PDA

View Full Version : Storing & Preserving Game Used Jerseys

dcgreg25
03-25-2010, 03:41 PM
In the past, I never gave much thought to preservation of my jerseys. My standard method for storing jerseys included placing them in large zip-lock bags and placing these bags in large plastic bins away from the sunlight. One day, while discussing this “storage method” with my wife, a museum exhibit designer, she schooled me in some basics regarding the proper care and preservation of textiles/jerseys. This caused me to dig a little deeper and evaluate how I was storing my jerseys.

Artifact conservation and preservation is a vast field and I am far from an expert. However from the limited research I have conducted, there are some common sense basics I have learned and applied to my collection. Most of the jerseys in my collection are modern-era (1980-present) but as they age, I wanted to make sure I was taking proper care of them. What follows is a brief primer on taking care of your game used jerseys to maximize their lifespan. This article may be overkill for many. However, given the value of some of the jerseys owned by members of this site, I figured I would share what I have learned.

Light
Natural light is the most common enemy of jerseys that are being displayed. One of the basics of preservation is to avoid displaying any items near windows that received direct sunlight. Filters can be applied to windows and/or UV glass used to protect the items but this is one of the single most important elements in preservation. While natural light is the most destructive, fluorescent and halogen lights can also produce large amounts of damaging UV radiation. There are several filters available online and at some hardware stores that can be placed on the bulbs to reduce the amount of UV exposure to jerseys that are being displayed.

Temperature
There are two critical components related to temperature. Ideally temperatures should be kept around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. While a variance of a few degrees is not significant, it is best to avoid storing jerseys in areas where the temperature fluctuates significantly which can cause stress on the material. This is typically not a problem for collectors storing their jerseys in their homes.

Humidity
Like temperature, humidity should be kept as constant as possible. A relative humidity level of 50% provides fabrics like wool the needed moisture to flex and breathe while not being so high as to increase the risk of mold.

Insects
Insects are not as much of a concern as long as the storage area is kept neat and clean and is not located near food sources, etc. However, periodic inspection of jerseys for evidence of insects should be conducted to minimize the potential for issues.

Handling
Because of the natural oils and acids in our skin cloth gloves should be worn when handling jerseys. This may seem like overkill for the purposes of game used jerseys but in the long run it will help to preserve them. If you choose not to take this precaution, limiting the amount of handling, as well as washing your hands before handling the jerseys, can go a long way.

Storage Methods
There are three generally accepted forms of storage for textiles flat, rolled and hanging.

From a conservation standpoint, flat storage is optimal as it provides a constant support for the jersey while minimizing stress on the fabric. Due to space restrictions for private collectors, this is often not practical. If jerseys are to be folded, acid-free tissue paper should be used in the folds to minimize any damage by folding or creases in the jersey. Even with this precaution, folded jerseys should be refolded from time to time to evenly distribute the stress caused by the folds.

Rolled storage involves placing a jersey on an acid free or fabric-covered tube and rolling it. This method is not as ideal as flat storage but minimizes creases, etc. by eliminating folding of the jersey. Again, the practicality of this approach is challenging as it provides limited access to the item and unique challenges in storing a large number of jerseys.

In my opinion, the most practical method for practical conservation and storage I have found utilizes folding the jerseys and storing them in acid-free corrugated cardboard boxes with acid-free tissue paper. These boxes and papers are widely available on the internet from a number of archival sources. They can be relatively expensive but I have found some that offer what are referred to as “deep lids” which are basically shallow boxes approximately 3-4 inches deep and come in a variety of sizes. The jerseys should be folded and wrapped in the tissue paper with tissue paper used to also support the folds avoiding any sharp creases.

If anyone is interested, I have a few sites that I have purchased boxes and other supplies from that I would recommend. Feel free to email me if you are interested.

Hanging storage is another option which is often utilized by collectors. Hanging storage saves space but also presents its own unique challenges. First and foremost, the material used in the hanger is critical. Wood hangers often have a high acidity that can discolor or damage jerseys while metal hangers can rust and also damage jerseys. Generally, the preferred hanging method for storage is via plastic hangers padded to simulate human shoulders minimizing the stress placed on the jersey. Once placed on hangers, jerseys should be covered in plastic or cloth to provide protection while still allowing the jersey to breathe. Care should be taken in the materials that are used in the hangers, padding as well as to cover the jerseys to ensure they will not damage the jerseys. There are many types of fabric available via the internet to cover jerseys while still allowing them to breathe.

