PDA

View Full Version : JO Sports adding teams in 2010?

pietraynor
03-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Rec'd an email yesterday mentioning that JO Sports could add up to 5 more NFL teams to their sales list. JO rep on the board? Or anyone have info or a lead on the newcomers? Jay.

34swtns
03-30-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm hoping the Bucs are added.

Neely8
03-30-2010, 08:54 AM
If so hopefully their prices become a little more realistic.

momen55
03-30-2010, 09:13 AM
i agree with neely8.
no reason whatsoever to have such high prices. i don't collect football stuff, but that is beside the point. anything nfl related is overpriced and that is pathetic. if people are willing to pay it, well, i guess those companies will continue to have high prices.
it is nothing more that highway robbery without a gun. mlb is in the same boat.

indyred
03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Great news. I'm hoping for these 5 teams. Steelers, Patriots, 49ers, Packers and Cardinals.

JO should set up a auction page on their site. It would help getting people to check it. Also, Have special deals of the day ect. or now in off season do a MeiGray like sale. Buy one get one half off on newer stuff or 25-30% off, on older stuff that has sat a long time. Just do half off sale on some.
Have a few auctions going and start them at reasonable prices and let bidders decide the price. Get more people checking site daily.

34swtns
03-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Very well said, indy.

I've never understood the concept of retaining non-moving inventory indefinitely simply because you can't get top dollar for it.

If it's been sitting on your shelf dead in the water for 6+ months sell it for what you can get out of it and rollover the dough into new inventory.
Basic business 101.

I'm quite sure the mark-up on those jerseys can take the hit, easily.

JackHE
03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Noticed that alot of Raider jerseys have gone up on ebay - some with the Best Offer option so looks like they do want to move some inventory.

Raider jerseys on NFL Auction have been selling for some relatively low prices including some of the black Legacy jerseys.

J

skinsfan0521
03-30-2010, 02:04 PM
JO Sports does have a presence on here, but I'm guessing that they won't give out any early information about who the teams are. They may, but who knows.

JasonBanz
03-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I would love to see JO expand. I have never bought from them(because of the prices) but I have received e-mails from them just checking on me and seeing if there was anything I want. Their customer service seems top notch to me, but I just can't bring myself to pay over $1000 for a jersey that I could find in an auction house or NFL auctions for a few hundred less. I guess they know what they know what they are doing, they're still in business!

intheminors
03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
I investigated that a little as well when we hosted some NFL Folks here last week. Most of the conversations were just in passing but I have e-mailed all 32 team contacts that I got about how they sell game-used items, etc.

Right now, I've received a few Out of Office responses but did open some dialogue with the Vikings, Bears, Raiders & Patriots (2 of those are already JO teams).

Kyle

skinsfan0521
03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
JasonBanz - I agree. If they keep their prices this way, I'd never buy anything from them, but they must not have a huge reason to lower prices since they seem to sell a lot. In another thread, it was mentioned that they don't always sell the jerseys for the prices listed on their page. Somebody indicated that you could send them an offer and they may accept it.

legaleagle92481
03-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I do not think JO's prices are that bad on the majority of their jerseys. I have bought from them alot. They sell high quality stuff that arrives safely packaged with a nice folder that often includes photos of the player wearing the item. They have top notch customer service as well. I have bought from NFL auctions as well and JO runs rings around them in every area and NFL auctions stuff on the whole sells for higher prices. They also seem to really move their stuff particularly of the stars. They have the Jets but if you notice Sanchez, Revis and Mangold are out of stock. They have the Vikings they are out of Favre. They have the Chargers and are out of Tomlinson, Gates and down to one Rivers road jersey. They have Bears stuff but no Cutler or Urlacher left. Why should they lower their prices when they are selling their stuff? They are a business their ultimate goal like any others is too make as much money as possible.

chakes89
03-30-2010, 04:21 PM
It would be cool if they added the Bengals.

34swtns
03-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Why should they lower their prices when they are selling their stuff? They are a business their ultimate goal like any others is too make as much money as possible.

Reason #1: lots of dead inventory sitting....and sitting......for months on end.
If something has been for sale for 6 months+ at $1000 with no takers, what would you do? Bet I can guess.

Reason #2: see reason #1.

skinsfan0521
03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
I do not think JO's prices are that bad on the majority of their jerseys. I have bought from them alot. They sell high quality stuff that arrives safely packaged with a nice folder that often includes photos of the player wearing the item. They have top notch customer service as well. I have bought from NFL auctions as well and JO runs rings around them in every area and NFL auctions stuff on the whole sells for higher prices. They also seem to really move their stuff particularly of the stars. They have the Jets but if you notice Sanchez, Revis and Mangold are out of stock. They have the Vikings they are out of Favre. They have the Chargers and are out of Tomlinson, Gates and down to one Rivers road jersey. They have Bears stuff but no Cutler or Urlacher left. Why should they lower their prices when they are selling their stuff? They are a business their ultimate goal like any others is too make as much money as possible.
I agree that they have no reason to lower prices because they move star items through relatively quickly. But, they have a lot of 2nd (or 3rd) tier players listed at like $800. Instead of lowering prices, having sales, etc, they just let them sit there. Again, if I were them, I probably wouldn't lower them either because of their success selling for the high prices. I'm just saying that as a collector (not a high-end collector), it would be nice if they had more reasonable prices.

Just my opinion...

skinsfan0521
03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
For example, they've got 80+ Redskins GU Jerseys.... I quickly looked through and I think that only 3 or 4 are under $400. I'm talking about people that haven't been on the team (possibly the NFL) for 3 years or more and they're asking $500.

I'm honestly not bashing them, I'm just saying that if that were me, I'd be doing things a bit differently. They must have reasons for doing it that way and they seem to be pretty successful, so they don't have a real incentive to change.

Vikingshelmetguy
03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I have been really interested in buying a Vikings helmet from JO Sports, but the cost has been a little too much for me to afford ($1000 to $2000). I have a modest salary and I honestly can’t afford to pay that much for a helmet at this time. But from what I can see, there are clearly some buyers who are able to afford the prices that JO Sports asks for, and I am guessing that it is these kinds of buyers that JO targets. I have also seen too that JO has been offering lower-priced game worn inventory (mostly jerseys) on Ebay at very reasonable and fair prices.

skinsfan0521
03-30-2010, 05:04 PM
I have been really interested in buying a Vikings helmet from JO Sports, but the cost has been a little too much for me to afford ($1000 to $2000). I have a modest salary and I honestly can’t afford to pay that much for a helmet at this time. But from what I can see, there are clearly some buyers who are able to afford the prices that JO Sports asks for, and I am guessing that it is these kinds of buyers that JO targets. I have also seen too that JO has been offering lower-priced game worn inventory (mostly jerseys) on Ebay at very reasonable and fair prices.
Yeah, they have a Chris Cooley 'Skins helmet from 2007 (no significance) for $3k.... don't know why anybody would spend that. Buuut, like you said, I think they target the people who just want something and price is no object. Not people who are in the hobby.

What is JO sports eBay name?

sportscentury
03-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Reason #1: lots of dead inventory sitting....and sitting......for months on end.
If something has been for sale for 6 months+ at $1000 with no takers, what would you do? Bet I can guess.

It depends on how you read the market and what predictions you make about its future. I've had items that I could not sell for long periods of time that would now easily sell for triple of what I was originally asking. I wish I'd held onto these items rather than lowering their prices and moving them. I would imagine Jarrod spends an incredible amount of time watching and thinking about the football game used market and has information that few others have. Maybe Jarrod thinks that the market for his items in stock will change to his favor. This expectation could be based on a number of factors, not least of which is knowing that some collectors get tired of waiting for prices to come down and end up pulling the trigger at the seller's original asking price. Happens all the time.

Lokee
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I have never purchased anything from JO Sports but I just checked their site and they have plenty of jersey's starting at 150.00 which isn't too bad. Of course they are going to charge more for the "superstar players" and so they should.

If they can get what they get (price wise) good for them. Personally it is always nice to know what you are getting is THE REAL DEAL as apposed to "thinking" you have the real deal.

skinsfan0521
03-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I think that the biggest reason for them being able to charge the prices that they do is that they have exclusive partnerships with several teams. So, if you want a jersey from one of those teams (Redskins for me), then you need to buy it from them or the occasional BCA jersey on NFL Auctions.

sportscentury
Yeah, they have a Chris Cooley 'Skins helmet from 2007 (no significance) for $3k.... don't know why anybody would spend that. Buuut, like you said, I think they target the people who just want something and price is no object. Not people who are in the hobby.

Really?

Vikingshelmetguy

I just check and JO's Ebay name is: j.o.sportsco

skinsfan0521
03-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Really?
Yeah, I think that they focus on people who don't know about auction sites, have team contacts, etc. I don't think that many of the people on this board would be interested in most of their items.

I know that the star jerseys will move at whatever prices they make them among people in the hobby. No matter who the customer is (educated in the hobby or not), they will be able to sell an Adrian Peterson jersey for whatever they want. What I'm talking about is the jerseys from several years ago of people who weren't starters and aren't even in the NFL anymore. I don't see too many members of this board paying $500 for those jerseys. I'm guessing that they'd use other means to get one of these players if they really wanted one.

I'm only talking about Redskins stuff that JO has, because that's really all I'm interested in that JO has. I understand that somebody said earlier that they have many jerseys in the $150 range... and they may. But there isn't even ONE under $200 for the Redskins.

I'm really not trying to argue or anything like that. I'm just giving my opinion. I think that the high end are targeted to everybody, but the price drop isn't what I think it should be for the common player jerseys -- which is what I'm interested in and collect (as you could tell by who I collect in my signature. haha).

skinsfan0521
03-30-2010, 05:23 PM
I just check and JO's Ebay name is: j.o.sportsco
Thanks.

It looks like they've got a ton of Raiders jerseys on there and many of those seem to be reasonable. Same for Vikings jerseys. Many of those seem reasonable too.

