PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to the National?

legaleagle92481
03-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Is anyone going to this year's National in Baltimore? I am going and it is my first one. Is there alot of GU stuff or is it mostly autographs?

MJB14
03-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm going and it will be my first as well.

dcgreg25
03-26-2010, 11:00 AM
I live about 30 minutes outside of Baltimore so I will be there.

I think its worthwhile to go...usually a ton of cards and autographs and not too many GU items but there are a few dealers that show up. Its a good place to connect with other collectors. Last year in Cleveland, I connected with a fellow collector and picked up six or seven great GU Indians jerseys that I never would have found otherwise so it was a good trip.

skinsfan0521
03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
When I was more interested in card collecting, I always wanted to go, but now I'm just not that interested. So, I've never been, but may go someday still.

BTW... if you're going and you happen to see any Chris Snee low #'d cards (#/25 or less), I'd be interested in them. If you'd like to look, you can email me and I can let you know which sets he has these cards in... I don't want to waste space on this thread with it.

-Brian
bharasymczuk@gmail.com

TNTtoys
03-26-2010, 01:21 PM
I will be going to the National this year and may be riding down with 2 other forum members too. It's only a 3-hour drive from me.

geoff
03-26-2010, 02:42 PM
I am also going And looking forward to my 1st National.All of us that are going should meet up sometime during it.I will be there for A few Days for sure as I live about 20 Minutes out of Downtown Baltimore.

geof631@yahoo.com

Thanks
Geoff

3arod13
03-26-2010, 03:44 PM
I would love to go. Live in Virginia. When is it?

Regards, Tony

sox83cubs84
03-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Personally, I've found the National to be a highly overrated commodity these days. IMHO, too many dealers set up these days not because they make money hand over fist, or even get to hang out with rarely seen friends (the one thing I'd go for if my health was better), but because their egos make them do it. They fear that they'll be seen as a second or third-string hobby dealer if they're not out there every year. Personally, stretching my health limits is not worth the ego boost.

Dave M.
Chicago area

TNTtoys
03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
... or even get to hang out with rarely seen friends (the one thing I'd go for if my health was better) ...

And this is the main reason why I will be going this year. I truly enjoyed meeting all of you guys at the last one!

I know that the convention is not flooded with game used memorabilia... hell, if game used made up even 5% of the last one I went to, that would be a high estimate! But it's all about enjoying the hobby and those who share it with you.

But if you're an autograph or card collector, you would probably have a different answer than mine!!!

orioles03
03-26-2010, 04:44 PM
i live 5 min away so count me in

BergerKing22784
03-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I will be there the first day or two... The Football HOF inductions are that weekend and I have to see Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice go into the HOF so I will be missing out on the weekend experience of the National

Fnazxc0114
03-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I got one of my holy grails at last years national.There were some guys selling old baltimore and senators stuff at last years national. There was game used there but i went to start a 53 topps set. I happened upon a hamilton reds game used jersey that i bought. I went last year for the first time and plan on making it a yearly trip. Youd be surprised of the scope of different types of memorabilia that is there. Hopefully this year ill be able to round up the rest of the cards to finish the set.

dcrules01
03-26-2010, 11:05 PM
It will be my 1st one I will be going with 2 other members on the board and looking forward to the trip and meeting some members.

3arod13
03-27-2010, 04:58 AM
I would love to go. Live in Virginia. When is it?

Regards, Tony

Hello! Hello! When is it?

Regards, Tony

skyking26
03-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Is anyone going to this year's National in Baltimore? I am going and it is my first one. Is there alot of GU stuff or is it mostly autographs?
I attend if it is in Cleveland or Chicago (I'm in MI). It is worth attending if not only for a day of entertainment. I have attended dozens, and have learned not to get my hopes up. From a game used perspective...there is virtually NONE. You'll see more on ebay and here than you will at the National. Big disappointment...

legaleagle92481
03-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Hello! Hello! When is it?

Regards, Tony

august 4-8 in baltimore maryland.

3arod13
03-27-2010, 02:06 PM
august 4-8 in baltimore maryland.

Thank you!!!!!!

Regards, Tony

Mat2786@aol.com
03-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I was just wondering if the guys who run the forum ever thought about getting there own booth at the National. They could get the forum more known and get there auction known. They could even consign and sell some game used items that forum members might want to sell. Just an idea.

Matt

Fnazxc0114
03-28-2010, 10:54 PM
They had a booth last year.

ironmanfan
03-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I'll be sitting with Cal (usually on his right) at his public signing on the 7th (Saturday) if anyone wants to swing bye to say hello

Kid4hof03
03-29-2010, 05:58 PM
I'll be there, not sure which days yet. I would love to meet some of you guys.

Bill it would be great to meet you, have admired the posts of your collection on this board as well as CU.

Abe

ironmanfan
03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
I'll be there, not sure which days yet. I would love to meet some of you guys.

Bill it would be great to meet you, have admired the posts of your collection on this board as well as CU.

Abe

Abe:

Would love to meet you as well....let's be sure to hook up at some point!

Bill

Joeycola
04-02-2010, 03:42 PM
I will be attending my 1st national also. The national sounds similar to the shows here in Chicago as not many game used items but more so autograph & cards.

Basketball-collector
04-07-2010, 10:35 AM
As one who goes every year, I really enjoy the social aspects of the show ie meeting other collectors, dealers, etc,...) as much as the show itself. I may or may not try to coordinate a dinner get-together this year.

DonFan23
07-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Looks like I may be heading down on Friday - a quick 1 day stay only.

dcgreg25
07-28-2010, 03:05 PM
I am going for a couple days- not sure which ones yet but the convention center is only a half hour from my house.

BaseballGM
07-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm in for Saturday. Going to the O's game Friday night.

