PDA

View Full Version : PSA DNA GU bat value

AWA85
03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I have never been one to care for having letters of certification or authentication on my game used bats, but am close to buying a bat that comes with PSA DNA LOA.

Just curious how much this would add to the value, so I can have a clue of what to pay (or what I am forced to pay). Bat value most likely without the letter would have been right around $400. With the letter how much "added value" should I be expecting?

Thanks!

shoremen44
03-21-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't put a lot of stock in the letters, they are nice and if re-selling I think they offer security to the uniformed collector.

For a piece for my collection I just make sure I do my own homework, therefore whether a bat has an LOA or not does not change the value in my eyes

SkubeBats
03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I think any LOA is only worth the paper it's printed on. I don't believe it really adds to much to the value. I only think it makes people feel better when they buy an item with an LOA then with out one. I personally would never pay anyone to authenticate a bat or jersey of mine, just a waste of time and money....

Rossi46
03-21-2010, 04:16 PM
I personally wouldn't pay anymore for a bat if it had a PSA/DNA or John Taube COA/LOA. I don't need a so called "expert" to tell me if a bats real. All they do is look at the use characteristics to determine if its real or not, heck I can do that myself. They don't know any more than me if that particular player ACTUALLY used that bat or not. I won't pay that kinda money for someone's "professional opinion". So for me, it's a waste of money to send them away to get graded, certified or whatever. Just my opinion though. Some people swear by them, it's all in what you want I guess.

legaleagle92481
03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
it depends on the buyer some people have extreme confidence in these "experts" and will pay quite a bit extra. others like myself have zero confidence in them.

bigtruck260
03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
If I was buying a Larkin bat, I would rather have a letter from YOU.

David
03-22-2010, 02:00 PM
The LOA will help at resale. Realize many bidders/buyers aren't bat experts and even many seasoned collectors will appreciate PSA's second opinion. Many bidders may have no idea who you are, so having the backup opinion from PSA/DNA will be desirable to them. I don't buy the "an LOA isn't worth the piece of paper it's printed on" and don't believe the sayers believe that either. Who wouldn't find real value an LOA from the LA Dodgers or Joe DiMaggio? Are you telling me if a jersey comes with an official Chicago Bears team LOA, you're going to throw it away because you think it's worthless visa vie the jersey?

AWA85
03-22-2010, 02:58 PM
If I was buying a Larkin bat, I would rather have a letter from YOU.

Of all things it is a Larkin bat I am going after, just did not know what the added price/cost may be in the final bidding that I should plan on paying. Judging by many of the comments, looks like I may not see that much of an increase which is fine by me!

Thanks for all the input.

woodbat
03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Several bats in my collection have a COA, always will recieve one from the St Louis Cardinal's team store. They are nice to have, but not a necessity. If some folks want to include COA, PSA or DNA papers with a bat purchase, that is fine, but to me it's not worth paying extra. Maybe I pay extra and don't realize it??? I have no PSA or DNA papers with any of my 650+ St Louis Cardinal bats.
In a related bat issue, I will share with you a couple long ago experiences with COA's on bats/autographs. Attached is a photo of a COA from MIDWEST FORENSICS, L.L.C. "Specializing in Signature Authentiction". This one happens to be for a 500 Home Run Bat. Somewhere I have another one for a 3000 Hit Bat. Anyhow this COA does not give an address or phone number of the company. There are no company personnel names/signatures, no photos of the bat etc. All I have is a 5"x7" heavy rag piece of paper, fancy printing, unreadible embossed seal in the lower left hand corner and a registration number that relates to a hand written 500 HOMERUN BAT......And of course a mint 34" Adirondack with blue sharpie written names of Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Ernie Banks, Mickey Mantle, Harman Killebrew, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, Fank Robinson and Eddie Mathews.
I won't clutter this with these bat photos, however if any of you all would like any photos, email me woodbat@bellsouth.net and I will send you some of both bats. Don't ask why did I buy these two bats!!! I don't remember, maybe it seemed to be the thing to do at the time..
If the description and price seems to good to be true then it probably is...

