PDA

View Full Version : Back at it again.....2010 Turner Field Photography

kylehess10
04-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I'll be doing photography at Turner Field again this season. During the offseason, I upgraded both my camera and lens.

Just like last year, if anybody would like to make requests for photos of certain players (whether visiting players or Braves players), then just name it! I helped make several photomatches with my photography, and this year I also got a bigger memory card and will be taking a little over 500 shots per game. I'm attending every series at Turner Field, so anybody can name a visiting player who will be playing against the Braves this year.

Here's just a few pics I took today at the Braves Opening Day:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2i9s0th.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/wh1vk5.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/11qixsm.jpg

Here's the swing for Jason Heyward's 3-run homerun in his first career at-bat:

http://i41.tinypic.com/1z65kcm.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/1zwg6mo.jpg

Sincityson
04-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Kyle, incredible photos! Do you ever do freelance work for newpapers/media?

kylehess10
04-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Kyle, incredible photos! Do you ever do freelance work for newpapers/media?

Nope....would love to though.

I talked to one of the ushers today and gave him a special card that I made for the ushers who let me sit down at the dugout level without a ticket (it's for them to get free prints) and he said he'll bring me up at the ushers next meeting to let everyone know about me. I'm hoping I could end up with a job someday with the team.

Sonny25
04-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Those are great!!

Very well done!

HawaiiSportsNut
04-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Nice action photography. How do you like the D90 for sports?

tigerdale
04-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Kyle you do great work & you are such a great forum member how you always help people out!! Thank you!!

sportscentury
04-06-2010, 06:03 AM
Kyle you do great work & you are such a great forum member how you always help people out!! Thank you!!

I agree. And you seem to be doing everything right with respect to networking and developing relationships in order to get a job. I hope everything goes well for you. Best of luck!

kylehess10
04-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks everyone!!

HawaiiSportsNut- I'm loving the D90 compared to the D80 I used last year. Even when I crank the ISO up, the noise doesn't distort the images one bit. Plus the fast shutter speeds of 1/4000 work great with capturing action.

Luckily I'm not having any problems with the supervisors so far this season with my long lens. The limit is 4 inches at Turner Field. My lens is somewhere around a foot long. I just hide it anytime I pass by a supervisor.

suave1477
04-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Hello Kyle great photos your always helpful.

I have a quick question in 2 parts.

I know you follow the Braves and during the off season they picked up Eric Duncan from the Yankees. I heard rumor he could be a potential back up to Chipper Jones. Have you heard anything like that or any news on Eric?

Also if he is currently with them do you have any pics of Eric?

kylehess10
04-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Hello Kyle great photos your always helpful.

I have a quick question in 2 parts.

I know you follow the Braves and during the off season they picked up Eric Duncan from the Yankees. I heard rumor he could be a potential back up to Chipper Jones. Have you heard anything like that or any news on Eric?

Also if he is currently with them do you have any pics of Eric?

I've never even heard of him before, and I can't find him on any transaction list on the Braves website during the offseason. I checked the major league roster, as well as Gwinnett AAA and Mississippi AA rosters. He's nowhere in sight. Omar Infante is Chipper's backup mainly.

worldchamps
04-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Did you get any good pics of Hank Aaron throwing first pitch to Heyward?

kylehess10
04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Did you get any good pics of Hank Aaron throwing first pitch to Heyward?

I actually missed it. Didn't even know it was coming. I had my wide angle lens attached to my camera so I could get a good panorama of the stadium during the national anthem, then Aaron came out so I couldn't switch lenses in time.

worldchamps
04-06-2010, 10:26 AM
I actually missed it. Didn't even know it was coming. I had my wide angle lens attached to my camera so I could get a good panorama of the stadium during the national anthem, then Aaron came out so I couldn't switch lenses in time.

There are no pics of it on getty either?? Too bad that would have been a great one

That is awesome you got Heywards first home run pic though.

Let me know if you come across any game used of him...probably too late on jumping on the bandwagon

rangersstars@yahoo.com

cjw
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Kyle....great shots as usual! Too bad about missing Hank, he is my all-time fav.

Hey, I wanted to offer some friendly advice...coming from a guy that worked at a MLB stadium for over 10 years...not as a stadium employee however...but one that had access to the games and players etc. I may have pushed the limits of friendly stadium staffers over the years, trying to enjoy my hobby (collecting GU items) and while I am not trying to compare me with you, I wanted to suggest that you may want to extend your networking at the stadium to the supervisors.

This way you aren't putting the ushers at risk for reprimand (albeit, not serious reprimand, I'd imagine) when it is found that they have allowed a non ticket holder into their section. I am sure that your personality, people skills and passion for the game will win them over and you will be able to 'clear the way' for full use of your long lens, without having to hide it when they pass.

