PDA

View Full Version : Twins Ink Mauer

thomecollector
03-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Twins ink Mauer to an 8 year 184 Million deal. Full no trade clause...Sorry Yankees...

jobathenut
03-21-2010, 06:45 PM
It's amazing that the twins paid that much.As the "wonderboy" needed to stay a twin as much as they needed him to stay a twin.And the twins could have kept him for half of that.To me thats way too much to invest in any player.And i know you were joking.But i am trired of people saying things like this "sorry yankees".What makes people think they would even want him.
Twins ink Mauer to an 8 year 184 Million deal. Full no trade clause...Sorry Yankees...

allstarsplus
03-21-2010, 06:49 PM

That blows me away. An average of $23 million a year probably just sent Albert Pujols to the store for an expensive bottle of champagne!

legaleagle92481
03-21-2010, 07:06 PM
very happy for the twins and their fans. it is a great day for baseball. if mauer left the twins they would be crippled and the yanks, sox or phils would have added another big ticket free agent. it is great to have the stars spread throughout the game for the fans to enjoy them.

yanks12025
03-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Hope Mauer is happy with the money because he's never going to win a ring.

legaleagle92481
03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Hope Mauer is happy with the money because he's never going to win a ring.

who knows if he will. did giambi ever think he would not win a ring when he signed with the yanks? not saying giambi is in mauer's league because he is not but he was a mega dollar signing and he won zero rings during his long tenure with the yankees. when pudge rodriguez signed with the marlins did anyone including himself dream that it would lead to a ring? the yanks, phils and red sox may collect stars but none of them are locks to win anything. most of the yanks most important players i.e. jeter, mariano, posada, petitite and arod are well into their 30s and could break down at any moment. if riveria goes down the yanks will be crippled. the red sox have serious questions on offense and victor martinez, beckett and papelbon may not be back next year. the phils have serious pitching questions after hallday and like the yanks older players.

entitled_nitwits
03-21-2010, 07:44 PM
That blows me away. An average of $23 million a year probably just sent Albert Pujols to the store for an expensive bottle of champagne!

NO kidding!

I thought MLB had it figured out, but this contract seems more about developing the Twins "brand" than just trying to retain a truly great player. I honestly thought these kind of pay-days were behind us. How wrong we can be.

legaleagle92481
03-21-2010, 07:56 PM
NO kidding!

I thought MLB had it figured out, but this contract seems more about developing the Twins "brand" than just trying to retain a truly great player. I honestly thought these kind of pay-days were behind us. How wrong we can be.

how many players does this really affect? mauer is a three time batting champ, gold glove, mvp catcher who is 26 years old. he also plays in his home area and has a spotless rep. and he is starting to develop power. no other catcher right now is within a mile of him. he is easily one of the top three players in the game. of the others in that group arod has a high dollar long term deal already and pujols is getting 25 million regardless of what anyone else gets. the matt holliday contract is much more alarming considering the lack of other suitors. the big revenue teams were not even interested in him and the cards bid against themselves for him.

skyking26
03-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Cards better go to the bank and make arrangements to sign Albert to similar bucks; or when his time comes off he goes - to the Yankees.

allstarsplus
03-21-2010, 09:15 PM
how many players does this really affect? mauer is a three time batting champ, gold glove, mvp catcher who is 26 years old. he also plays in his home area and has a spotless rep. and he is starting to develop power. no other catcher right now is within a mile of him. he is easily one of the top three players in the game. of the others in that group arod has a high dollar long term deal already and pujols is getting 25 million regardless of what anyone else gets. the matt holliday contract is much more alarming considering the lack of other suitors. the big revenue teams were not even interested in him and the cards bid against themselves for him.

Very true on his biography but still would have thought that he would end up at around $18 million a year.

Based on Joe's 2009 at-bats and projecting his new salary, Joe will make just under $44,000 per at bat and $142,000 per game!

legaleagle92481
03-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Very true on his biography but still would have thought that he would end up at around $18 million a year.

Based on Joe's 2009 at-bats and projecting his new salary, Joe will make just under $44,000 per at bat and $142,000 per game!

yeah that it insane but when compared with what lesser players earn it looks great. the following players earned between 18 and 19 million last year: barry zito, carlos zambrano, torri hunter, carlos lee and magglio ordonez. the following players earned between 15 and 18 million: jason schmidt, tim hudson, aramis ramirez, a.j. burnett, derek lowe and soriano. miguel tejada made just less than 15 million. the previous year 15 million plus was earned by rafeal furcal, richie sexson, mike hampton, bobby abreau, jason giambi (he made 23 million!) in addition to most of the players who made at least 15 million in 2009. yes the country is in a recession but baseball's revenues are up from when most of those contracts were signed. i think it is a smart deal for both sides. the twins need joe because they have a new stadium to sell and after having lost hunter and santana they risk a fan revolt if they lose joe as well and without him the team would rival the royals. for joe he gets his money and the team is in a soft division that it won last year and it has the chance to compete every year and he looks great for staying with the small market team.