I do agree w/the earlier poster who mentioned that they should have real auctions to set the prices. But, if I were them, I wouldn't do that either. You could get burned really badly by that and I wouldn't expect that they'd want to take that risk. I don't remember which one, but I do know that they just listed a bunch of items in a "major" online auction (maybe Gray Flannel, Legendary, Iconic, or something -- Don't remember which one right now.)

dcgreg25
03-30-2010, 06:53 PM
I may be in the minority but I can understand the model they appear to be working from. Given the appetite for game used items, these exclusive contracts with these teams are not cheap. JO brings a full inventory to their website and sell several items for premium prices to collectors willing to pay a premium for certain authenticity. The buyers also get a jersey that is otherwise very hard to locate paying a premium for certainty of getting the item and getting it directly from the team.

Once they have marketed these jerseys for a period of time, they release some into the secondary market (GUU Auctions, Grey Flannel, ebay, etc) to thin the inventory while likely keeping the prices higher on the more desirable inventory.

I personally own two jerseys that were authenticated through JO Sports. I purchased both through auction houses. However, I would purchase items directly from them to secure a player or jersey that was central to my collection and I could not find it elsewhere. They seem to target:

1. less hard-core collectors with significant disposable income who want something authentic and do not want to dig around trying to find it.

2. Seasoned collectors looking for "grail" items.

Yes these items can be often be found for less from other sources but they often require some searching/patience and knowledge. This time and energy has a value. At a certain price, it is worth it for a collector to pay to acquire an item. That number is different for all of us.

This model prices several collectors out of the market on their initial offerings but if those buyers did not buy, JO would not be viable keeping some great jerseys out of the hobby and some of their lesser jerseys out of the auctions. I am somewhat thankful for those collectors because they are the ones who gather the team and league attention bringing more quality authentic product into the marketplace. These jerseys are often resold at a loss but remain in the hobby.

I buy through NFL Auctions, NBA Auctions as well. Again premium prices but good jerseys that often can not be found elsewhere. Just my two cents.

bigben7
03-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I think JO Sports prices are very good since you know the source of there jersey's. I would not buy a game used jersey from ebay or some of the other auctions houses since there are too many fakes out there. If I am going to spend top dollar and I want know for sure my jersey was used by the player in an actual game.

JackHE
03-30-2010, 07:20 PM
"know for sure my jersey was used by the player in an actual game"

Be careful about any "blind faith" because mistakes do happen. Regardless of source (JO or otherwise) it is still up to the buyer to do the research if the authenticity truly matters especially if a premium price is being paid.

JasonBanz
03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Right now, the only way I would be able to afford something from JO is to sell my entire collection. I'd be able to afford one then. I'm middle class, which like most of us, live pay check to pay check due to this economy. I couldn't justify spending $1000 or more on a jersey right now because that could go towards several things that are more important. I truly enjoy my collection, and I don't think I need some expensive jersey to make my collection complete. Although I am pretty sure if money wasn't an issue, I'd have some pretty awesome jerseys! :D

dcgreg25
03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
"know for sure my jersey was used by the player in an actual game"

Be careful about any "blind faith" because mistakes do happen. Regardless of source (JO or otherwise) it is still up to the buyer to do the research if the authenticity truly matters especially if a premium price is being paid.

Good point. Homework is always a good thing and there are no absolutes. I should have clarified as a higher level of certainty.

efficaciousone
03-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Game Used
The prices on JO Sports are way over priced. I have tried to deal with JO Sports and there is negotiations with there prices! You are better off getting jersey from NFL Auctions. Plus I have heard that players in the league are starting to keep there game used jersey and send some of the game issued jersey to them.

skinsfan0521
03-30-2010, 08:11 PM
dcgreg - I completely agree with your point about how they get the people who aren't hardcore collectors and don't want to take the time/effort to find a jersey from another source. That's all I was trying to say too. I'm not saying that there is a problem with that at all, it's just not for me. I'd rather spend time/energy and get an item elsewhere because no matter what, I'm going to be doing research to make sure ANY item I buy is legit.

gingi79
03-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Game Used
The prices on JO Sports are way over priced. I have tried to deal with JO Sports and there is negotiations with there prices! You are better off getting jersey from NFL Auctions. Plus I have heard that players in the league are starting to keep there game used jersey and send some of the game issued jersey to them.

I'd like to know where that info came from. JO has some real nice pieces and responded to my emails so I would consider using them if they had a jersey I really liked. Please provide some sort of proof rather than just innuendo as the only negative I have heard about them is pricing.

I'm not really a collector who is willing to pay $1000 or more on a jersey unless it's something I would truly love and enjoy owning for many many years to come. At this time, NO player in today's NFL on the Dolphins is worth paying $750 or more for. However, that is just my opinion. Maybe if my wife and I had thousands of dollars to spend freely every month, my opinion might change.

I think JO has brought some truly nice pieces to the hobby and provides some measure of authenticity and service to the hobby. NFL jersey should be easily photomatchable and JO tells you which game it was worn so all of their stuff should be verifiable if a collector invests just a little time. I think if they owned the rights to every team 2 things would happen:

1) All we would ever talk about was how easy getting your player's authentic game worn shirt has become

2) We will all complain how damn expensive these shirts have become.

If I can be so bold as to offer some expert advice from someone who taught me a lot about this hobby: If you make one little known player's jersey with average use available (let's say a 4th string lineman) for $150 for every superstar's photomatched jersey (let's say a Pro Bowl QB) at $15K, then everyone will be able to own their teams jersey in their own price range and good vibes and chatter spreads about your company and profits go up. Either way, JO at least offers some integrity and backs up their items for their prices. Otherwise they'd be the Football Steiner :p

legaleagle92481
03-30-2010, 11:55 PM

here is my theory keeping all prices high makes collectors feel better about paying what they charge for the star player items.

legaleagle92481
03-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Game Used

first of all the players do not send the jerseys anywhere. the equipment manager takes care of that. when you buy through their team partnerships they give you a coa with such person's signature on it. second the jerseys are not the player's to keep they belong to the team and if they withheld them then they would be forcing the team to breach their contract with jo and subjecting it to a possible lawsuit. if you don't think companies sue players and teams google yadir molina steiner sports lawsuit in which steiner sued him for not living up to his end of their contract. third the vast majority of their jerseys are unwashed and when you receive them they evidence obvious use that ranges from good to tremendous such as grass and hit marks and team repairs. the jerseys clearly are not game issued.

legaleagle92481
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Game Used

and on your nfl auctions point. nfl auctions only auctions certain throwback and bca jerseys except for the dolphins and the occassional other team so if you want a regular jersey they are not a steady source for them. and they mess up all the time. they sold mulligans a joey porter game issued jersey as a gu one that is discussed in another thread on here as is the time they attempted to auction a jamal lewis jersey from a time period he was injured in as game used but dc greg caught it which is yet another post on here.

34swtns
03-31-2010, 06:19 AM
Game Used

Huh????

here is my theory keeping all prices high makes collectors feel better about paying what they charge for the star player items.

That theory actually makes sense. The downside of it is you end up sitting on a bunch of overpriced B-list players' stuff, indefinitely.

allstarsplus
03-31-2010, 08:01 AM
I think JO Sports prices are very good since you know the source of there jersey's. I would not buy a game used jersey from ebay or some of the other auctions houses since there are too many fakes out there. If I am going to spend top dollar and I want know for sure my jersey was used by the player in an actual game.

So you wouldn't buy a jersey on eBay that was photomatched?

JackHE
03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
I have no problem buying off ebay especially if there is a photo match. Heck, some of the sellers on ebay have more credibility than the cheats at the auction houses.

sportscentury
03-31-2010, 10:09 AM
So you wouldn't buy a jersey on eBay that was photomatched?

All other factors equal, I'd take a photomatched jersey on eBay 8 days a week over a non-photomatched jersey from even the most reputable dealer with the best of sources. This is a no-brainer.

Neely8
03-31-2010, 10:31 AM

I would say this statement is being narrow minded. If you have knowledge as it pertains to the hobby and do your homework there are plenty of jerseys out there that are legitimate. Regarding football and hockey (sports where wear is generally pretty obvious) most of the time wear on a jersey speaks for itself for authenticity.

skipcarayislegend
03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
All other factors equal, I'd take a photomatched jersey on eBay 8 days a week over a non-photomatched jersey from even the most reputable dealer with the best of sources. This is a no-brainer.

You'd think, Reid. There are some oddballs out there, not to mention all the newbies who still put too much faith in LOAs. I once sold something that was a slam-dunk photomatch. We're talking legit matches from different angles. I posted multiple angles of both the item in my possession and on the field. I had a guy email me and ask if it included a COA. (A fair question since team letters never hurt.) Mine did not. It was already about 10 years old. The guy emailed back and said he wasn't interested in it without a COA. It gave me a good laugh.

sportscentury
03-31-2010, 10:37 AM
You'd think, Reid. There are some oddballs out there, not to mention all the newbies who still put too much faith in LOAs. I once sold something that was a slam-dunk photomatch. We're talking legit matches from different angles. I posted multiple angles of both the item in my possession and on the field. I had a guy email me and ask if it included a COA. (A fair question since team letters never hurt.) Mine did not. It was already about 10 years old. The guy emailed back and said he wasn't interested in it without a COA. It gave me a good laugh.

I am in the process of buying a jersey that I just photomatched. After I photomatched it, the seller wrote to say that he forgot to mention that the jersey has a team letter. I replied, "Great, please toss it in with the jersey." I'll keep the letter for re-sale purposes, but it means nothing to me personally after having photomatched the shirt.

josports
03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Thank you for all of your thoughts. We are in the process to communicate with Chris and GUU to offer some great specials to everyone who participates on GUU/Forum. One thing I want make sure happens is we by no means want to break any forum rules or put Chris in a situation where he has to answer questions regarding this exclusive GUU/Forum members offer. Secondly, I cannot discuss the teams we are in negotiations with for 2010.
Last, I want to comment on the post regarding players sending us game issued items. To my knowledge this is 100% false. If that member would like to contact me regarding this statement please do.
Please be patient regarding the exclusive offer as Chris and I will be in discussions working out the details.

