Brandon Webb gamer for $80 and last year my mother picked up a Justin Upton for $100.