PDA

View Full Version : White Sox jerseys in Grey Flannel

kirkb
04-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I beieve the lot numbers are 187 and 188. A '67 Colavito/Freese and a '69 Nyman/Ortiz. Any opinions? I believe it was discussed here in another thread that the Sox frequently reissued jerseys. Anyone been able to phot match these?

karamaxjoe
04-09-2010, 08:41 PM
From the pictures, both jerseys look good to me and are nice examples from that period. The only concern I'd have is with the Colavito jersey since he's a big name player. It can be difficult to tell the difference between a restored name and the real thing unless you've seen more than a few examples up close. Your also never going to be able to photomatch these jerseys. You'd have a better chance of finding a needle in a haystack.

bobw
04-09-2010, 09:58 PM
At least the uniform buttons line up like the ones in the photo

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/bobw_photos/Sports%20Collectibles/4154A_lg.jpghttp://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/bobw_photos/Sports%20Collectibles/ColavitoRocky1a.jpg

sox83cubs84
04-10-2010, 03:14 PM
They're both likely good...the White Sox used to recycle uniforms extensively, even on the MLB level. I've seen the Colavito...it was part of the collection of the late Dr. John Golberg, linguistics professor, autograph seeker, and devout White Sox fan.

Grey Flannel fails to mention, however, that the front is also team-changed. The script present for Colavito's usage of the jersey was a two-year style, first worn by the Chisox in 1967. When Freese wore it in 1966, the original front was the navy arched CHICAGO. Just goes to show you how low-budget the Sox were back then...even changing the front design to recycle a jersey, and for a major star (albeit on the downhill side of his career) at that.

Dave M.
Chicago area

kirkb
04-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys. I am not a White Sox jersey expert but my research led me to the conclusion they wore block letters in 66 and script in 67. Where did you get the pic of Colavito?