PDA

View Full Version : 1960's Detroit Red Wings Frank Mahovlich? Gamer?

jersey
03-19-2010, 02:07 PM
For your viewing pleasure...

tell me what u think everyone...

both-teams-played-hard
03-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Damn! That looks pretty good! I know they made man "fan" sweaters, but at first glance that looks right. Let's see what Barry says.

Post those photos on gameworn.net!

Lokee
03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
wrong colors should be Le Bleu-Blanc-et-Rouge of Les Canadiens

both-teams-played-hard
03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
wrong colors should be Le Bleu-Blanc-et-Rouge of Les Canadiens

Lokee
Are you Canadian?

skyking26
03-19-2010, 04:53 PM
For your viewing pleasure...

tell me what u think everyone...
For sale?

Lokee
03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Lokee
Are you Canadian?

Born and raised in Beautiful British Columbia !;)

skyking26
03-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Worth thousands!!!

both-teams-played-hard
03-19-2010, 10:15 PM
The original poster of this thread (Jersey, Michael) asked me to post the photos of this jersey on gameworn.net. I started a thread, I stated that it looked good, I wasn't sure, opinions are welcomed.
Then the thread was deleted and I lost my ability to post on their forum. No reason given. I don't know if I was banned or not.
Very odd.

skyking26
03-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Very odd indeed. Opinions on this? BTPH is a respected member here. I'd like to know why his abilities to post at gameworn.net were terminated? Anyone...?

BarryMeisel
03-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi everybody,

BPTH, I have no idea why your post was deleted, you should contact them to see what happened.

As for the jersey, I had a long talk with Michael yesterday. One of the strengths of Forums like these, the exchange of ideas and communication, can also be one of its weaknesses when collectors jump to conclusions and begin to offer opinions BEFORE the proper research is done.

Is this a '60s Mahovlich? It's way too early to say.

A number of teams in the Detroit area _ minor leagues, juniors, amateur - used this template of jersey that was produced by Olympic.

What I told Michael is what we always suggest to anyone looking to authenticate a jersey:

1. Don't do anything until you find out the facts ... not just opinions, but facts.

2. Make sure you have the jersey properly authenticated ... not via photos over the internet, nor word of mouth, but by an expert authenticator properly doing thorough research with the jersey in hand.

3. Don't make rash decisions. Right now it's not Mahovlich, it's not Joe Schmoe, it's not a store bought authentic used by some guy in his backyard. It's a jersey that needs to be properly research to determine what it is.

I told Michael it is our hope he chooses MeiGray to authenticate it.

Barry

nyjetsfan14
03-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi everybody,

BPTH, I have no idea why your post was deleted, you should contact them to see what happened.

As for the jersey, I had a long talk with Michael yesterday. One of the strengths of Forums like these, the exchange of ideas and communication, can also be one of its weaknesses when collectors jump to conclusions and begin to offer opinions BEFORE the proper research is done.

A number of teams in the Detroit area _ minor leagues, juniors, amateur - used this template of jersey that was produced by Olympic.

What I told Michael is what we always suggest to anyone looking to authenticate a jersey:

1. Don't do anything until you find out the facts ... not just opinions, but facts.

2. Make sure you have the jersey properly authenticated ... not via photos over the internet, nor word of mouth, but by an expert authenticator properly doing thorough research with the jersey in hand.

3. Don't make rash decisions. Right now it's not Mahovlich, it's not Joe Schmoe, it's not a store bought authentic used by some guy in his backyard. It's a jersey that needs to be properly research to determine what it is.

Barry

It is amazing how much one can accomplish on his/her own when it comes to "authentication." A little determination and elbow grease will most certainly foster good results. Use all available resources, communicate with longtime Wings collectors, maybe some former players and/or equipment folks, search for other examples from the time period in question, etc... I personally do all my own research and I feel much more confident that way, I save money, and in the end it is much more fun/rewarding. Nothing against those generating profit from authenticating - just my 2 cents.

jobathenut
03-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Great insight from one of the greatest in the buisness.As i put you right up there with milt byron from "byrons hockeyland".I have got jerseys from both of you and i know as you authenticated them i know for the fact they are the real thing.And i know as you both are the "experts" that you can get information much better than i could on my own trying to autheticate a jersey.And i have no problem paying you to authentic a item for me.As it's well worth the money as if you say its authentic well than i know it is.And if i did it myself i don't have the expertise that comes with doing this for a buisness as you both do.Sometimes it's best to leave it to the experts.And pay the little extra to make sure your item is authentic.
Hi everybody,

Barry