Another way, I have seen, to possibly provide you with 'press' credentials and allow you to roam the stadium and take all the pics you want, without issue, is to align yourself with a local (school, community) paper or on-line magazine/blog that would love to use your top-flight photography in their publications. If you can establish this relationship and then get this organization to help you with team approved press access, even its of the limited kind, it would pay off two ways for you - great access and a possible leg up to a paid career in the field?

Hope I haven't overstepped with my thoughts? Keep up the great work, and enjoy the season!

chris

bigtruck260
04-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Kyle....great shots as usual! Too bad about missing Hank, he is my all-time fav.

Hey, I wanted to offer some friendly advice...coming from a guy that worked at a MLB stadium for over 10 years...not as a stadium employee however...but one that had access to the games and players etc. I may have pushed the limits of friendly stadium staffers over the years, trying to enjoy my hobby (collecting GU items) and while I am not trying to compare me with you, I wanted to suggest that you may want to extend your networking at the stadium to the supervisors.

This way you aren't putting the ushers at risk for reprimand (albeit, not serious reprimand, I'd imagine) when it is found that they have allowed a non ticket holder into their section. I am sure that your personality, people skills and passion for the game will win them over and you will be able to 'clear the way' for full use of your long lens, without having to hide it when they pass.

Another way, I have seen, to possibly provide you with 'press' credentials and allow you to roam the stadium and take all the pics you want, without issue, is to align yourself with a local (school, community) paper or on-line magazine/blog that would love to use your top-flight photography in their publications. If you can establish this relationship and then get this organization to help you with team approved press access, even its of the limited kind, it would pay off two ways for you - great access and a possible leg up to a paid career in the field?

Hope I haven't overstepped with my thoughts? Keep up the great work, and enjoy the season!

chris

I think those are some good points. Here's my take...

I am also a huge boxing fan Kyle. So - I created a site for local fighters...includes a forum, gallery, etc. Nothing too special (or expensive), but when I ask for press credentials, I have always recieved one. Been to several world title fights in a couple of states.

You may want to consider it at some point. You are young and probably have the energy and technical skills to do it well. Your Game used site is great...how about just a site for your photos?

For an amateur photog, you are really talented. The Heyward HR photo is something that might hang on his walls someday. All you need is a champion for your cause and the KID could be one - you never know.

D

suave1477
04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Kyle - google Eric Duncan & Braves you will see what im talking about. He played for the Braves in Spring Training I believe

kylehess10
04-06-2010, 02:22 PM
I've already tried doing that with the supervisors but they can be such an ass most of the time. I think that's why one usher had told me yesterday that he's going to bring me up at their next meeting with all the ushers & supervisors. There was though one time last year when 1 supervisor allowed me to take pictures down above the dugout. It was that one lone time though.

I notice the same photographers at the game every day, so I'll have to talk to one of them and ask how they got into their profession with the team.

Jason- I looked him up and all it says is that he signed a minor league deal and wasn't invited to spring training. I have no clue what team he was sent to since I can't find him on the rosters.

Astros7
04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
suave1477 - Looks Like Eric Duncan is going to play with the Double A Mississippi Braves.

chipperhank44
04-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Love the pictures Kyle, as a Braves fan I love what you do and am also extremely jealous!!! Keep it up!!!

suave1477
04-07-2010, 02:42 PM
suave1477 - Looks Like Eric Duncan is going to play with the Double A Mississippi Braves.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Here is what I was told about Eric.

He had an excellent spring season and of course coming from the yankees is helpful. According to management they are expecting big things out of him this season. They are hoping he can play well in double AA for a few games and if all goes well bring him up to Triple AAA for a few games and they are hoping they can bring him up to the Majors by MidSeason or so.

We will see what happens

LastingsMilledge85
04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Can't imagine the Braves have much planned for Duncan since they are pretty high on prospect Freddie Freeman, who has similar expectations as Heyward.

suave1477
04-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Can't imagine the Braves have much planned for Duncan since they are pretty high on prospect Freddie Freeman, who has similar expectations as Heyward.

Hey you never know players get injured and stuff and a lot can happen through out a season.

The Yankees themselves constantly bring up guys through a season.

JasonBanz
04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Hey Kyle,
My wife decided to choose photography as her hobby. Your pictures look awesome. You using any software such as Photoshop or anything like that? Thanks!

kylehess10
04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Hey Kyle,
My wife decided to choose photography as her hobby. Your pictures look awesome. You using any software such as Photoshop or anything like that? Thanks!