Do not store jerseys in plastic bags as the bags as they do not allow the jersey to breathe and are often unstable giving off gasses that can damage a jersey over time resulting in spotting and discoloration.

Storage location is also important. It is often preferable to store items (or near) the main living area of the home. Basements often have temperature and humidity issues as well as increased potential for insects while attics have dramatic temperature fluctuations.

The information above is culled from a variety of sources and research. While I am not a professional in this field and make no guarantees as to the preservation methods suggested, I thought the information might be helpful to share and cause other collectors to consider their methods. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound cure.

Links
There are dozens of resources out there dedicated to the preservation of textiles. Below are a few useful links I found that discuss the proper conservation and/or display of textiles.

The Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute has a useful page for handling of textiles available here: http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/handletex.html (http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/handletex.html)

The National Park Service has an interesting article on methods for properly padding hangers to minimize any damage/stress on historical artifacts:
http://www.nps.gov/history/museum/publications/conserveogram/04-05.pdf (http://www.nps.gov/history/museum/publications/conserveogram/04-05.pdf)

Below is a useful article on storing antique textiles at home:
http://www.smithsonian.org/encyclopedia_si//nmah/antqtext.htm (http://www.smithsonian.org/encyclopedia_si/nmah/antqtext.htm)

Another article on home textile preservation and care:
http://www.textilemuseum.org/care/brochures/guidelines.htm (http://www.textilemuseum.org/care/brochures/guidelines.htm)

I would be interested to hear what steps others take to preserve their collection.

sportscentury
03-25-2010, 05:41 PM
This is quite helpful. Thanks for your good work. I do think, though, that this should be in the Game Used Memorabilia section. It is more appropriate for that section because it has to do with game used memorabilia and it will get more traffic (and therefore be more likely to help more collectors/GUU members). Thank you again. I am already rethinking some of my storage practices.

dcgreg25
03-25-2010, 06:17 PM
This is quite helpful. Thanks for your good work. I do think, though, that this should be in the Game Used Memorabilia section. It is more appropriate for that section because it has to do with game used memorabilia and it will get more traffic (and therefore be more likely to help more collectors/GUU members). Thank you again. I am already rethinking some of my storage practices.

Thanks for the compliment, glad you found it helpful. I will move it over to the game used memorabilia section.

TriplexXxSports
03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Good read. Cool info.

legaleagle92481
03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Greg what is an acid free noncorrugated box? can you give an example. or post a pic of one.this is a great article it has opened my eyes as i have been storing my items in plastic bags in a plastic bin and now i want to preserve them.

TriplexXxSports
03-29-2010, 05:25 AM
A good example of what he is talking about is card boxes. The long, slim ones, ya know, that people store sports cards in.

Here's a quick visual aid - http://www.familyarchives.com/products/Artifact-%252d-Large.html - to kinda give you an idea.

dcgreg25
03-29-2010, 08:18 AM
http://www.familyarchives.com/products/Textile-%252d-Deep-Lid.html

Those are the boxes I have been trying out. As far as your question on acid-free anything that touches your jerseys ideally should be acid-free and lignin-free. All archival companies selling boxes should label their boxes as such. The presence of acid and/or lignin in your storage boxes, etc. can damage or discolor your jersey over time.

solarlottry
03-31-2010, 03:49 PM
what size of these boxxes are you using?

dcgreg25
04-02-2010, 08:17 AM
what size of these boxxes are you using?

I have been using both 24.5 x 20.5 x 3" and 31 x 23 x 3". I have been using primarily the larger lids to minimize the amount of folds in the jersey.

mlupo
02-17-2011, 06:00 PM
I noticed you didn't have anything to say about framing jerseys(either positive or negative). Light would obviously be able to get in, but it seems like if you used UV glass along with keeping it away from windows and using an acid free matt/frame that would cover most of what you mentioned, including flat storage and avoiding folds. Clearly framed jerseys that are laid flat and not folded take up a lot of space and money, but is this a good option? I just love the way they look. I would love to hear your input.

dcgreg25
02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
I noticed you didn't have anything to say about framing jerseys(either positive or negative). Light would obviously be able to get in, but it seems like if you used UV glass along with keeping it away from windows and using an acid free matt/frame that would cover most of what you mentioned, including flat storage and avoiding folds. Clearly framed jerseys that are laid flat and not folded take up a lot of space and money, but is this a good option? I just love the way they look. I would love to hear your input.