Basketball-collector
07-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I can't wait. I will be there Wed - Sat. I'll stop by to see Chris C. and will give him a http://forum.mydyingbride.org/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

geoff
07-28-2010, 11:46 PM
I will be there on Thursday And Friday And am looking forward to my 1st National.I might bring some Items to Sell And Trade if I can.I will be looking for Orioles Items while I am at The National among other things.I will stop by The Game Used Forum Booth And say Hi.

geof631@yahoo.com

Thanks
Geoff

sportscentury
07-29-2010, 09:26 AM
I am going to try to get there. Where will the GUU booth be located? Have never been to a National before, but heard it is a cool experience (and also a zoo).

allstarsplus
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I am going to try to get there. Where will the GUU booth be located? Have never been to a National before, but heard it is a cool experience (and also a zoo).

I may be there Thursday through Sunday displaying sports art at a dealer's table. Don't have all the details yet but should have them on Monday (nothing like last minute).

Fnazxc0114
07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
something i did last year was go thurs night for the late opening. I used that time to lay out where i wanted to go over the next two days. Seemed like having a plan helped me get through all the boothes. I picked up one of my favorite g/u items i own at the national, so there is stuff out there but you have to look for it.

gingi79
07-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Now I realize the Convention scene (except MeiGray) isn't what it once was regarding game worns but if anyone is going to The National in Baltimore next weekend please PM or email me if you want to meet up. (gingi79@aol.com)

Also going to the Baltimore/Chicago game Sunday, always interested in taking in the game with jersey collectors. Don't have tix yet, looking forward to meeting some awesome members, having a few brews and talking jerseys.

suave1477
07-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I will be there for my first time with member TnToys

allstarsplus
08-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I will be sitting at the Major League Lacrosse booth on Saturday and Sunday so please stop by and say Hi!

TNTtoys
08-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I will be there for my first time with member TnToys

We'll be there on Thursday & Friday and have tickets to the Orioles/Angels game that Thursday night. Looking forward to this trip!!!

Btw, if any forum members are there on those 2 days, it would be great to catch up. No idea how we can plan this one, but open to suggestions.

TNTtoys
08-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Guys,

Jason (suave) and I will be at the National today. If you spot either us, please feel free to come up to us and say hi!

I'll be wearing a red Team USA BP (2006 WBC) with GRIFFEY and #3 on the back.

Jason will be in an orange 2007 American League All-Star game jersey with POSADA and #20 on the back.

Given we're both in loud colors, we might be easy to spot.

Nick

legaleagle92481
08-05-2010, 10:32 AM
i was going to go but i was just there a few weeks ago and im no longer adding items to my collection so i decided not to. maybe next year just to experience it.

joelsabi
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I have gone to every National that has been in the West Coast since the 80's. I may need to make arrangement next year to travel to the National next year as there hasn't been one in Anaheim in a long time and I would like to attend the PSA Registry Luncheon. It would also be nice to meet some game used members and shoot the breeze.

Happy Hunting for those going this year.

BergerKing22784
08-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Guys,

Jason (suave) and I will be at the National today. If you spot either us, please feel free to come up to us and say hi!

Jason will be in an orange 2007 American League All-Star game jersey with POSADA and #20 on the back.

Nick

I saw you Nick.... I had a 2006 wbc jersey made with my own name on the back that i was actually going to wear today and when I saw a dude wearing one I was wondering if they had done the same and I saw it was a Griffey... I was wearing a UNC hat and UNC blue stripped polo. I walked by u a few times didnt know it was someone from the GU forum woulda said something.

TNTtoys
08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Take 2...

After yesterday's experiment didn't work (nobody from the forum recognized our jerseys and approached us), we are not about to give up...

Today we will both be wearing GREEN St Patricks Day Mets jerseys. Hopefully we will stand out like a couple of sore thumbs!

metsbats
08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Guys,

Nick

Ha!

Youse New Yawkers will stick out like sore thumbs!

geoff
08-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I saw Jason in The Green Uniform And it was Nice to meet And Talk with you Nick And Jason A few different Times during The Day.Both of you Guys were A Pleasure to Talk Sports And Game Used Items.The Show Today I did not feel Rushed at all like Thursday to look at everything.I can't go The Rest of The Weekend but had A Blast During The 2 Days I was there And would Love to do it again.Picked up some Nice Items as well but Lost out on Selling My Items I had for Sale.Oh well I did not care because of The Fun that I had at The Show.Bill it was Nice Talking And seeing you once again as always.Everyone enjoy The rest of The National that are going over The Weekend.I will always remember these 2 Days Forever.

Thanks
Geoff

geof631@yahoo.com

geoff
08-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Mark it was also really nice to see you And Talk to you once again for A few Minutes.Like I said to you Today at The Show email me in A Month And see if I am ready to move The Jones Bat or not.

Thanks
Geoff

DonFan23
08-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Will be roaming the aisles with my son on Saturday, both in Yankees gear. Hope to see some of you there.

R.J.

sox83cubs84
08-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Any sign of Lou Lampson on the premises?

Dave Miedema

geoff
08-08-2010, 02:43 AM
We were looking for Lampson on Thursday And Friday at his Booth but did not see him at all.

RJB44
08-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Ran into TNToys and Sauve on Friday at Hartel Sports booth, where I was scouting for older knits .

suave1477
08-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Geoff, Orioles, and RJBB it was a pleasure meeting you guys and anyone else me and TnT met. I apologize if I left anyones name out just afer a while you get overwhelmed and walking around all day you get tired and everything becomes one big blur.

But I enjoyed the show as there was a bit more game used items than I expected especially the seller with the game used bats.

Tnt and I also went to an Orioles game and had seats right behind the dug out that was a blast.