PDA

View Full Version : Vinatage LS Bat Question

seven4five20
07-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Hello forum members. I have what appears to be an LS bat from the 1960-64 time period. The bat has no "R" symbols anywhere on the bat, and has the model number stapmed into the knob. However, the bat doesn't have any clear indication of the aging you would see from a 40+ year old piece of lumber. My question is, did LS ever make reproductions, or exact replicas? Thanks

ironmanfan
07-04-2006, 09:59 AM
It's my belief that they didn't make reproductions to that extent of detail (i.e. model number on knob). If the bat was never used and was stored in the proper conditions (humidty, temperature, etc.), I'm not surprised if it "aged" very well. Can you post a scan or two?

seven4five20
07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Here are the pics. I am eager to here what you think. Thanks!

MGHProductions
07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
The bat is modern and was made for players to sign. It is not a gamer if that's what you were hoping. Nice for display though.
MGHProductions

JimCaravello
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
It's a nice bat but unfortunately it is a post career replica bat made for Stan Musial for signings, etc. Although all the markings are correct - the bat is a clear reproduction of what he would have used when he played. Also - Musial's contract with Louisville Slugger expired I believe in the 40's - I don't have the records in front of me. All his post call it late 40's LS bats were block letter models stamped MUSIAL MODEL. The bat pictured has the labeling from the 61-64 era in which he only was shipped block letter bats.

The combination of the wood quality and age of the bat and his contract facts above unfortunately prove this bat to be a show - promotional bat.

If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to e-mail me at jcaravell@nc.rr.com - Jim

seven4five20
07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
I figured this due to the condition of tbat bat. I am a complete novice with vintage bats, so I thought I'd ask to see if I had something better than what I thought. Thanks

sylbry
07-06-2006, 09:25 PM
It's a nice bat but unfortunately it is a post career replica bat made for Stan Musial for signings, etc. Although all the markings are correct - the bat is a clear reproduction of what he would have used when he played. Also - Musial's contract with Louisville Slugger expired I believe in the 40's - I don't have the records in front of me. All his post call it late 40's LS bats were block letter models stamped MUSIAL MODEL. The bat pictured has the labeling from the 61-64 era in which he only was shipped block letter bats.

The combination of the wood quality and age of the bat and his contract facts above unfortunately prove this bat to be a show - promotional bat.

If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to e-mail me at jcaravell@nc.rr.com - Jim

Not to reopen a thread that has run its course but I just noticed in the Mastronet bat book there is a picture of a 1961-64 signature model Musial bat. I have no comment on this, rather just pointing it out.

seven4five20
07-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Is there any way you could post a scan? Thank you

sylbry
07-06-2006, 10:10 PM
My scanner sucks but you get the idea.

seven4five20
07-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Not to bring this back up, but could I get further input on this bat? Thanks

mjkm90
07-12-2006, 02:59 PM
There is paint in the lettering of your bat. The originals were branded in with no paint. Definately modern. Cool...but modern.