In my mind, framing is ok but presents a couple concerns. First it is important to use UV glass and acid free matting. From a pure conservation standpoint you should rotate your displayed jerseys anyway as the UV glass is not 100%. The other serious concern I have with framing is how the jerseys are secured to the matting. Some frame shops use adhesives, some pin and some use other methods. IMHO pinning is the best but still can present issues with folds in the jersey and stretching the fabric.

While there are concerns with framing, I have some of my jerseys framed because I like how they look in the frames. I think if it is done for a relatively short time period (a few years) and done right the damage is not significant relative to a jersey. Hope this helps. Again, just my opinion based on the general research I did.

chd49er
03-13-2011, 06:30 PM
As we all know, how you store your game used jerseys over time has a significant impact on the shelf life and overall possible deterioration of the jersey. There are many different ways of storage in order to preserve the life of your jersey.

Now days we are seeing and collecting a lot more unwashed items. Knowing that exposure to certain elements in many cases can cause permanent harm to your item over time, one would assume that with all of the dirt, sweat, grass, blood and paint stains on jerseys now days, this would cause deterioration and aging at an accelerated rate.

I do not know if there is a way to neutralize the affects of long term exposure to these elements that we have not really had much of a concern about until more recent collecting.

Any and all feedback would be great if someone has the answers.

Thanks,
Clay
cdubois@carolina.rr.com
LOOKING FOR ALL 1995 49ER GAMERS!!!!

mad87man
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Honestly you here so much i don't know what to believe and what not to. Some people hang their collection on hangers in a closet, some people think hangers are no good. so people say lock tite air bags or boxes, some don't like them. i think its about prefrence as i have seen some collections on here with people that put them in mannequins and have no problems.I know some people who keep them in bags and in a drawer out of light and such.I personally have mine in the bags they came in on a book case just b/c idk what else to od with them. I do wanna build a hutch type thing and hang them in there with hangers and suit bags (clear zip up protector thing) and put a door on it. I don't know if i will do that though. I do know you shouldn't leave them in regular light as the jersey will fade. As far as unwashed jerseys i wondered that too. Some people are so careful of their jerseys and what not yet they are covered with mud and grass stains.

chd49er
03-14-2011, 01:27 PM
What I am asking is, even when jerseys are stored in the correct fashion to preserve them, over time we are now faced with heavy sweat, blood, dirt, grass, paint etc... in unwashed jerseys. As these stains and actual elements sit on the jersey, one would assume that this would cause accelerated deterioration.

If one wanted to preserve an unwashed jersey, just as it came off the field, is there a way to neutralize the deterioration over time. We all know that simply storing a jersey wrong that is in good condition with only repairs, hit marks etc... can cause a jersey to be destroyed. One would assume that unwashed jerseys that have been exposed to these elements and had it grinded into the jersey would cause accelerated aging and harmful damage.

I am not sure if there is something to spray on these jerseys to preserve them as they are and stop any accelerated aging or deterioration that may be caused by them being unwashed.

I am all for unwashed jerseys and obtaining ones that are completely destroyed. I thought it may be a good idea to bring this up for open discussion now, instead of having thousands of dollars of partial jerseys left, years down the road.

I will post a good example of a jersey tonight.

Clay
BUYING ALL 1995 49ER GAMERS AND PAYING BIG MONEY!
cdubois@carolina.rr.com

mad87man
03-14-2011, 02:09 PM
ohhh ok. i don't know anything that could be done personally.i mean i have seen some jerseys a couple years old that are still fine but 10-15 years down the road i don't know if people really know what will happen. Unwashed jerseys seem to be a new trend that just started a few years ago.

geoff
03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
I Used Fabreze On A Game Used Adam Jones Unwashed Orioles Jersey And I hung It In my Closet for A week before I put It In A Jersey Case And It had No Smell.

Thanks
Geoff

geof631@yahoo.com

mad87man
03-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Geoff yeah but i think he means how do you preserve them so the dirt and grass don't eat away at the fabrics. Kind of like UV light does.