Thank you,
Jarrod Oldridge

JasonBanz
03-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Thank you for all of your thoughts. We are in the process to communicate with Chris and GUU to offer some great specials to everyone who participates on GUU/Forum. One thing I want make sure happens is we by no means want to break any forum rules or put Chris in a situation where he has to answer questions regarding this exclusive GUU/Forum members offer. Secondly, I cannot discuss the teams we are in negotiations with for 2010.
Last, I want to comment on the post regarding players sending us game issued items. To my knowledge this is 100% false. If that member would like to contact me regarding this statement please do.
Please be patient regarding the exclusive offer as Chris and I will be in discussions working out the details.

Thank you,
Jarrod Oldridge

Jarrod,
Thank you! That would be awesome to get exclusive offers. Looking forward to hearing more in the future!

reed1216
04-01-2010, 12:37 AM
I've purchased from JO Sports and couldn't be happier with my items. In fact, of my 7 Bears jeresys, 4 are authenticated and came from JO Sports, 2 came from Game Exclusives (2006 Briggs and a 2006 Muhammad) and the other is a circa 1986 Neal Anderson that's beaten to high hell. While the Muhammad had relatively few marks on it, it was used in a game where he caught just one pass, against the Cardinals in the classic MNF game. The Briggs is easily photomatched to the 2006 game versus the Giants.

Each of the 4 jerseys purchased from JO Sports were easily photomatched (2009 J. Cutler, 2007 T. Harris, 2007 C. Benson and a 2007 B. Berrian). I purchased the Cutler and the Harris directly from them at their asking prices and while the prices were on the high side, even with my starting salary as a therapist/social worker (while finishing my last semester of graduate school), they were worth every penny to me.

I did get the Benson from GUU Auctions and the Berrian from an EBay seller for significantly less than what JO Sports was asking. When I bought the Cutler for $2500, I was concerned that I overpaid. However, within a week of buying it, the white one they had for sale was purchased and one the was sold through NFL auctions went for exactly $2500, the same prices JO Sports was asking for theirs.

While these prices do seem high, the quality pieces are selling. I am soooo glad I pulled the trigger on my Cutler jersey now. He's bound to improve upon last year's performance and I believe he has the potential to be among the best QBs in the NFL, provided he gets a receiver, or two that can run a route and catch the ball.

As far as I'm concerned, people are going to pay what they're going to pay. If you want quality pieces that are iron clad in their authenticity, JO Sports is a great source. Their customer service is amazing and I'd rank them right there with MeiGray as the best dealers in the hobby.

gatorcollector
04-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I've purchased 2 jerseys from JO and have been very pleased. The first was a Ciatrick Fason Vikings jersey for $250. Did I overpay for that? Sure. But he's the last 1,000 yard rusher for the Gators, and the peace of mind in dealing with JO is worth something. The other one I bought was a 2007 Alex Brown Bears jersey. It was listed at $1000 for a long time, but when they dropped it to $750 I pulled the trigger. Too high? Maybe. But now I have a jersey of UF's all time sack leader. Both jerseys show awesome use and the Brown is photomatched.

It's all about what you're willing to pay and JO's cash flow. If they need a cash infusion to close deals with new teams, you might see some markdowns to get those jerseys selling.

zooat2
04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I've purchased 2 jerseys from JO and have been very pleased. The first was a Ciatrick Fason Vikings jersey for $250. Did I overpay for that? Sure. But he's the last 1,000 yard rusher for the Gators, and the peace of mind in dealing with JO is worth something. The other one I bought was a 2007 Alex Brown Bears jersey. It was listed at $1000 for a long time, but when they dropped it to $750 I pulled the trigger. Too high? Maybe. But now I have a jersey of UF's all time sack leader. Both jerseys show awesome use and the Brown is photomatched.

It's all about what you're willing to pay and JO's cash flow. If they need a cash infusion to close deals with new teams, you might see some markdowns to get those jerseys selling.

- $250 for an AUTHENTIC GAME USED NFL jersey is NOT a lot of money, considering if you just buy a generic authentic jersey on NFL.com your gonna pay $400....

legaleagle92481
04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
- $250 for an AUTHENTIC GAME USED NFL jersey is NOT a lot of money, considering if you just buy a generic authentic jersey on NFL.com your gonna pay $400....

Exactly. And the point that is lost on alot of people is that this stuff is luxury items not necessary items as is anything else sports related.

skinsfan0521
04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I agree that $250 for a jersey isn't a lot of money. My point earlier was that (for Redskins ONLY), there is no option to get a starter (or even somebody who has played sparingly in the past few years) for under $400. That, to me, is crazy.

indyred
04-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I agree that $250 for a jersey isn't a lot of money. My point earlier was that (for Redskins ONLY), there is no option to get a starter (or even somebody who has played sparingly in the past few years) for under $400. That, to me, is crazy.

JO Sports has a bunch of Redskins at $400 and under. Some in low mid $200's.
http://www.josportsco.com/list_products.asp?CatID=0&TeamID=6000000&SubID=7000000&Page=3

skinsfan0521
04-01-2010, 05:52 PM
JO Sports has a bunch of Redskins at $400 and under. Some in low mid $200's.
http://www.josportsco.com/list_products.asp?CatID=0&TeamID=6000000&SubID=7000000&Page=3
I'm aware that they have some... my issue is that they have Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuletta jerseys for $240. Those guys are bums and they've got their jerseys for $240. That's just a joke.

As I said earlier, I don't disagree with their prices for "star" players because when you've got items from a star, you can charge whatever you want because the demand is there. But when you're trying to sell jerseys of hacks for several hundred dollars, that's where you lose me. And, again, they must have a good reason to do it, and it seems to be working out well for them. I'm just saying that's why I haven't (and probably won't unless things change) bought anything from them. Not because of quality or authenticity or customer service or anything like that... simply price.

bigben7
04-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Skinsfan,

I would glady purchase any bums on the Steelers for $240. That seems like a great price for a game used jersey.

indyred
04-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm aware that they have some... my issue is that they have Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuletta jerseys for $240. Those guys are bums and they've got their jerseys for $240. That's just a joke.

As I said earlier, I don't disagree with their prices for "star" players because when you've got items from a star, you can charge whatever you want because the demand is there. But when you're trying to sell jerseys of hacks for several hundred dollars, that's where you lose me. And, again, they must have a good reason to do it, and it seems to be working out well for them. I'm just saying that's why I haven't (and probably won't unless things change) bought anything from them. Not because of quality or authenticity or customer service or anything like that... simply price.

They have Jansen, Thomas, Griffin, Marcus Washington all under $400. Those guys were all starters and decent players. $220 for even scrub player is pretty good deal. When you know it's a legit gamer sourced from the team with wear team letter ect.

hrvatwill
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Don't know if anybody noticed, but somebody came in yesterday and bought every single remaining Steelers item, which I think consisted of three jerseys and three helmets........

34swtns
04-01-2010, 09:43 PM
$220 for even scrub player is pretty good deal. When you know it's a legit gamer sourced from the team with wear team letter ect.

Not true. There are boatloads of game used NFL jerseys that hit the market that aren't even worth $100. The players just don't pull decent prices. They just don't.
And you can't use the comparison that any gamer should be worth a couple hundred bucks because retail authentics cost even more. It's apples to oranges, two different products, two different target buyers.
Let me preface this by saying I've had dealings with and made satisfactory purchases from JO Sports. While I've never gotten what I would consider to be "a bargain" from them I will say that they were at least willing to negotiate with me in order to make an item's price more realistic.
I collect Bears gamers and Buccaneers gamers. There are tons of Bucs gamers that become available every year from players past and present that barely break the $200 mark. That's accepted among those of us who are knowledgeable regarding Bucs equipment. You pay more than a couple bills for a Bucs jersey and you'd better really like it because you may not get your money back out of it. At the same time, we see Bears jerseys belonging to B-listers and guys who are no longer with the team for sale for twice what a similar Bucs jersey would sell for. Other than the fact that it's from a more desirable team, a typical example of these Bears jerseys are still realistically worth around $200-250....tops. The resale market proves it every time.
I've bought and sold more examples of these than I could possibly count.
Unless it's a star player, these lesser players' jerseys just don't maintain their value.......at all. If you're able to control the market to the point where you can get $400-500 for one-year players and traded/cut players then you, sir, have hit the lottery. Regardless of all the team paperwork, COA's, wearmarks, photomatching and whatever bells and whistles you can attach to a jersey, in the real world some of these are not now nor will they ever be worth more than $200. Period.
If you're able to command more than that amount for them, God bless you, you're clearly an example of the American dream at it's finest.
There will be cheerleaders and others who will attempt to present an argument to the contrary, but those of us who are truly knowledgeable in the buying and re-selling of these items with the intention of not losing money know that there is none.
While I commend JO Sports for organizing a successful and badly-needed venue in which to market an item which has not previously been marketed on such a scale, I would like to see some issues in regards to the pricing of these less desirable jerseys. We all watch them sit in their inventory for months for a reason. Price them to move and they'll move, I promise you that, and I certainly hope that with their new plan to work with the members of this forum they will be working towards that end.

skinsfan0521
04-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Not true. There are boatloads of game used NFL jerseys that hit the market that aren't even worth $100. The players just don't pull decent prices. They just don't.
And you can't use the comparison that any gamer should be worth a couple hundred bucks because retail authentics cost even more. It's apples to oranges, two different products, two different target buyers.
Let me preface this by saying I've had dealings with and made satisfactory purchases from JO Sports. While I've never gotten what I would consider to be "a bargain" from them I will say that they were at least willing to negotiate with me in order to make an item's price more realistic.
I collect Bears gamers and Buccaneers gamers. There are tons of Bucs gamers that become available every year from players past and present that barely break the $200 mark. That's accepted among those of us who are knowledgeable regarding Bucs equipment. You pay more than a couple bills for a Bucs jersey and you'd better really like it because you may not get your money back out of it. At the same time, we see Bears jerseys belonging to B-listers and guys who are no longer with the team for sale for twice what a similar Bucs jersey would sell for. Other than the fact that it's from a more desirable team, a typical example of these Bears jerseys are still realistically worth around $200-250....tops. The resale market proves it every time.
Unless it's a star player, these lesser players' jerseys just don't maintain their value.......at all. If you're able to control the market to the point where you can get $400-500 for one-year players and traded/cut players then you, sir, have hit the lottery. Regardless of all the team paperwork, COA's, wearmarks, photomatching and whatever bells and whistles you can attach to a jersey, in the real world some of these are not now nor will they ever be worth more than $200. Period.
If you're able to command more than that amount for them, God bless you, you're clearly an example of the American dream at it's finest.
There will be cheerleaders and others who will attempt to present an argument to the contrary, but those of us who are truly knowledgeable in the buying and re-selling of these items with the intention of not losing money know that there is none.
While I commend JO Sports for organizing a successful and badly-needed venue in which to market an item which has not previously been marketed on such a scale, I would like to see some issues in regards to the pricing of these less desirable jerseys. We all watch them sit in their inventory for months for a reason. Price them to move and they'll move, I promise you that, and I certainly hope that with their new plan to work with the members of this forum they will be working towards that end.
While I'm not somebody who's in the market to buy & resell equipment, I completely agree with everything you've said.