David
03-22-2010, 07:09 PM
There's no question a team LOA or team gift shop receipt can in identification or dating error, but is worth something as provenance-- documentation that the item came from the team. The provenance aspect alone for these types of LOA is worth something-- and will be desirable at resale.

But I agree that one cannot go by an LOA alone. At the very least, the item must be double checked for accuracy. As said, even a team or player might make an error when describing the item. And there are some LOAs that might lower the resale value. Showing a receipt from Coaches Corner wouldn't help the sales price on eBay.

MSpecht
03-22-2010, 07:10 PM
My opinion is that the 200 or 300 times over the past few years that Jim Caravello and I have saved someone on the forum mucho dinero by distinguishing between a documented gamer and a team index bat. or confirmed that a high priced bat was actually documented in factory records, probably has had some value to them.

To respond to the initial question--- for game used bats, a LOA from PSA/DNA, Mears, BATS, or someone with serious resources, records, etc will certainly add to the marketability of the item. The impact on the actual market value / purchase price is determined by the individual collector. It is another piece of information to assist in making an informed decision.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

David
03-22-2010, 07:19 PM
My opinion is that a Letter of Authenticity is like a second opinion. If the letter writer is knowledgeable and experienced, I don't know why you'd not want to hear his opinion about the item.

On the other hand, if you have a medical question, everyone and your sister may offer you advise, but you know not everyone's opinion is equal. You'll probably start by getting the opinion with someone with and MD after his name.

So, no I don't think all LOAs are equal or gospel. But I also don't think they're all equally useless. If I'm considering buying an autographed baseball, you can bet I'd like to hear Mike Gutierrez's opinion on it. If Gutierrez thinks the autograph is genuine, sure I'd like to have his opinion on a piece of paper-- for me and for resale.

Nnunnari
03-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Unfortunately people actually put a lot of stock in LOA's because they don't know or trust the hobby. A PSA GU 9/10 bat will sell for more than an ungraded (even nicer) bat in most cases. The problem is the grading system is extremely inconsistent and often times inaccurate. An educated buyer will not pay more for a PSA/DNA letter, but if you plan on re-selling down the road it will only help to have.

David
03-23-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm sure many bidders don't trust sellers (and not without reason), so appreciate the second opinion of an LOA. Remember that much of the talk on this board is about sellers lying or fibbing about their products.

Nnunnari
03-23-2010, 02:11 AM
Appreciate the second opinion of an LOA?

I'd appreciate it if it didn't cost $150.

karamaxjoe
03-24-2010, 08:16 AM
My opinion is that the 200 or 300 times over the past few years that Jim Caravello and I have saved someone on the forum mucho dinero by distinguishing between a documented gamer and a team index bat. or confirmed that a high priced bat was actually documented in factory records, probably has had some value to them.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

I would like to recommend the service Mike provides for a small fee. If you have a bat with a very limited order run, the letter Mike provides will definetly add to the value. His letters won't authenticate your bat, but will document the order record which is extremely important.

Once you have the order records, the authentication part is up to you. It all goes back to doing your homework and educating yourself on the use characteristics of the player and the bat. I'm a big believer in the game use of a bat speaking for itself.

Masimen
03-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Appreciate the second opinion of an LOA?

I'd appreciate it if it didn't cost $150.

No disrespect here at all, but the people who supply these LOA's such as PSA, Specht, etc are in business. They provide a service and and therefore they charge for said service. They charge what the market will bear. Would it be great if it cost 20 bucks? Sure. But if they weren't getting the prices they charge they would provide the service at a lower cost or not at all. When paying them to provide their service the customer is paying for not only their knowledge but also their time. I can't really take issue with their fees. As to whether or not it is worth it, that is up to the individual.