jobathenut
03-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Why does everyone think that.When there is a big free agent.Why does everyone think the yankees would want them.They have won a ring without albert and the wonderboy.So why would they want or need them.They are perfectly fine without these so-called big time players.Man i get tired of hearing that garbage!!!
Cards better go to the bank and make arrangements to sign Albert to similar bucks; or when his time comes off he goes - to the Yankees.

legaleagle92481
03-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Why does everyone think that.When there is a big free agent.Why does everyone think the yankees would want them.They have won a ring without albert and the wonderboy.So why would they want or need them.They are perfectly fine without these so-called big time players.Man i get tired of hearing that garbage!!!

Where would pujols play on the yanks anyway? tex has first locked down for the forseeable future.

Manram
03-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Where would pujols play on the yanks anyway? tex has first locked down for the forseeable future.

Only other place is DH

legaleagle92481
03-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Only other place is DH

yeah just cant see albert doing that plus the yanks need that spot for posada, arod, jeter etc to get 1/2 the game off every once in awhile. the other issue is in the batting order. would tex or arod move from the 3-4 spot to accomodate albert? would albert hit fifth? just cant see it.

skyking26
03-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Tell us how ya feel Joba... Don't hold back... Sorry you are tired of my opinion you view as "crap." I'm entitled to it, as are you...

Manram
03-21-2010, 11:15 PM
yeah just cant see albert doing that plus the yanks need that spot for posada, arod, jeter etc to get 1/2 the game off every once in awhile. the other issue is in the batting order. would tex or arod move from the 3-4 spot to accomodate albert? would albert hit fifth? just cant see it.

Yeah i totally agree. He just doesn't fit

LastingsMilledge85
03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
The Yankees are notorious for locking up "Big" free agents as well as the Red Sox. It was said that if Mauer was not to be locked up with the Twins that the Yankees and Red Sox would probably go into a bidding war for him. So yeah, sorry Yankees makes a lot of sense. Besides, only three teams could really afford Mauer if he were to elect free agency (Yankees, Red Sox, Mets). It obviously the Yankees that everyone picks because they are the best, have the history, and who would want to play for the Mets. I'm saying that being a Mets fan.

geoff
03-22-2010, 02:19 PM
This Signing is Great for The Twins And There Fans.

sox83cubs84
03-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Glad to see Mauer staying put in Minneapolis. The Yankees and Red Sox can't buy EVERYBODY!:D

Dave M.
Chicago area

skyking26
03-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Glad to see Mauer staying put in Minneapolis. The Yankees and Red Sox can't buy EVERYBODY!:D

Dave M.
Chicago area
Well said Davey. I think for a small market team the Twins look pretty solid. While the Yanks have the ability to buy whatever they want to an extent; it is that mentality which I hate to present to my 13 year old son...but a harsh reality.

jobathenut
03-23-2010, 02:52 AM
Wow bob calm down.I certainly did not mean "you" to take this personal.And i said i am tired of people saying that garbage and tired of hearing this garbage.When did i say your opinion is crap.I was making a general statement and i still hold true to that.As it is stubid and garbage to think that the yankees would want or even need every free agent that hits the market.Especially the "wonderboy".Who is only worth the contract he signed to the twins and the people in minnesota.He would not have got that in the open market.And i can almost guarentee that yankees would not have even entered into the bidding on him.Like i said they don't need him.I am sorry maybe i voiced it too strong.As this is the new and friendlier game used forum.
Tell us how ya feel Joba... Don't hold back... Sorry you are tired of my opinion you view as "crap." I'm entitled to it, as are you...

jobathenut
03-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Bob seriously your yankees hate is load and clear my friend.Yeah the yankees are the only team that have players with big contracts.And they buy thier championships and blah,blah,blah......All of those that think this way really need to build and bridge and get over it.Sorry bob i like you and it pains me to say these things but come on.And i am sorry they just paid 185 million to one player.Its time to stop calling the twins a small market team.If they were really small they would not be able to afford it.The twins will never win a ring with the "wonderboy" so that money is well invested i guess.I mean tell me how many rings do they have with him so far?.And getting that money is going to what,make him better and the twins better.He is at the peak of his career right now.And what have the twins done.They have been 3 and done in the postseason.And what team has beaten them.Thats right the team that buys thier wins.Amnd last season he has a great season and where did that get the twins.That right that got them another 3 and done by who--thats right the evil empire.And also last year they were 0-11 vs the dreadful yankees.Yeah he sure makes the team win.So again tell me why would they want him.Why buy a loser when you have a team of winners.Sorry but they did win the world series last year.Thats right they bought it.And the red sux's won thiers.
Well said Davey. I think for a small market team the Twins look pretty solid. While the Yanks have the ability to buy whatever they want to an extent; it is that mentality which I hate to present to my 13 year old son...but a harsh reality.