Just cuz somebody will buy the scrub jerseys for $400, doesn't mean that they'll ever sell for that again. I can almost guarantee you that if you put any of those jerseys on eBay, they'd get 1/2 the price at best.

I completely agree with your statements about JO Sports as well... I also commend them for their business and the success of it, I just don't think that it helps out the "average" collector. It certainly caters to the high end, star jerseys, but it doesn't help to make game used equipment to the "average joe" for a reasonable price. I don't understand either how it helps them out when they just sit on inventory. The #1 rule of business is to turnover inventory... and that doesn't happen quickly with JO.

I also agree that with this newly announced plan to work with GUU members, I hope that they give us reasonable prices. Since I don't go for the superstar jerseys, I don't care if they offer a discount on them, I'm just hoping for them to bring their prices down to reasonable levels for the jerseys of semi-stars that have been sitting on the shelves for a couple years.

legaleagle92481
04-01-2010, 11:15 PM

well the bears are a national level team on par with the steelers and cowboys with a rich history dating back years before any of us were born. they have had some of the most beloved players in history sayers, payton, butkus, etc. the bucs on the other hand are more limited to regional appeal and even their stars like brooks and sapp are extremely underrated. so i can see bears jerseys going for alot more than bucs jerseys just like yankees jerseys sell for much more than marlins jerseys. that being said most jerseys are a bad investment. nonstars will be forgotten for the most part and there will be a limited market for their stuff at any price in 20 years. star players are a bad investment also because sometimes they burn out short of immortal status ie shaun alexander, jamal lewis, eddie george, daunte culpepper and on and on and despite solid careers those who bought their stuff when they looked on the road to canton being forced to sell at a price that reflects their total career rather than their high peak. and even the ones that do not burn out are replaced in the spotlight by the next big thing with very limited exceptions and that along with a supply that is unprecedented will cause a drop in prices. it happened with cards and autographs. i only collect the stars so as i have posted i dont have a problem with jo's prices i am just glad to have them made available to me and overall their prices i feel are fair at this time with a few exceptions as with any company. but i am not looking at it as an investment just to enjoy my items and im cool with taking a loss if i ever decide to sell my items as i have done with the autographs i have sold and a few jerseys i have unloaded.

sportscentury
04-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Skinsfan,

I would glady purchase any bums on the Steelers for $240. That seems like a great price for a game used jersey.

Bigben7 -- Welcome to the forum! I hope you don't mind me asking, but after reading your first two GUU posts in this thread, I am curious ... Do you have some sort of affiliation with JO Sports?

TriplexXxSports
04-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Very well said. You and I have discussed this on numerous occasions and some of what you said will fall on deaf ears, but in all you are exactly right.

On a side note, back to the issue of JO's prices, I have to admit that (in my Bears market at least) the prices are just whacked. Not so much for the value they feel that the individual jerseys are worth, but in the sense that their price scheme seems tilted.

This may not be the same for other teams inventory, but mind you, I am only speaking in terms of their Bears items.

What I cannot grasp is the pricing between the same players jerseys. They have a Matt Forte jersey from the 2009 season listed at $3500. Right next to it they have another Matt Forte, (2008) listed for $500 MORE. Other examples include a Briggs listed at $1125, and one at $1500 - a $375 difference. Alex Brown for $1100, one at $750, etc.

To me that makes absolutely no sense. Why is the same players jersey more, or less. Why not price them all the same? This tells me that there is alot of room for mark-up and when 1 jersey is priced $350+ more than a jersey of the same player, that points me into believing it is greed.

Now, before I appear to be knocking JO, let me say that I have worked with Jarrod personally on many occasions. I own 3 pieces from JO. Like everyone pointed out their customer service, response time, etc. is above all the best I have come across. Perfect example - on Monday (12/29/2008) I e-mailed JO and said that I wanted Urlacher's uniform from that Sunday's game. Jarrod made that all possible. Couple of month's later, the full uniform arrived at my door step. I do not know of any other place out there that would do that, or even CAN do that, for that matter. I will always commend these guys for what they do in this hobby.

It's just the prices...! As someone said earlier (Skins maybe), they seem to cater to the higher end collectors. I have made that same point in another thread about JO. All I would ever ask of them is to help out the little folk a bit more. We have all seen that JO has recently been tapping into the auction market (GUU, GFC, eBay, etc.) so they have to see that their realized prices are considerably less than their original asking price. Listening to the customer, and watching what your items sell for in the open market gives you a perfect idea of what the items are actually worth.

captainhaddock
04-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Can't speak to the other teams, but I have bought a ton of much cheaper Skins stuff with great game wear from Mark Hayne. I spoke to him live last night, and he is planning a Skins sale next week. His email is gixc@verizon.net (gixc@verizon.net). Highest recommendation!

legaleagle92481
04-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Very well said. You and I have discussed this on numerous occasions and some of what you said will fall on deaf ears, but in all you are exactly right.

On a side note, back to the issue of JO's prices, I have to admit that (in my Bears market at least) the prices are just whacked. Not so much for the value they feel that the individual jerseys are worth, but in the sense that their price scheme seems tilted.

This may not be the same for other teams inventory, but mind you, I am only speaking in terms of their Bears items.

What I cannot grasp is the pricing between the same players jerseys. They have a Matt Forte jersey from the 2009 season listed at $3500. Right next to it they have another Matt Forte, (2008) listed for $500 MORE. Other examples include a Briggs listed at $1125, and one at $1500 - a $375 difference. Alex Brown for $1100, one at $750, etc.

To me that makes absolutely no sense. Why is the same players jersey more, or less. Why not price them all the same? This tells me that there is alot of room for mark-up and when 1 jersey is priced $350+ more than a jersey of the same player, that points me into believing it is greed.

Now, before I appear to be knocking JO, let me say that I have worked with Jarrod personally on many occasions. I own 3 pieces from JO. Like everyone pointed out their customer service, response time, etc. is above all the best I have come across. Perfect example - on Monday (12/29/2008) I e-mailed JO and said that I wanted Urlacher's uniform from that Sunday's game. Jarrod made that all possible. Couple of month's later, the full uniform arrived at my door step. I do not know of any other place out there that would do that, or even CAN do that, for that matter. I will always commend these guys for what they do in this hobby.

It's just the prices...! As someone said earlier (Skins maybe), they seem to cater to the higher end collectors. I have made that same point in another thread about JO. All I would ever ask of them is to help out the little folk a bit more. We have all seen that JO has recently been tapping into the auction market (GUU, GFC, eBay, etc.) so they have to see that their realized prices are considerably less than their original asking price. Listening to the customer, and watching what your items sell for in the open market gives you a perfect idea of what the items are actually worth.

Well mon Forte 2008 was his rookie year so maybe that is why it is more than a 2009. And the cheaper Briggs is not matched to a specfic game from the season it was used so maybe that is why. They seem to charge more based on little disparities. They are charging 500 more for a photomatched jersey of that nebraska DT then one that is not.

legaleagle92481
04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Well mon Forte 2008 was his rookie year so maybe that is why it is more than a 2009. And the cheaper Briggs is not matched to a specfic game from the season it was used so maybe that is why. They seem to charge more based on little disparities. They are charging 500 more for a photomatched jersey of that nebraska DT then one that is not.

Maybe not mon.

legaleagle92481
04-02-2010, 09:30 AM
We have all seen that JO has recently been tapping into the auction market (GUU, GFC, eBay, etc.) so they have to see that their realized prices are considerably less than their original asking price. Listening to the customer, and watching what your items sell for in the open market gives you a perfect idea of what the items are actually worth.

Don't MEIgray and Steiner do similiar things? Steiner auctions some items, offers discounts codes/specials/sales and sells through direct dealers at lower prices than listed. meigray auctions some hockey items on nhl.com and runs sales that sell jerseys for 30-50% of their asking price.

TriplexXxSports
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM

I don't think that this statement can hold any water. They had an Olsen rookie up there that was photomatched for $937, where as his 2009 gamer was $1500. So to say that they base their prices according to photmatches, rookie, etc., just doesn't add up in this case.

The Suh jersey you refer to is a perfect example of my point. The photomatched jersey is $500 cheaper than the one from the 2009 season - the season the Huskers went to the Championship down in Texas.

Where are they getting their price schemes from? I'm sure that both of those Suh jerseys were bought for the same amount, so what constititues the $500 difference in price?

TriplexXxSports
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
.....so what constititues the $500 difference in price?

Not to mention the $4500 price tag for a kid that hasn't even been drafted yet.

Are you telling me, that based on Suh's price tag, that that kat is better the Urlacher, or Jarred Allen, I mean come on.

TriplexXxSports
04-02-2010, 11:50 AM
.........I mean come on.......

<EDIT>

.....where are these prices coming from?

efficaciousone
04-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I'd like to know where that info came from. JO has some real nice pieces and responded to my emails so I would consider using them if they had a jersey I really liked. Please provide some sort of proof rather than just innuendo as the only negative I have heard about them is pricing.