I use GIMP to sharpen the images just a tiny bit and to sometimes fix the exposure or white balance. It's the same thing as photoshop, except it's free.

JasonBanz
04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks! :)

treant985
04-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Kyle--if and when my favorite player gets called up to the D-Backs (and plays at Turner), I might could use your 12" lens to try to catch some photos of his bats so I could later try to photomatch. Sometimes it's pretty fluky to get good info off of the mlb.tv video feed, even in HD...

nickacs
04-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Beautiful pics Kyle! Awesome work :)
When I moved to my new subdivision 2yrs ago, one of my neighbors said that "the" or maybe one of the Braves groundskeepers lives in here. I know the house, but it's on the other side of the subdivision, so I usually don't see him. If it would help at all if I talked to him to help our your dream job there, just let me know!
Can't promise anything, but I'm willing to try :)

treant985
04-07-2010, 09:53 PM
btw, have you tried emailing some of the Braves media people, just to inquire into the process? I wouldn't try to sell them too much in an intro email, but maybe you can get some info.

kylehess10
04-07-2010, 10:35 PM
nickacs- I actually once had an interview for a job for groundskeeping at Turner Field. I didn't get a call back though (probably because I was 17 at the time of the interview and the job is for 18+). They're a crew though with atleast 25 people I believe. I don't think they would be able to help though with getting through to the front office regarding a photography position. I appreciate your help though.

treant985- Which player is it? Also I actually watched this video on youtube about a MLB sports photographer who works for Getty, and he explained that all he did was send in some of his own work and he got called in to LA for an interview and got the job. I might go that route once I get some more shots througout the season. I'll probably send into some places in this area like the Braves themselves, the Atlanta Journal Constitiution, and ofcoarse Getty & AP.

treant985
04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
treant985- Which player is it?

Brandon Allen of the D-Backs. Had the firstbase job to himself but had a horrible Arizona Fall Lg, so they signed LaRoche. When he gets called up will obviously depending on injuries, etc (and on the success of an experiment to put Allen in the outfield).

I emailed a friend in the Braves media department to see if he could give a quick run-down on how to get credentials. Figure it's worth a shot. I send them stats info every now and then for their media notes.

suave1477
04-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Heads up!!

Eric Duncan will be with the Mississipi Braves for 5 days next week.

redoctober
04-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Kyle... nice job!

I am curious - what lens are you using?? Also, within the "photoshop" tool, what do you use to "sharpen" the picture?

kylehess10
04-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Kyle... nice job!

I am curious - what lens are you using?? Also, within the "photoshop" tool, what do you use to "sharpen" the picture?

Thanks!

I use a Nikon D90 with a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and an added 1.4x teleconverter turning it into a 98-280mm f/4 lens

I use GIMP to add just a tiny bit of sharpening. It's one of the many filters GIMP has.

redoctober
04-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Thanks!

I use a Nikon D90 with a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and an added 1.4x teleconverter turning it into a 98-280mm f/4 lens

I use GIMP to add just a tiny bit of sharpening. It's one of the many filters GIMP has.

From the pictures posted, it looks like you lost no sharpness by using the teleconverter, is this accurate?? Been thinking about adding one myself.

Also, might be worth posting a link to your webpage again.

kylehess10
04-10-2010, 10:22 AM
From the pictures posted, it looks like you lost no sharpness by using the teleconverter, is this accurate?? Been thinking about adding one myself.

Also, might be worth posting a link to your webpage again.

You're correct. I stick with the 1.4 teleconverter so I don't lose too much light and I can keep the shutter speed up pretty high. I take most pics at 280mm and it comes out just fine. I'd love to upgrade to the 300mm 2.8 but it's over $3,000, so just using a 200mm 2.8 with a 1.4 teleconverter is you best bet.

Also, I don't have a webpage for my photography, but just my game used collection for now. I do though have a fanpage on facebook for my photography (except it's for my portrait work, not sports):

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Kyle-Hess-Photography/220976834363?ref=ts

ham1963
04-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Hey Kyle,
Do you ever go to any Gwinnett Braves games when the big league team is not playing???

kylehess10
04-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Hey Kyle,
Do you ever go to any Gwinnett Braves games when the big league team is not playing???

I'm actually going to be there in about 10 hours. They don't have as many day games at home as the Braves do, and tomorrow is one of them, so I'll be there if I'm able to wake up early enough.

Rob L
05-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Kyle, are you shooting JPEGs or RAW images?

kylehess10
05-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Rob - I shoot in JPG. I've tried RAW before and I didn't really see too much of a necessity to use it. It does add a little more resolution and gives me more color to work with, but I'd only use RAW if I'm doing portrait photography.