PDA

View Full Version : Heritage auction Whiitey ford glove

cjclong
04-07-2010, 12:01 PM
The Heritage auction has a Whitey Ford glove in its lot 82177. The glove is a left handed Rocky Colavito model and is supposed to have been game used used by Ford in the early 1960's and has his autograph on the glove. The thing I question is that on the webbing is written "cheat, mud, spit, cut" etc. I know that their is no way Ford would have written that on the glove while he was pitching and I can't see why he would have written that at any time. There is no explantion given of why those words are on the webb of the glove. I have to wonder how a game used glove of Ford's would have that kind of negative language on it. Does anyone have any ideas if the glove could be genuine with that kind of negative language on it? Any ideas.

legaleagle92481
04-07-2010, 12:39 PM
The Heritage auction has a Whitey Ford glove in its lot 82177. The glove is a left handed Rocky Colavito model and is supposed to have been game used used by Ford in the early 1960's and has his autograph on the glove. The thing I question is that on the webbing is written "cheat, mud, spit, cut" etc. I know that their is no way Ford would have written that on the glove while he was pitching and I can't see why he would have written that at any time. There is no explantion given of why those words are on the webb of the glove. I have to wonder how a game used glove of Ford's would have that kind of negative language on it. Does anyone have any ideas if the glove could be genuine with that kind of negative language on it? Any ideas.

Why would he have worn a Colavito model glove? They were not teamates or anything. Whitey was a big drinker so if it was his glove he could have written it while drunk or maybe one of his teamates wrote it as they were a rowdy group in that era. My biggest concern though would be the glove model.

CollectGU
04-07-2010, 12:44 PM

There is an interesting story about the tack in this glove this glove when originally presented by Huggins and Scott. Please read the description when originally sold at Huggins and Scott:

http://feb09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=11207

Dave

cjclong
04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I would have had the same concern about the glove except that there is a fairly well documented left handed Rocky Colavito glove from about the same time that was used by Sandy Koufax. I would have thought that Ford and Koufax would have been big enough stars to have their own model gloves, but apparantly not, at least in Koufax case and if this glove is genuine, in Ford's as well.

cjclong
04-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Interesting story, but why would you need a sheet metal factory to put a tack in a glove? And I still can't imagine why Ford would write that stuff on the glove.