PDA

View Full Version : Interesting story sort of related to gamers

legaleagle92481
03-31-2010, 08:38 AM
I wanted to post this earlier and it is not strictly related to sports but I still find it interesting as it deals with celebrity used items. In November i was at a Broadway show called A Steady Rain the only two cast members were Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig and at the end of the show after they took their curtain call Hugh told the crowd to wait a minute before leaving and proceeded to auction the shirts that him and Daniel wore on stage during the performance both their shirts and their undershirts. Anyway the bidding reached ten grand when he stopped it and asked the runnerup if she would match the bid to receive the undershirts and she did. So a set of their play worn shirts signed and dated went for 10 grand and a set of their play worn undershirts also signed and dated went for another ten grand. They tossed in a photo op backstage for the winners also. They did this at every performance for the entire month with the proceeds going to charity. I bring this up because people complain about the price of sports gamers when some actor's sweaty undershirt that he wore for 1.5 hours goes for ten grand every night.

godwulf
04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
That's a very cool story - very interesting. I get the impression that some celebs (including athletes) are sort of "creeped out" at the idea of people buying their clothes, and that sort of thing...but if there's a market for it, and especially if it benefits charity - good for them to do something like that.

More film companies are auctioning off screen-worn clothing these days, rather than just renting it from a prop/costume business and returning it after shooting. The folks who made the t.v. show 'Jericho' sent a bunch of costumes and props to a convention I attended in Kansas in 2008, to be auctioned off for charity, and I managed to snag a few very cool items.

TriplexXxSports
04-07-2010, 10:21 PM
I bring this up because people complain about the price of sports gamers when some actor's sweaty undershirt that he wore for 1.5 hours goes for ten grand every night.

Yeah, but Urlacher, Forte, and Briggs aren't offering me the shirts off their backs in an auction held in the south endzone after a game either.

legaleagle92481
04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, but Urlacher, Forte, and Briggs aren't offering me the shirts off their backs in an auction held in the south endzone after a game either.

It would be great if the NFL did that. The Islanders do that once a year in hockey, they auction each player's jersey and it ends a few days before the game with the winners getting complimentary game tickets and the players take off and hand them the jerseys in a ceremony after the game.

TriplexXxSports
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
It would be great if the NFL did that. The Islanders do that once a year in hockey, they auction each player's jersey and it ends a few days before the game with the winners getting complimentary game tickets and the players take off and hand them the jerseys in a ceremony after the game.

Sure would and I would be one broke SOB!

beaglegypsy003
04-11-2010, 12:18 AM
The Hamilton Tigercats sold the jerseys of the players that suited up for a game versus the British Columbia Lions for charity a couple of years ago. The winner also got a ticket to the game and could go on the field at the end and have a photo taken with the player (the player would also sign the jersey at that time). That was how I got my Timmy Chang jersey (came with a COA from the team).