I'm not really a collector who is willing to pay $1000 or more on a jersey unless it's something I would truly love and enjoy owning for many many years to come. At this time, NO player in today's NFL on the Dolphins is worth paying $750 or more for. However, that is just my opinion. Maybe if my wife and I had thousands of dollars to spend freely every month, my opinion might change.

I think JO has brought some truly nice pieces to the hobby and provides some measure of authenticity and service to the hobby. NFL jersey should be easily photomatchable and JO tells you which game it was worn so all of their stuff should be verifiable if a collector invests just a little time. I think if they owned the rights to every team 2 things would happen:

1) All we would ever talk about was how easy getting your player's authentic game worn shirt has become

2) We will all complain how damn expensive these shirts have become.

If I can be so bold as to offer some expert advice from someone who taught me a lot about this hobby: If you make one little known player's jersey with average use available (let's say a 4th string lineman) for $150 for every superstar's photomatched jersey (let's say a Pro Bowl QB) at $15K, then everyone will be able to own their teams jersey in their own price range and good vibes and chatter spreads about your company and profits go up. Either way, JO at least offers some integrity and backs up their items for their prices. Otherwise they'd be the Football Steiner :p

Well to answer question: First off you are right about the equipment manager handling the jersey so I should know what I am talking bout when I say that the Raiders Equipment manager is Danny Molina. Second JO Sports has a Thomas Howard Jersey for sale $2000 on there website and ebay. NFL Auctions one of the 2009 season game worn jersey listed currently on auction. Now I been watching game worn jersey on there website for the last two years and have purchase a few. As a consumer you are telling me cause JO Sports has team rights that they are not over priced when we all know that the Howard jersey might not sell for no more than 400.00. That is 1600.00 dollar difference. And he is a active 2nd hand (LB) player!!!!

34swtns
04-03-2010, 09:39 AM
At the very least, this thread has established the fact that JO's pricing is an issue that is being discussed among collectors quite often and among collectors/resellers........constantly.

I won't disagree with those of you who have chimed in with the "I've bought things from them and was happy with the price 'cuz I got paperwork and I really wanted that jersey" point of view. That's fine, you're primarily collectors. You are JO's target audience. You buy things because you want them without regard to their resale value and that's fine. You're the tentpoles that prop up this industry.

I, on the other hand, buy these same items but I'm always looking to get the best deal I can possibly get because while I do tend to buy with the intention of keeping some items, invariably, everything is eventually going to be sold or traded. This fact makes it necessary to buy things that are priced "realistically". I truly like a lot of the items I've purchased in the past and some of them I still own as "cornerstones" of my personal collection but the bottom line is I don't intend to be buried with any of this stuff. Eventually, somebody else will end up with all of it and I'd like to not take a financial "bath" when the transfers are made.
This is an argument that I frequently have with another collector whom I've dealt with in the past. I always seem to have some "whale" item he wants and he's always trying to work some sort of trade deal with me to get it. These deals usually include varying degreees of "JO-type" items and he can't seem to understand that I couldn't possibly give his "JO items" anywhere near the trade value that he originally paid for them. He'll say, "but I paid $1000 for that Briggs jersey" to which I reply "fine, but it's really only worth $500-700, tops, so that's the trade value I can give you for it".
It frustrates him to no end and I sympathize with him but things are only worth what they are worth in the real world. I've said it a million times and collectors will continue to try to come up with an argument for this statement but it is unfortunately iron-clad:
An item's value is determined by what someone is realistically able to resell it for and not what you originally paid for it.
Basic business 101, since the dawn of time.
The bottom line here is I can't afford to patronize JO's inventory as much as I'd like to because I simply can't afford to. It's not that I don't have the money, I just have to shop for items wisely. I just can't make myself buy something that I know is really only worth about half to two-thirds what I'm paying for it, at best. (The cars we buy are the exception to this thinking but they're a matter of necessity, so it's a little different).
If you simply collect to own and don't mind paying whatever price is necessary to acquire an item, that's great. You are JO's ideal client. They're not catering to me and they're not obligated to. However, I represent a large portion of the potential audience for the items which they sell. If their pricing were more in line with what we collector/resellers require then it would open up a much larger client base for them and maybe items wouldn't sit in their inventory for months on end.
As I said before, price 'em to move and they'll move.

Jules9
04-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Jerseys are like buying a car. Just because you paid $40,000 for a car 4 years ago doesn't mean it's still worth $40,000 if you went to sell it 4 years later.

When you buy a jersey from a dealer, it seams like the "value" drops 20-30 percent or basically ends up where it should of been priced to begin with, when it's purchased from them. Although some jerseys are the exception.....but not many.

sportscentury
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Jerseys are like buying a car. Just because you paid $40,000 for a car 4 years ago doesn't mean it's still worth $40,000 if you went to sell it 4 years later.

When you buy a jersey from a dealer, it seams like the "value" drops 20-30 percent or basically ends up where it should of been priced to begin with, when it's purchased from them. Although some jerseys are the exception.....but not many.

This comparison is not so good. When you buy a car, its value drops as soon as you drive it off of the lot. Over time, it only continues to depreciate in value. If you're smart about your jersey purchases, it's not that difficult to at least break even, if not make a profit down the line. I respect JO's business model and it is Jarrod's right to price all of his items as he sees fit. But, like 34swtns, I always try to make smart purchases. In this context, a smart purchase is one that is unlikely to cause me to incur a loss when I go to trade or sell it.

indyred
04-03-2010, 01:34 PM

Agree. You pay a premium to be the first owner of a jersey from a dealer like JO, Meigray, NFL.com ect. You know the jersey hasn't been messed with or worn by a collector, gets switched out ect. I prefer buying straight from the source. Just for that piece of mind. You can trust the dealers and know it is the real deal and you will get the jersey as expected. I know some people just don't like buying off Ebay. No matter how good the deal. People get burned on Ebay all the time.

sportscentury
04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Agree. You pay a premium to be the first owner of a jersey from a dealer like JO, Meigray, NFL.com ect. You know the jersey hasn't been messed with or worn by a collector, gets switched out ect. I prefer buying straight from the source. Just for that piece of mind. You can trust the dealers and know it is the real deal and you will get the jersey as expected. I know some people just don't like buying off Ebay. No matter how good the deal. People get burned on Ebay all the time.

I have purchased a good number of jerseys from MeiGray over the years, which is "buying straight from the source" as you say. I don't think there has been a single time when I have not been able to get my value back when I have gone to trade or sell the jerseys I've purchased from them.

I will say that this has been an interesting thread in that it has provided insight as to how some collectors rationalize their purchases. This comparison to car buying, for instance, is really fascinating. Personally, I'd be in the poor house if I used this approach, but more power to you guys!

bigben7
04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
If so hopefully their prices become a little more realistic.
Bottom line you get what you pay for. JO Sports charges a little more but you can me confident you are getting the real deal unlike some other companies.

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2010, 11:09 PM
......This comparison to car buying, for instance, is really fascinating. Personally, I'd be in the poor house if I used this approach, but more power to you guys!.

I own a '73 Nova SS that rolled off the dealers floor at $3700. More than 37 years later I could flip that car for 3x that.

Point being that "some", and I emphasize "SOME" players jerseys could fall into a select category that would return your investement had you have to sell/trade it in the future.

The big picture here is that 87% (my fair estimate) of JO's jerseys, or MeiGray's, or NFL.com's jersey will never return a dime. Most of the players that these guys are selling for well above their 'realistic' prices will never be remembered as a significant face of the sport, or hobby, therefore a poor investment. Regardless of your personal fascination with the player at your time of purchase.

So again I ask - why do these 2nd string, 3rd string, and dudes not even on the roster anymore command such high prices?

Using the car reference here - if someone was selling a mint green '68 Ford Pinto for $12,000.00 we would all say they seller was crazy, yet if they were selling a '65 Chevy II, or '69 Camaro LS6, or a '67 Shelby Cobra for $12000.00 we would all be talking about what a good price that was.

Very few players that these guys sell fall into the '67 Shelby category, so why would someone want to pay such a high cost for a players jersey? Urlacher, Peterson, Favre, Bush, Manning, etc., can command top dollar, but a Garza for $1500, or a Culpepper for $800, or John Abraham for $1500 - :eek:.......really?!

Dewey2007
04-04-2010, 12:23 AM
One reason I think that places like JO Sports can command the prices they do for players that are not stars is where else are you going to get them. It's not like every GU dealer is selling them. If they were that readily avaiable then JO's prices wouldn't be what they are. For instance if someone wants a Garza or Abraham jersey for their collection where else are they going to get one that is legit and in many cases shows straight off the field wear? Not on eBay and not directly from the team. That is something that I feel is built into their prices. The fact that you cannot just get a jersey like the one's they have anywhere else.

Also, while I don't know for sure but I imagine JO and Meigray are not getting these jerseys for dirt cheap prices themselves. I believe they have to pay a nice fee to get these exclusive deals with these teams and that doesn't come cheap. Teams know this stuff sells so they are not just going to give this stuff away for pennies on the dollar. They want their cut too.

sportscentury
04-04-2010, 03:48 AM
I own a '73 Nova SS that rolled off the dealers floor at $3700. More than 37 years later I could flip that car for 3x that.

Congratulations, but I thought we were speaking in terms of general rules. This is, of course, an exception. 99% of the time that you buy a car, it is exactly as I stated. I'll say it again, if you are smart about your purchases, you have plenty of options in this hobby and can do well, even when you primarily buy from dealers. Alternatively, if you collect with the attitude that you are going to lose money anyway so why not pull the trigger on a high-priced item, then you are far, far less likely to do well. When buying a car, a smart purchase means something very different because (again, 99% of the time) the buyer understands going in that he is buying an instantly depreciating asset.

sportscentury
04-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Also, while I don't know for sure but I imagine JO and Meigray are not getting these jerseys for dirt cheap prices themselves. I believe they have to pay a nice fee to get these exclusive deals with these teams and that doesn't come cheap. Teams know this stuff sells so they are not just going to give this stuff away for pennies on the dollar. They want their cut too.

