PDA

View Full Version : buying from secondary market

costas
04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
when you purchase an item from the secondary market, do you ever worry that the game used piece might have been altered while in the possession or previous owner(s), such as they having worn a game used jersey, or used an equipment for personal use? one time my friend purchased a game used bat on Ebay, was able to photo match most of it to the end of the season when it was collected and authenticated but there were some markings on the bat that didn't appear on the photo.

Mulligans
04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
I know that my opinion would differ from many collectors, but I rarely purchase anything that does not come with "well known" Authentication. Even with authentication, there are no guarantees and you will often need to do further Due Diligence.

I am not as well versed in Authenticating items personally, so I need to rely heavily on others and the paperwork which accompanies an item. I also like to resell many items. I have found that a large number of the newer buyers won't even talk to you without the appropriate paperwork.

I find it way to easy to fabricate a game used item with "game issued" stuff etc. all over the place. Its usually not too hard to figure out a questionable seller, but once it makes its way back to a major auction house, its a bit more difficult to figure out.

I know that many will argue that Paper work is worth nothing and in many cases that is the truth, but for now, that's all that I have to cling to.

indyred
04-05-2010, 10:35 AM
So your friend has a photomatch that clearly shows the bat from the exact final time it was used? He is 100% sure it was never used again. Then it shows up with clearly seen new ball marks? I don't believe it for a second unless you post some pictures to prove this story. Sounds like another BS story.

Now on the topic, I much prefer to buy from the team source first over secondary source and will pay more. People wearing gamers is nothing new. If you own something it's yours to do whatever with.

legaleagle92481
04-05-2010, 10:44 AM
So your friend has a photomatch that clearly shows the bat from the exact final time it was used? He is 100% sure it was never used again. Then it shows up with clearly seen new ball marks? I don't believe it for a second unless you post some pictures to prove this story. Sounds like another BS story.

Now on the topic, I much prefer to buy from the team source first over secondary source and will pay more. People wearing gamers is nothing new. If you own something it's yours to do whatever with.

If someone wore it do you feel it should be disclosed? I think it should because it may affect someone's decision to purchase it or not. I would not want a jersey that some guy other than the player wore around.

legaleagle92481
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM

And I have heard of people taking gamers to the batting cage, it is not unheard of although a very dumb thing to do.

legaleagle92481
04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
To answer the question though I buy wherever I get the best deal. I notice alot of stuff ends up back on the market quickly after it is auctioned by the leagues/teams or after someone obtains it from an auction to which Steiner or JO consigned it. I suspect many times it is because people buy stuff they can't afford, enjoy it for a month and then sell it when the credit card bill comes. If the auction price is reasonable to me I will bid if not I will just wait and many times I end up with the item I wanted at a substantial discount.

Lokee
04-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I suspect many times it is because people buy stuff they can't afford, enjoy it for a month and then sell it when the credit card bill comes.

If I have a chance to pick something up from one of the 3 or 4 players I collect and do not have the money I will sell a couple things to get that item.

legaleagle92481
04-05-2010, 12:07 PM
If I have a chance to pick something up from one of the 3 or 4 players I collect and do not have the money I will sell a couple things to get that item.

Yeah, I do the same but i guess some people don't have anything they want to sell or that would not go for enough to pay for it. This is usually very higher end stuff im talking about and I can see people buying it to be able to show it off or to be able to say they owned it or maybe they were intending to keep it but could not get what they thought they could for an item they were going to sell to pay for it.

Lokee
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I do the same but i guess some people don't have anything they want to sell or that would not go for enough to pay for it. This is usually very higher end stuff im talking about and I can see people buying it to be able to show it off or to be able to say they owned it or maybe they were intending to keep it but could not get what they thought they could for an item they were going to sell to pay for it.

I understand what you are saying.