skyking26
03-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Bob seriously your yankees hate is load and clear my friend.Yeah the yankees are the only team that have players with big contracts.And they buy thier championships and blah,blah,blah......All of those that think this way really need to build and bridge and get over it.Sorry bob i like you and it pains me to say these things but come on.And i am sorry they just paid 185 million to one player.Its time to stop calling the twins a small market team.If they were really small they would not be able to afford it.The twins will never win a ring with the "wonderboy" so that money is well invested i guess.I mean tell me how many rings do they have with him so far?.And getting that money is going to what,make him better and the twins better.He is at the peak of his career right now.And what have the twins done.They have been 3 and done in the postseason.And what team has beaten them.Thats right the team that buys thier wins.Amnd last season he has a great season and where did that get the twins.That right that got them another 3 and done by who--thats right the evil empire.And also last year they were 0-11 vs the dreadful yankees.Yeah he sure makes the team win.So again tell me why would they want him.Why buy a loser when you have a team of winners.Sorry but they did win the world series last year.Thats right they bought it.And the red sux's won thiers.
I agree with you in that the Twins are no more likely to win with Mauer now than they were previously... I am not a fan of overpaying one player, much the way the Tigers just unloaded several great players and then gave Verlander what, $80 MM? We have not won with him, what makes anyone think that removing key players and then overpaying one pitcher will produce a winner?? Understood...

I still look at MN, Mil, Det, Clev as small market teams. Detroit shed dollars this winter, Cleveland last summer for example. If they were big market like NY then they could have kept all the top tier players and went out and bought more. Sorry, I disagree with you big time Joba, and that's ok. You're entitled to your opinion and I mine. My biggest gripe is small market's inability to compete. I'm sure I'll get all the Yankee fans out to hang me, etc. It's like the mom and pop stores trying to survive when the big chain stores move in. Will I buy from Joe's Hardware if I can go to Home Depot and save alot of $$?

Just my 2 cents... We are all entitled to it...

jobathenut
03-27-2010, 06:34 PM
I guess the problem i have with your statement is that you single out just the yankees.That they are the only team that pays big money contracts and get the free agents.I mean i am pretty sure the red suxs have some big time contract players.And also by the way its the big market teams like the yankees that give the small market teams like the twins enough money of thiers to give to them.I mean let the teams keep "all" the money they bring in and than you can say that.But with market sharing it gives the twins enough money to sign players like "boywonder" and build a new stadium with money that teams like the yankees made.So all you yankee haters can thank them for building your new stadium in minnesota.And i never said you were not entitled to your opinion.You are but you are just wrong about it-just kidding my friend-:)
I agree with you in that the Twins are no more likely to win with Mauer now than they were previously... I am not a fan of overpaying one player, much the way the Tigers just unloaded several great players and then gave Verlander what, $80 MM? We have not won with him, what makes anyone think that removing key players and then overpaying one pitcher will produce a winner?? Understood...

I still look at MN, Mil, Det, Clev as small market teams. Detroit shed dollars this winter, Cleveland last summer for example. If they were big market like NY then they could have kept all the top tier players and went out and bought more. Sorry, I disagree with you big time Joba, and that's ok. You're entitled to your opinion and I mine. My biggest gripe is small market's inability to compete. I'm sure I'll get all the Yankee fans out to hang me, etc. It's like the mom and pop stores trying to survive when the big chain stores move in. Will I buy from Joe's Hardware if I can go to Home Depot and save alot of $$?

Just my 2 cents... We are all entitled to it...

sylbry
03-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Enough with the "wonderboy" crap. It's not funny.

skyking26
03-27-2010, 09:47 PM
I agree, enough with the Wonderboy stuff... Mauer wasn't MVP AND batting title champ, missing early season not-withstanding, for nothing. As much as Joba can dance on the soapbox about my "Yankee hating," it is apparent he has a clear problem with Joe Mauer and makes it know EVERY time he speaks... I do believe one would call that "speaking out of both sides," or a hipocrite...

As many issues as I've had the past 2 years, the last thing I'm going to do is worry about every word I say here. It's ridiculous. I'll have no more of it...

jobathenut
03-27-2010, 09:55 PM
It's not ment to be funny.That's what they called him his rookie season.Why would you take offense to that.Is that a insult to call him that? And by the way sorry but it's funny to me.So that's why i keep calling him that.