PDA

View Full Version : Bonds SAM Bat

treant985
03-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Check out this ebay listing for a Bonds SAM Bat: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160415240816 .

I bought a bat off of craigslist from this same guy (Maya or Ian Holmen) that was supposed to be a non-player model SAM Bat. When I got it, it was clearly a fake.

At first glance, it seemed like a legit bat. But the SAM Bat logo was wrong (the shape was slightly off and the bat's eye were circles, rather than convex triangles), the wood was not high quality, and the paint smelled like something you'd buy at Home Depot. I've been collecting SAM Bats for years now and this one was clearly something he'd made himself.

I emailed him and told him he should sell his bats as replicas, and I never heard back from him (but I never saw another listing on craigslist from him).

This guy may have suddenly gotten himself some rare Bonds bat (with a ridiculous story about it being from 100 year old lake logs), but I'd say this is WAY too likely to be fake to even consider.

33bird
03-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Looks different than the one you got. No Sam logo, etc. Just a prototype type bat. Also, it comes with a coa from the Canadian Bat Co. stating that it was one of Bond's two prototype bats that they had. Matches up well with this gamer I found. His isn't game used but still kindof unique in any case.

treant985
03-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Well somebody lost $250 on it. This is the same guy who was selling Albert Pujols SAM Bats with the same ridiculous story about the wood being from some lake logs from 100 years ago. And he also sold some other bats with different logos that had the same story.

Maybe he took my prior advice about getting sued by SAM Bat for trademark infringement, which is why he didn't put a fake logo on this Bonds bat.

treant985
03-21-2010, 12:27 AM
By the way, as far as I can tell, there is no such thing as the "Canadian Maple Bat Company," where the LOA is supposedly from. I think the seller is making his own bats under this name, hopefully because he realized it's problematic to make fake SAM bats.

Obviously, the design of the bat is an exact replica of a Bonds model from SAM, which also makes it less likely that it's made by a legit 3rd company (they wouldn't want to make a bat that looked EXACTLY like a competitor's bat).

Just avoid any bat this guy sells unless he says it's a replica. He's already sold enough fake SAM bats to fill a collection...in fact, he's the only person I've seen who's actually tried to fake a SAM Bat.

treant985
03-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Just to finish this up: I talked with the Office Manager at SAM BAT, and she confirmed that the bat definitely did not come from them.