PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Game Used Surprise

Dewey2007
04-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Last year sometime I tried contacting former NFL player Chidi Iwuoma asking him if he had an old jersey he would consider donating to my Cal Bears collection. I knew that he had returned to Berkeley to get his Masters degree so I thought it was worth a shot. I never heard anything back from him until today. Out of the blue he called me and said he was going through old e-mails and came across mine and that he had a jersey for me. He stopped by my office about an hour ago and gave me a Detroit Lions jersey from his rookie year. He said he was cleaning out his garage recently and came across it.

We had a nice chat and he's now working with the football team in player development since completing his grad degree. Very nice guy and this definitely brightened my Friday afternoon up. I'll post pics later on.

Dewey

Masimen
04-09-2010, 05:47 PM
That is an awesome story! Stuff like that is even sweeter when you have long since forgotten about it and then out of nowhere it pans out. Congrats!

ivo610
04-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Great story man, this is what collecting is all about, those great memories!

neverfinished94
04-09-2010, 06:07 PM
that is awesome!

jdr3
04-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Congrats! It's always a treat when they call back, especially if they have something.

legaleagle92481
04-09-2010, 10:34 PM
That is awesome. Is this the first time a player gave you a free jersey?

Dewey2007
04-09-2010, 10:57 PM
That is awesome. Is this the first time a player gave you a free jersey?

Pretty much although a friend and former player recently let me keep a baseball jersey of his from his time in Japan. Also, a former Cal Bears baseball player once sent me a game used bat from his MLB playing days.

Neely8
04-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Great stuff Dewey! It's even more awesome that he followed through after all that time. He sounds like a great guy.

pietraynor
04-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Great hearing these types of stories..thanks for sharing. Jay.

sox83cubs84
04-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Dewey...sometimes the good guys (in the hobby) DO win!:)

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dewey2007
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Dewey...sometimes the good guys (in the hobby) DO win!:)

Dave M.
Chicago area

Thanks Dave and to everyone else. Here are some pics of the jersey. It's funny, while I was very happy to get any jersey in truth when I was waiting for him to stop by the collector in me was thinking man I hope it's one of his Steelers jerseys considering how rare they are and that's the team he won a Super Bowl with. Regardless I am just honored that he took the time to donate a jersey to my collection period.

Out of my Cal Bears collection this jersey and my Chris Clapinski bat are easily the most meaningful considering I received them both directly from the former players.