Absolutely. I don't think most collectors realize how costly these exclusive team contracts are.

jobathenut
04-04-2010, 03:56 AM
Don't you think that a car has more resale value than a game used item does.I just think that cars (and i mean like show cars like barret jackson type) hold thier resale values more than game used items do.What are your thoughts about it.I think you really can not compare them.I mean if i had a 57 chevy,i bet i could sell that for a great resale value and is never going to go down in value.Where the same game used item from the era no matter the player could go up and down in value and might not be as high as you paid for it.But i dont think you ever take a lost on the car.

jobathenut
04-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Sorry for going off topic.I just saw the post comparing to a car and you really can't do that.Again just my thoughts.

TriplexXxSports
04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
One reason I think that places like JO Sports can command the prices they do for players that are not stars is where else are you going to get them......

That is something that I feel is built into their prices. The fact that you cannot just get a jersey like the one's they have anywhere else.....They want their cut too.

I agree on your first point that some of these players jersey would never hit the open market if it weren't for JO, but most of the players are not collected by groups as a whole. These lesser known players are mostly collected by a select few and are never going to be a 'high demand item', yet they are priced that way.

....And tying into your second point about them wanting their cut, are we to assume that JO did not make their cut when they sold a Favre for $25K, or a Sanchez for $20K? Given, those are high demand players, but the way those jerseys were priced, I guarantee they made enough profit to lighten the load, so to speak, on the lesser known players. I'm sure that the money made on the 2 Favre jerseys that sold covered their contract with Minnesota and some!

As I mentioned in one of my previous statements, making the kind of coin they do on jerseys (like the Favre's) and then trying to sell these less desirable jerseys at such high cost, just seems greedy.

Price those lesser jerseys to sell, not sit. Make your money where you can on the high dollar/high demand items, and use that profit margin to work more with the common folk on the other 90% of your inventory.

Business 101 I heard tossed around - EXACTLY!

TriplexXxSports
04-04-2010, 08:38 AM
..Alternatively, if you collect with the attitude that you are going to lose money anyway so why not pull the trigger on a high-priced item, then you are far, far less likely to do well.

Absolutely. In the context of JO's current price schemes, how many of us on here talking about this really feel this way?

I don't think that there are very many of us that have that type of disposable income that we can collect and not care about prices, or financial return, pending trade/resale at a later date.

I'm sure that this is one of the main reasons many of us do not pull the trigger at JO, rather wait for the jersey to hit second hand market.

Why take a loss if you do not need to, ya know.

34swtns
04-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Price those lesser jerseys to sell, not sit. Make your money where you can on the high dollar/high demand items, and use that profit margin to work more with the common folk on the other 90% of your inventory.

Precisely. I know they'd get much more of my business using that strategy.

I'd be interested in knowing what the markup is on these items. You know on the "big boys" it's through the roof. On the little guys, it's still gotta be substantial.
So, the idea is don't go for the 100-200% markup on the small stuff so it'll actually sell in less than a year's time and make your big money on the big stuff. A 50% markup that's paid within 60 days beats the hell out of an anticipated 100% markup sitting on the shelf.

TriplexXxSports
04-04-2010, 10:21 AM
[quote=34swtns;195531]Precisely. I know they'd get much more of my business using that strategy.

Mine as well.

As I stated earlier, I own 3 JO pieces, but that doesn't mean that I got all 3 from JO, at their prices.

I have eyed a dozen or so jerseys on that site, but never pulled the trigger because the prices.

Like SportsCentury brought up - more power to the people that can afford that type of financial blow, and kudos to JO if they can get that kind of cash for them. But, I for one, wait for them in 2nd hand market, and 90% of the time that's where they end up...for hundreds, if not thousands, less.

sportscentury
04-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Don't you think that a car has more resale value than a game used item does.I just think that cars (and i mean like show cars like barret jackson type) hold thier resale values more than game used items do.What are your thoughts about it.I think you really can not compare them.I mean if i had a 57 chevy,i bet i could sell that for a great resale value and is never going to go down in value.Where the same game used item from the era no matter the player could go up and down in value and might not be as high as you paid for it.But i dont think you ever take a lost on the car.

Joba, are you feeling okay?

Jules9
04-04-2010, 11:07 AM
My comparison was more about how much a car depreciates when it's driven off the lot to how much a jersey depriciates when it leaves the dealers website. I collect mostly hockey jerseys so maybe it's different for football and baseball.

A 2010 Winter Classic hockey jersey originally priced at $2995 just sold on Ebay for $1300, before ebay fees. The buyer lost over 50% in less than 2 months.

I purchased a jersey, that was originally listed for $3995 on a dealers website. The jersey went to auction a year later and I bought it for $700. Over an 80% difference in price from what the dealer listed it for and the original purchaser may have purchased it for $1997.50 but I don't know that for sure.

Try buying a new car and see if you get your full purchase price when you go to sell it.

We don't know what the contract structure is between the teams and dealers but I'm sure the dealers bank on the "have to have it mentality" from collectors to sell items so they get there initial investment back.

Jules9
04-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I think you really can not compare them.I mean if i had a 57 chevy,i bet i could sell that for a great resale value and is never going to go down in value.Where the same game used item from the era no matter the player could go up and down in value and might not be as high as you paid for it.But i dont think you ever take a lost on the car.

I'm sure there are plenty of Barrett-Jackson collectors that wish they didn't spend $60-70,000 for the 57 chevys a few years ago, that are now selling for $30-40,000. But then again those people pretty much have disposable income

indyred
04-04-2010, 11:41 AM
It would be interesting to see if JO did some big annual sales like MeiGray does. How much older dead stock they could move out. Although just looking at the site they have done some price slashing.
I like business model MeiGray has. They never discount the current season stuff, until it has had at least a year to sell at full price. Do 25% sale off on one year old stuff. Then stuff that is 2 plus years old they either do buy 1 get 1 free of equal value, or just straight half off everything two plus years older. Run two, month long sales at different times.
Would be cool if JO did month April draft sale and another big sale in Holiday season. When people are buying for X-Mas presents. Could create a nice buzz. It also may even get people to buy stuff quicker and not wait for stuff to keep dropping. You always read where people wait on jersey to get discounted, but are beaten to the punch when sale starts and miss out. So maybe next time they pull trigger quicker instead of waiting for it to get cheaper.

skinsfan0521
04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
It would be interesting to see if JO did some big annual sales like MeiGray does. How much older dead stock they could move out. Although just looking at the site they have done some price slashing.
I like business model MeiGray has. They never discount the current season stuff, until it has had at least a year to sell at full price. Do 25% sale off on one year old stuff. Then stuff that is 2 plus years old they either do buy 1 get 1 free of equal value, or just straight half off everything two plus years older. Run two, month long sales at different times.
Would be cool if JO did month April draft sale and another big sale in Holiday season. When people are buying for X-Mas presents. Could create a nice buzz. It also may even get people to buy stuff quicker and not wait for stuff to keep dropping. You always read where people wait on jersey to get discounted, but are beaten to the punch when sale starts and miss out. So maybe next time they pull trigger quicker instead of waiting for it to get cheaper.
If they had anywhere near the same pricing structure as MeiGray does, I'd own several Redskins jerseys from JO. But when asking $400 for hacks that haven't played in years (and were barely "playing" when they were on the team), I'm not even remotely interested.

I've actually stopped checking the site because I just have so little interest at those prices.

jobathenut
04-04-2010, 11:23 PM
sportscentury-Yeah i am feeling alright.That's so nice of you.Thanks for asking.Are you feeling okay?
Joba, are you feeling okay?

Dewey2007
04-04-2010, 11:47 PM
If they had anywhere near the same pricing structure as MeiGray does, I'd own several Redskins jerseys from JO. But when asking $400 for hacks that haven't played in years (and were barely "playing" when they were on the team), I'm not even remotely interested.

I've actually stopped checking the site because I just have so little interest at those prices.

Make them a reasonable offer on one of these "hacks" jerseys and see what they say. JO is definitely open to listening to offers so give it a shot.

sportscentury
04-05-2010, 02:56 AM
sportscentury-Yeah i am feeling alright.That's so nice of you.Thanks for asking.Are you feeling okay?

Yes, thank you. Here's to our health.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php])

solarlottry
04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Make them a reasonable offer on one of these "hacks" jerseys and see what they say. JO is definitely open to listening to offers so give it a shot.

JO sports is having a sale at the end of this week. I spoke with them yesterday and was interested in some items but was told to hold off until the sale as i could save some money. Now that is the kind of customer service i am looking for! Jared personally answered all my questions and went thru each shirt i was interested in. I am going to buy a few shirts from them during this sale without question.

legaleagle92481
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
JO sports is having a sale at the end of this week. I spoke with them yesterday and was interested in some items but was told to hold off until the sale as i could save some money. Now that is the kind of customer service i am looking for! Jared personally answered all my questions and went thru each shirt i was interested in. I am going to buy a few shirts from them during this sale without question.

What are the details of the sale? If you are going to bring it up only fair to tell us the specfics.

indyred
04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
What are the details of the sale? If you are going to bring it up only fair to tell us the specfics.

Could still be working on the details. Will be interesting to see what it is.

Dewey2007
04-06-2010, 04:05 PM
This is what I received in an e-mail from JO Sports:

Redskins SALE we will be having this week. April 7th-11th
We are calling it a 2010 Pre Draft SALE.
2008 Jerseys 30% off
2007 and earlier Jerseys 40% off

skinsfan0521
04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Now that sounds like they will become reasonable... Now maybe we can combine this upcoming GUU members special that was mentioned earlier, and it would be twice as good. lol

I'm on their email list, but didn't get that email though. Are you on another list besides the one that you sign up for on their website?

Dewey2007
04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Now that sounds like they will become reasonable... Now maybe we can combine this upcoming GUU members special that was mentioned earlier, and it would be twice as good. lol

I'm on their email list, but didn't get that email though. Are you on another list besides the one that you sign up for on their website?