Klattsy
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't think grass and sweat would actually eat away at the material though would it? There isn't an acidic base to the stains? Unless the grass for examples becomes an enticement for insects/bugs to attract them to the material, then you could be in trouble. Like if you had a goat in there or something.

I would have thought the only detrimental effect with leaving stains on clothes would be the difficulty in REMOVING the stain in the future...but that would never be a requirement.

Mark.

chd49er
03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Well, at least I don't have to worry about the goat issue where I live. Sweat does turn jerseys yellow over time. I have read articles from experts stating the oil on you hands can have an adverse affect over time but who is handling them so much that that would even come into play? Some food for thought would be, what is the chemical make up of the turf paint that is used. I know it is safe for grass but is it safe for the jersey material. Another thought is, and this may be stretching it a bit, but the fertilizers that are used for the grass on the field. When grass stains and dirt are transferred to the jerseys are some of the chemicals transferred also. I do know that fertilizers will corrode and rust metals.

I have attached one of my unwashed jerseys as an example of concern.

Clay
cdubois@carolina.rr.com
BUYING ALL 1995 49ER GAMERS AND PAYING TOP DOLLAR!!!!!

chd49er
04-25-2011, 08:25 PM
I wanted to bring this back up for discussion in order to get feedback and a possible long term storage solution. Please let me know if anyone has knowledge on this. I have many high end unwashed NFL items that I would rather not see deteriorate over the years. All educated feedback would be appreciated.

Clay

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR 49ER GAMERS AND PAYING BIG $$$$$$!!!!! EMAIL ME WITH ANY 49ER GAMERS YOU HAVE.

cdubois@carolina.rr.com

BU54CB
04-26-2011, 09:37 AM
I wanted to bring this back up for discussion in order to get feedback and a possible long term storage solution. Please let me know if anyone has knowledge on this. I have many high end unwashed NFL items that I would rather not see deteriorate over the years. All educated feedback would be appreciated.

Clay

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR 49ER GAMERS AND PAYING BIG $$$$$$!!!!! EMAIL ME WITH ANY 49ER GAMERS YOU HAVE.

cdubois@carolina.rr.com

I guess I don't worry about it, I don't have super high end jerseys, but I display them on Mannequins in a room I store my other memorabilia in. There's a UV filtering shade over the window that never opens, and I am purchasing UV film for the window for good measure.

I have mine out so they can be viewed by anyone that comes to my house, otherwise what's the point of having them? If I can't display what I have, then I just have some expensive clothes stored away.

I look at it like this, there are tons of jerseys 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years old and more. Most are in great shape and lasted this long and will continue to last. Some of those jerseys weren't taken care of as well as I take care of mine even though they are displayed, so I don't worry.

BU54CB
04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I guess I don't worry about it, I don't have super high end jerseys, but I display them on Mannequins in a room I store my other memorabilia in. There's a UV filtering shade over the window that never opens, and I am purchasing UV film for the window for good measure.

I have mine out so they can be viewed by anyone that comes to my house, otherwise what's the point of having them? If I can't display what I have, then I just have some expensive clothes stored away.

I look at it like this, there are tons of jerseys 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years old and more. Most are in great shape and lasted this long and will continue to last. Some of those jerseys weren't taken care of as well as I take care of mine even though they are displayed, so I don't worry.

I meant to add that if I had super high end items, I'd display them same as I do now with no worries.

chd49er
04-26-2011, 08:16 PM
I agree with displaying the jerseys that one has. My concern is not about displaying a jersey or actually how one might store it but the overall possible deterioration over time whether displayed or not with all of the grass, dirt, sweat stains etc. Will the unwashed jerseys with all of the heavy use from staining cause a jersey to deteriorate more rapidly? If so is there a way to preserve the current state of the jersey with all of the stains etc. so that there is no accelerated deterioration caused by the unwashed state? I am just curious as now we are seeing and buying more unwashed jerseys than in earlier years. Is this something to be concerned about? When you have significant money invested in game used items I want to make sure the jerseys etc. stay in the same condition over the years.

