PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Yogi Berra WS Jersey in GFC Auction

Dewey2007
03-19-2010, 10:57 AM
This jersey is already at 220K in the first couple of hours of bidding. Any guesses to how much this historic jersey will go for?

suave1477
03-19-2010, 01:31 PM
All I can say is when I saw that in the preview.

I drooled lol lol:p

yanks12025
03-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Very cool jersey, would be cool to find better game photos of Berra.

karamaxjoe
04-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Holy crap! - $564,930.00

Who said we were in a recession?

I don't remember too many jerseys selling for over a half million dollars. That 1939 Gehrig speech jersey broke that barrier, but does anyone remember any others?

cjclong
04-15-2010, 09:19 AM
I wonder if this was purchased by an individual or museum. Does the Hall of Fame ever purchase anything or do they rely on gifts? A half million dollars is stunning.

legaleagle92481
04-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Wow! Well it is probably easily one of the top few jerseys historical signifcance wise to ever hit the market as it is unlikely another catcher will ever call a perfect game in the WS and be as legendary and beloved a player as Yogi. I have not noticed the recession in the hobby and the stock market certaintly is not in recession. I think those areas are an imperfect gauge though because if you don't have extra money you are not typically involved in them. I mean the choice between a jersey or shares of x company or paying the light bill or buying food is not a hard one. Gray Flannel got very, very good prices last night on most lots that I saw. For example the Champ Bailey lot that JO consigned went for almost the same price as JO had Champ jerseys going for in last week's sale when taxes and the buyer's premium are factored in. Back on point the HOF does not purchase items as another poster wondered. The buyer very well may be Yogi he does have a musuem and has the cash. But then the Yanks have so many wellheeled fans that there are many people it could have been. At one world series game last year I spotted Rudy Guilani, Trump and Michael Bloomberg. And the closest seats at even regular season games go for a mint and always have wall street type guys or celebs in them.

Mulligans
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Man that was crazy! I had to walk away at $400K......:)