Not sure. I never received the e-mail that started this thread so maybe they have a couple of different mailing lists. If you've purchased from them in the past maybe they alert you to sales ahead of time?

solarlottry
04-06-2010, 08:57 PM

He told me they were having a sale which i was happy about as i was about to buy a shirt that day. he said i could save a few bucks by waiting a few days. i didnt get into any details with him and he didnt offer any. Why dont you call him yourself and ask.

JackHE
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Isn't it interesting that suddenly a "sale" pops up the same time as this thread is going and that the "sale" is very similar to a members suggestion on this thread.

skinsfan0521
04-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Isn't it interesting that suddenly a "sale" pops up the same time as this thread is going and that the "sale" is very similar to a members suggestion on this thread.
Hey, whatever works. haha

But, they don't actually have the prices listed on the website or anything. I sent them an email asking about it. There are some "sale" prices listed, but they're not 30% or 40%, they're just random numbers. So, I don't know if this is a "secret sale" or something? Also, is this sale off of the already marked down "sale" prices?

Anyway, I sent them an email asking about the details because with a 40% discount, all of the sudden I become much more interested in looking at their site. haha

legaleagle92481
04-07-2010, 10:18 AM
He told me they were having a sale which i was happy about as i was about to buy a shirt that day. he said i could save a few bucks by waiting a few days. i didnt get into any details with him and he didnt offer any. Why dont you call him yourself and ask.

i did and i got the impression that they are making it up as they go along, they are going to manually change the prices which in their words could take allday and not everything is on sale and the amount off varies based on the age of the item and the player. so i just wanted to see if you had better details.

solarlottry
04-07-2010, 10:34 AM
they were pretty vague about it as well. Just that they were having a sale thats it. No details whatsoever. I am sure that they want to move the older shirts on non star players especially with the draft and the 2010 season on the way. Lets see how long it will take for the sale prices to be out up.

JackHE
04-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Sale looks to be very limited - some skins, bears and vikes. Not close to what we were hoping for -something across the board.

JasonBanz
04-07-2010, 04:32 PM
One thing I did notice about a jersey JO is selling, is a Ricky Williams off NFL Auctions that went for around $1500 I believe is for sale for $2500. That is a $1000 mark up on one jersey! I believe in making prfit on a jersey, but nothing like that!

jhunt28
04-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Sale looks to be very limited - some skins, bears and vikes. Not close to what we were hoping for -something across the board.

Check again...looks like almost everything is at least 25% off

JasonBanz
04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Check again...looks like almost everything is at least 25% off

Look again, it seems like the sale is only for teams with more than 50 jerseys in their inventory. Bears, Vikings, Redskins, Jets, ect!

JackHE
04-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes, many more have been discounted than earlier this afternoon. When I got the email about the sale I just figured that everything was set and they had finished any mark downs. Evidently not.

34swtns
04-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Looks like some decent markdowns on their Bears stuff.
I like what I'm seeing, personally, and will be looking into making some purchases.

TriplexXxSports
04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
One thing I did notice about a jersey JO is selling, is a Ricky Williams off NFL Auctions that went for around $1500 I believe is for sale for $2500. That is a $1000 mark up on one jersey! I believe in making prfit on a jersey, but nothing like that!

How about the white '09 Cutler they just listed that they pulled from Hunt? The hammer price on that was just shy of $1600 (before fees and shipping). Now on sale at $2500.......

legaleagle92481
04-07-2010, 10:18 PM
How about the white '09 Cutler they just listed that they pulled from Hunt? The hammer price on that was just shy of $1600 (before fees and shipping). Now on sale at $2500.......

it sold for 1,800 and something actually.

TriplexXxSports
04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
it sold for 1,800 and something actually.

Yeah, just saw it sold. Didn't know if it was 'saled' or not.

solarlottry
04-08-2010, 12:04 AM
some good and some not so cool but acceptable with regards to the sale. i was able to buy the 49ers Spikes jersey for 30% off. The Vernon Davis, which although listed at 1225 and on sale, i was not able to buy online. i called Jared and was told that it was not supposed to be on sale and could have it at full price. I thought that was a bit unfair as it was listed as both on sale and with a 1225 price. We compromised at 1500 so a so-so win for us both. The rest of the 49ers shirts (all of them) are 30% off which is a pretty good deal. May buy some more over the next few days if they are still available. At least i was able to get a discount on the VD but was a little disappointed that it was listed as on sale but really not on sale. I hope this sale will carry over to next season.

zooat2
04-08-2010, 08:35 AM
-They RAISED the prices on some of the jerseys and then claim they are on sale!! What kind of horse crap is that??????????????????????????????????

- For example: You say the original price on a Redskin Lloyd jersey is $400 and the sale price is $240...Dude, BEFORE the sale the list price was $240!!!!! How is that a sale?????? What the hell are you doing??

legaleagle92481
04-08-2010, 09:26 AM
-They RAISED the prices on some of the jerseys and then claim they are on sale!! What kind of horse crap is that??????????????????????????????????

- For example: You say the original price on a Redskin Lloyd jersey is $400 and the sale price is $240...Dude, BEFORE the sale the list price was $240!!!!! How is that a sale?????? What the hell are you doing??

With the sale, they have Sharper, Holt, Hutchinson, Pace, Dawkins, Faneca and Kevin Williams all future hall of famers selling for between 700-900 something. I think any compliants about their prices right now are beyond absurd. $240 is not much for a jersey at all how cheap can you possibly want it? Even on NFL Auctions most common players go between 200 and 300, some much more than that. In the store an authentic model jersey of any player goes for a couple of hundred bucks and that is coming off an assembly line rather than out of the locker room.

JackHE
04-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Before we throw too many bouquets let's see 1) how long the sale lasts and 2) what the prices will go back to afterward.

Yes, there are some good deals to be had with the sale but there are also a lot of jerseys still way overpriced.

legaleagle92481
04-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Before we throw too many bouquets let's see 1) how long the sale lasts and 2) what the prices will go back to afterward.

Yes, there are some good deals to be had with the sale but there are also a lot of jerseys still way overpriced.

they said it runs until sunday.

zooat2
04-08-2010, 10:09 AM
With the sale, they have Sharper, Holt, Hutchinson, Pace, Dawkins, Faneca and Kevin Williams all future hall of famers selling for between 700-900 something. I think any compliants about their prices right now are beyond absurd. $240 is not much for a jersey at all how cheap can you possibly want it? Even on NFL Auctions most common players go between 200 and 300, some much more than that. In the store an authentic model jersey of any player goes for a couple of hundred bucks and that is coming off an assembly line rather than out of the locker room.

- I am aware of all of the above...but its still NOT A SALE! I have purchased $750 jerseys, $250 jerseys, etc....it doesnt matter, the point here is that its BS because its not a sale on that particular jersey..

zooat2
04-08-2010, 10:12 AM

- I also think you are missing my point here...if you list the jersey yesterday morning for $240, mark it up to $400 and then say the SALE price is $240, isnt that alittle bit BS??

legaleagle92481
04-08-2010, 10:46 AM
- I am aware of all of the above...but its still NOT A SALE! I have purchased $750 jerseys, $250 jerseys, etc....it doesnt matter, the point here is that its BS because its not a sale on that particular jersey..

They never said every jersey was on sale on the site and I think it is nitpicking for people to go through the site and find the jersey of a scrub who has not played on the team in over two years and use it to make it as if JO is having a fake sale. I check their site several times a day and buy many jerseys from them and on most jerseys their prices are 25% or more lower than they were on Tuesday, even on superstar jerseys. My point was they are selling some very good jerseys at some very attractive prices as part of this sale.

zooat2
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
They never said every jersey was on sale on the site and I think it is nitpicking for people to go through the site and find the jersey of a scrub who has not played on the team in over two years and use it to make it as if JO is having a fake sale. I check their site several times a day and buy many jerseys from them and on most jerseys their prices are 25% or more lower than they were on Tuesday, even on superstar jerseys. My point was they are selling some very good jerseys at some very attractive prices as part of this sale.

-Dude, what are you not understanding? I said before that I agree with ALL of your points and again I agree with you that they have some good jerseys on sale. Yes, they never said EVERY jersey was on sale, but why SAY a jersey is on sale when clearly its not??? Scrub or not, it shouldnt matter donkey balls!...

- Nitpicking? what happens if some small time collector that can only max out at $250 and is hoping for a sale, looks on the site and sees something totally different then what he was expecting? Your gonna call him a nitpicker?

legaleagle92481
04-08-2010, 11:24 AM
-Dude, what are you not understanding? I said before that I agree with ALL of your points and again I agree with you that they have some good jerseys on sale. Yes, they never said EVERY jersey was on sale, but why SAY a jersey is on sale when clearly its not??? Scrub or not, it shouldnt matter donkey balls!...

- Nitpicking? what happens if some small time collector that can only max out at $250 and is hoping for a sale, looks on the site and sees something totally different then what he was expecting? Your gonna call him a nitpicker?

These are luxury items if the small time collector cannot afford it then so be it, if someone does not have a spare $240 then the last thing he should be thinking about is GU jerseys. Jo gives you a week to pay via paypal and if you pay with a credit card on there you have like a month to pay it off before the credit card company starts charging you interest so if such collector put like $40 a week aside he would have enough to pay for the jersey without having to pay interest.

legaleagle92481
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM

I just checked they have 3 B. lloyd's going for $180 each so idk what you are talking about.

zooat2
04-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I just checked they have 3 B. lloyd's going for $180 each so idk what you are talking about.

- Yea, they just changed it!

zooat2
04-08-2010, 11:32 AM
These are luxury items if the small time collector cannot afford it then so be it, if someone does not have a spare $240 then the last thing he should be thinking about is GU jerseys. Jo gives you a week to pay via paypal and if you pay with a credit card on there you have like a month to pay it off before the credit card company starts charging you interest so if such collector put like $40 a week aside he would have enough to pay for the jersey without having to pay interest.

