PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Tampa Bay Devil Rays Experts...I Need You!!

Copa
04-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I just picked this jersey up on Ebay and I need some help identifying it.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/577279161OadeVp

Here's what I know...it appears to be well worn (the embroidery on the logo has a number of snags and pulls, there are a few strings hanging from the numbers on the back and the tagging has good wash wear)...the wash code reads 0006...other than that, I have a lot of questions!

Any idea what season this style was worn? I've looked at a ton of pics on Getty and can't match the style...any idea if it's a spring training jersey or a batting practice jersey?

Are the Black/Blue/White numbers correct for this style jersey?

After doing some research, it seems that the last people to wear 13 before Carl Crawford were Miguel Cairo and Ozzie Guillen during the 2000 season...I'm pretty sure they were still wearing the old jerseys during that season, but is there anyone I'm missing between then and 2003?

I had asked this earlier in the week but I'll ask again...is there any way Crawford could have worn a size 50 jersey? Someone had mentioned that every Crawford jersey they have is a size 48, but I'm wondering, since this isn't a regular jersey, could fit into it?

I will be a VERY happy camper if this turns out to be a Carl Crawford used jersey, but I got a solid deal on it, so either way, it's a win in my book! Thanks ahead of time for any help!!

Lokee
04-08-2010, 02:29 AM
That appears to be from 2001-2002 and is a Batting Practice/BP Jersey. Those should have the players name on the back stitched on a nameplate then stitched on the jersey as well. #13 does not appear to be a roster player from either 2001 or 2002.

cubbs1232
04-08-2010, 05:29 PM
i have a crawford gu jersey from 2001 that is a size 46. i got the jersey from the manager of the Ted Williams h.o.f. so im confident in the authenticity of it. like you mentioned he usally wears a 48 but anythings possible

LWMM
04-09-2010, 03:08 PM
That appears to be from 2001-2002 and is a Batting Practice/BP Jersey. Those should have the players name on the back stitched on a nameplate then stitched on the jersey as well. #13 does not appear to be a roster player from either 2001 or 2002.

Were those also used in Spring Training, or other pratie games? Jonny Gomes wore a couple jerseys like those, but I have no idea when.

Card from 2002 (Gomes' first Tampa game was in 2003):
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/LWMM/Jonny%20Gomes%20Scans/2002/02-1.jpg

Copa
04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Bringing this back to the top...according to Sports Illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/stats/alltime/rosters/devil_rays/2002.html), Crawford wore 13 in 2002...I've seen pics of him wearing 8, so I'm wondering if he switched numbers or if SI just got it wrong...it still doesn't fix the nameplate issue though...does anyone have a Tampa BP/spring training jersey from 2002 that I could compare this one to?