PDA

View Full Version : Heyward ST wearables unique

sox83cubs84
04-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Braves star-in-the-making Jason Heyward won't be wearing a high number in the regular season. When Jason takes the field for the Braves Monday as they open the season againt the Cubs, Heyward will be wearing jersey #22. The selection of that number is a tribute to a deceased friend, Andrew Wilmot. Wilmot wore #22 when he and Heyward were part of the 2005 Georgia State Championship Prep Baseball Team at Henry County High School. Wilmot died about a year later in a car accident.

Dave M.
Chicago area

allstarsplus
04-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Braves star-in-the-making Jason Heyward won't be wearing a high number in the regular season. When Jason takes the field for the Braves Monday as they open the season againt the Cubs, Heyward will be wearing jersey #22. The selection of that number is a tribute to a deceased friend, Andrew Wilmot. Wilmot wore #22 when he and Heyward were part of the 2005 Georgia State Championship Prep Baseball Team at Henry County High School. Wilmot died about a year later in a car accident.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Thanks for the background. We will all be watching this kid closely!

sox83cubs84
04-05-2010, 06:12 PM
First at-bat wearing #22: a 3-run HR off Carlos Zambrano!

This guy just MIGHT be pretty good.;)

Dave M.
Chicago area

gingi79
05-19-2010, 09:19 PM
I am not the kind of guy who buys into hype. I think a ballplayer needs to show up for several big situations before he can be considered more than just a flash in the pan. I ignored that thought about Francoeur when he came up because he seemed to be able to handle it. As we all know, he was not. I swore I would never be sucked in by a "can't miss star in the making" again.

But watching Jason play this season has been an absolute joy. He shows up for every play, hustles, has fun and doesn't take the game too seriously. He never gets too high or too low. He's humble and well spoken. Most of all, the kid has some real skills.

He comes up to bat tonight after the Braves bullpen blew a 4 run lead. He has Prado on first and there are two outs. Instead of trying to clobber the ball, he works the count and waits for a good pitch to drive to the gap. The best part? After working the count full, he does exactly what he needs to to get Prado home to win in the bottom of the 9th.

Folks, this kid is 20 years old but he's playing like he has Chipper's experience. No one is penciling him in for the HOF or even a future perennial All Star. But if you see the Braves are on tv, give a look when he's at bat. In an age where everyone is concerned about steroids, here is a pure young talent who plays the game right and delivers some truly amazing plays.

LastingsMilledge85
05-19-2010, 11:35 PM
His batting average may not show how great he is, but for a rookie he comes through in the clutch more often than not. He really is spectacular when it counts most, but he will have very tough competition for NL ROY. Ironically, in the Heyward walk off game, another rookie, Chris Heisey, tied the game up off Wagner by hitting a solo HR to lead off the ninth.