- Again, I agree....by why dont you see mypoint that its bad business doing what they did? No matter if its Game used dealing or car dealing

legaleagle92481
04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
- Again, I agree....by why dont you see mypoint that its bad business doing what they did? No matter if its Game used dealing or car dealing

They manually updated all the prices so they probably just made a mistake. I doubt there was any bad intent on their part as it appears to have been an islolated case. It would be different if that was the case with many of the jerseys. This sale came together quickly and evolved alot on Tuesday I called and was quoted higher sale prices than they ended up running and I was told certain jerseys were excluded that ended up being included including one that if I had known was going to be the price it was I would have bought but someone else beat me to it.

mbenga28
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
a couple of months ago, there was a player's gloves who I'd been wanting to get but at the time I didn't have the money. I finally had the funds at around the same time the team was in the playoffs and when I went back to JO's site to order them I was intrigued to see the exact same gloves being twice the price I saw earlier.

legaleagle92481
04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
a couple of months ago, there was a player's gloves who I'd been wanting to get but at the time I didn't have the money. I finally had the funds at around the same time the team was in the playoffs and when I went back to JO's site to order them I was intrigued to see the exact same gloves being twice the price I saw earlier.

They jacked up alot of prices on stuff around the playoffs I know they did that with the Jets and probably with some of the Vikes as well. But then the demand was so high it was not a bad business practice. They were selling Mangold jerseys for preorder at a grand they didn't sell out so they posted them on the site and ended up getting $1,250 each for three of them. Revis they were preordering at $1,750 and then in playoff time they sold one for $2,250.

Mattapan03
04-08-2010, 12:00 PM
some good and some not so cool but acceptable with regards to the sale. i was able to buy the 49ers Spikes jersey for 30% off. The Vernon Davis, which although listed at 1225 and on sale, i was not able to buy online. i called Jared and was told that it was not supposed to be on sale and could have it at full price. I thought that was a bit unfair as it was listed as both on sale and with a 1225 price. We compromised at 1500 so a so-so win for us both. The rest of the 49ers shirts (all of them) are 30% off which is a pretty good deal. May buy some more over the next few days if they are still available. At least i was able to get a discount on the VD but was a little disappointed that it was listed as on sale but really not on sale. I hope this sale will carry over to next season.

The Spikes and Davis jersey's definetly look like they have wear, but the other ones Im not so sure about.

JackHE
04-08-2010, 12:37 PM
The lack of wear on several jerseys has definitely kept me from pulling the trigger on a few jerseys as well as a few mislabeling questions.

indyred
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Some pretty good deals now. Vikings Throwbacks vs Bears have some very good prices.

skinsfan0521
04-08-2010, 01:17 PM
It wasn't just the Brandon Lloyd jersey that they had on "sale" before, then instead of taking the extra sale price off of that, they just marked it back up to the original and took it back to what it was before.

If the 40% came off of the Phillip Daniels jersey (redskins) price that was listed on there before, I was going to buy it. Instead, they marked it back up to the original price, then discounted it again and it ended up being $5 more than it was before the supposed sale.

And legaleagle92481 - the point isn't about who has a 'spare' $250. I can afford the price of any of the Redskins jerseys w/o a problem, that's so far off from the point. Just because I can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a jersey, doesn't mean that the particular jersey is worth it. The only jersey on there that I even think may be worth the price they're asking is the Cooley for like $700 something. Other than that, they're all overpriced and not worth the price they're asking.

indyred
04-08-2010, 01:32 PM
For any Bears fans their is sweet match on US Presswire on Davis jersey.
http://www.josportsco.com/photos/2967_1.jpg http://uspresswire.com/image/thumb/600-600/4158278.jpg

TriplexXxSports
04-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Matched or unmatched - Kellen Davis, who has only caught 1 pass for 11 yards in his career, is not worth the $375 price tag.

TriplexXxSports
04-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Matched or unmatched - Kellen Davis, who has only caught 1 pass for 11 yards in his career, is not worth the $375 price tag.

I mis-spoke about the stats (he had a couple more), but either way, not worth the price.

TriplexXxSports
04-08-2010, 02:18 PM
I would like to add that I highly commend JO for what they are doing. I greatly appreciate the fact that they are taking some of the thoughts of the customers and putting them into action. That shows alot of character about the type of business they run over there, and I wish them nothing but the best.

With that being said, the only problem that I see (which goes back to the pricing issue discussed earlier in this thread) is since their original prices were set so HIGH, that even with a 30%-40% off sale, the prices are still too high on the majority of their items.

josportsco
04-08-2010, 02:39 PM
The sale is going GREAT!! Thank you for all the comments.
As for the B. Lloyd if you cant afford the $180 just give us a call or email and ask about it. Doesn't get you very far to complain on here if you dont call us.
skinsfan- again if you dont like the price just email or call us to discuss. It is that simple.

Want to thank every customer in our database that have purchased and/or called in to discuss the sale.

Tyrcha
04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
http://www.josportsco.com/photos/2967_1.jpg http://uspresswire.com/image/thumb/600-600/4158278.jpg
I was eying this one up, but ended up settling on the Marcus Harrison home (used vs. Lions) jersey. That Jamar Williams home vs. the Packers jersey was another one that I thought was pretty cool...being that I'm a Bears fan who hates the Packers and lives in Wisconsin. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

zooat2
04-08-2010, 03:04 PM
It wasn't just the Brandon Lloyd jersey that they had on "sale" before, then instead of taking the extra sale price off of that, they just marked it back up to the original and took it back to what it was before.

If the 40% came off of the Phillip Daniels jersey (redskins) price that was listed on there before, I was going to buy it. Instead, they marked it back up to the original price, then discounted it again and it ended up being $5 more than it was before the supposed sale.

And legaleagle92481 - the point isn't about who has a 'spare' $250. I can afford the price of any of the Redskins jerseys w/o a problem, that's so far off from the point. Just because I can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a jersey, doesn't mean that the particular jersey is worth it. The only jersey on there that I even think may be worth the price they're asking is the Cooley for like $700 something. Other than that, they're all overpriced and not worth the price they're asking.

- AMEN brudda!! FINALLY someone who saw exactly what I saw...

billie-boy
04-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Seriously, JO Sports, why don't you just throw in the towel, and give into collectors like JackHE and zooat2. They are the wave of the future....

Forget about the fact that legaleagle92481 has it exactly right when he says the LAST thing anyone who can't spare $240 should be thinking about is a game used jersey. Just fold your hand, open up a fold-out table at the National, and put a $5.00 "GRAB-n-GO" sale on the stuff for Christ's sake.

Think of the tax write-offs you'll have for the forseeable future?? And then you won't have to hear these guys continually come at you saying that you're STILL charging too much!

Now go get after that Detroit Lions contract. I hear their items have gotten up $19.95 a game used jersey!!! My GOD the money you'll make....

solarlottry
04-09-2010, 02:41 AM
The Spikes and Davis jersey's definetly look like they have wear, but the other ones Im not so sure about.

I know what you mean. I asked about all the 49ers shirts with regards to wear and those 2 had the most. it is a bit odd that the others only show significant number puckering and light wear. The issue may be that the shirts were only worn for one game each although the shirts i got from NFL auctions which were worn in one game had tons of use.

Mattapan03
04-09-2010, 06:21 AM
I know what you mean. I asked about all the 49ers shirts with regards to wear and those 2 had the most. it is a bit odd that the others only show significant number puckering and light wear. The issue may be that the shirts were only worn for one game each although the shirts i got from NFL auctions which were worn in one game had tons of use.

From the naked eye, the 49ers jerseys look to have just been put through the wash. Otherwise they look pristine. JO is pretty good about showing pictures of the jersey's that have game wear on them

zooat2
04-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Seriously, JO Sports, why don't you just throw in the towel, and give into collectors like JackHE and zooat2. They are the wave of the future....

Forget about the fact that legaleagle92481 has it exactly right when he says the LAST thing anyone who can't spare $240 should be thinking about is a game used jersey. Just fold your hand, open up a fold-out table at the National, and put a $5.00 "GRAB-n-GO" sale on the stuff for Christ's sake.

Think of the tax write-offs you'll have for the forseeable future?? And then you won't have to hear these guys continually come at you saying that you're STILL charging too much!

Now go get after that Detroit Lions contract. I hear their items have gotten up $19.95 a game used jersey!!! My GOD the money you'll make....

- You totally missed my point.

skinsfan0521
04-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Thanks for your very insightful 4th post, it was great...

But, again, you aren't getting the point... This isn't an "I can afford more than you can" argument... it's about what they're worth. Again, I can afford to buy any of the Redskins jerseys, but to me, they're not worth it. Doesn't mean that they aren't worth it to anybody, just to me (and obviously most collectors or they would be all gone by now).

Just because you may be able to afford spending $1,000 on a car wash doesn't mean that you should. You should spend the $3 it's actually worth.

legaleagle92481
04-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your very insightful 4th post, it was great...

But, again, you aren't getting the point... This isn't an "I can afford more than you can" argument... it's about what they're worth. Again, I can afford to buy any of the Redskins jerseys, but to me, they're not worth it. Doesn't mean that they aren't worth it to anybody, just to me (and obviously most collectors or they would be all gone by now).

Just because you may be able to afford spending $1,000 on a car wash doesn't mean that you should. You should spend the $3 it's actually worth.

They are selling Shawn Springs who has been to the probowl for 382 bucks, Andre Carter who has been to multiple probowls for 300 bucks, Jon Jansen who was one of best right tackles in the league and was a second team allpro for 270, Chris Samuels who will get hall of fame votes for slightly over 500, Fred smoot for 360, phillip daniels for 350, fabini for 350, randy thomas for 350, london fletcher one of best linebackers of last decade for 770. Moss is only slightly over a grand. These are very reasonable prices. On nfl auctions where the bidders set the market a common player or semistar jersey typically sells between 300 and 700.

dcgreg25
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
There has been some interesting information and insights and I believe everyone has had an opportunity to make their point. The topic has shifted a bit from JO adding teams to their current sale and pricing structure. In an effort to keep this from deteriorating into personal attacks, we are going to go ahead and lock the thread.