Clay

I WANT TO PAY YOU BIG $$$$$ FOR YOUR 49ER GAMERS AND WILL MAKE YOU AN OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE!!!!!!! PLEASE EMAIL ME!!!

cdubois@carolina.rr.com

spartakid
07-30-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm looking for a plastic storage box large enough to hold my jerseys flat (without folding them) and I haven't been able to find one large enough. I measured them out and I'm looking for a 40 in. by 40 in. box, height doesn't matter as I can get multiple. Does anyone know where I may be able to find a box big enough, or have any similar ideas for flat jersey storage without hanging them?

Thanks,

Ricardo

Mark17
07-30-2011, 12:46 PM
My first thought is those plastic containers they sell at Walmart for storage of Christmas wrapping paper rolls. They would be long enough, but they aren't very wide. So... if you're looking for a non-folding solution, could you carefully roll your jersets and store them that way?

I wonder if a rolled jersey could be easily pressed flat, years later, without any damage? I'd think so, as long as they weren't rolled too tightly.

Good luck.

brewcrew
07-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Not sure if this would work for you, but when we moved I used Space Bags to pack up my jerseys. I believe the XL sized ones were big enough to have the jerseys lay completely flat.

I used a vacuum to seal them to take up less space, but you could just skip that step. The disadvantage to using a Space Bag would be that it isn't hard plastic, but it would keep dirt and debris out while letting the jerseys lay flat.

spartakid
07-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I hadn't thought of the space bag idea, perhaps that'd work.

psmachetti
07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm considering getting my jerseys out of the closet and storing them.If I hang anymore jerseys I'm liable to have my closet rod torn from it's brackets. My wife suggested space bags but I thought that might wrinkle them. I was leaning towards the plastic storage boxes but I don't have much room to store them. I have hockey and baseball jerseys. Thing is I like wearing my jerseys .I'm thinking of rotating my collection into storage every 6 months. May have to go the space bag route if it's not going to wrinkle my jerseys.

brewcrew
07-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Here's what I can tell you about the wrinkling concerns. I packed up my jerseys in a Space Bag, vacuumed out the air, and had them sitting around our condo waiting to be moved for a few weeks. When we arrived in Texas, I waited a couple of weeks or so before letting the air out of the bag and hanging the jerseys up (couldn't help it, sometimes you just want to look at your jersey collection, LOL).

The jerseys, for the most part, remained wrinkle-free. I also have some dress blouses and other items that were in Space Bags and they have the normal wrinkles one would associate with having dress clothes compressed in a bag, but nothing major. I think as long as you got one of the giant bags and didn't vacuum out the air, you'd be fine. It'd be more of a dust protector than anything else.

Also, I don't know if the dimensions of the bags are listed on the Space Bag website; if anyone is really interested I can probably get one of ours out and measure it for you or send example pics. I found them to be a decent product for what I paid for them.

RJB44
10-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Curious to know how other collectors are storing their game jerseys. These would be the ones you aren't displaying, but may have in closets, on racks or in drawers. I have 40+ baseball jerseys from the 1980s and keep them on hangers. I recently decided to put light weight clear garment covers over them in hopes of better protection. I only have them on about half of the collection, but plan to pick up some more covers from my local dry cleaners.

I have purchased jerseys in the past which were obviously folded for a very long time and found it a challenge at get the creases out. I think most of us agree, a heavily creased jersey doesn't display well. I have also seen some older jerseys with discoloration along the shoulders from extensive time on a hanger, commonly called "Hanger Marks". I have seen this more often with white jerseys. I know the benefits of having them in a smoke free environment, which I do, but curious to see what other feedback collectors have with regards storage.

Thanks
RJB44

legaleagle92481
10-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Greg, the moderator wrote a great article on this topic about two years ago and had some great suggestions.If your looking for storage tips you might want to search for it on here.

dcgreg25
10-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Greg, the moderator wrote a great article on this topic about two years ago and had some great suggestions.If your looking for storage tips you might want to search for it on here.

Thanks legal, here is the link:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=34195&page=2

thegoodz15
10-03-2011, 07:12 PM
hey mr dcgreg,

i have been collecting since 1984 and and frequent the forum....after reading all your information about caring for jerseys.....i was like....whew
just to name a few.....i have the only flannel thurman munson uniform ever found, and a 1960's home uniform of micket mantle....i simpy put them on plastic padded hangers etc etc....but after reading how things could happen...i would be out a shoe load of cashola....lol.....thanx for the information.....and see you guys on ebay.....happy collecting go yankees
scott " thegoodz15"