PDA

View Full Version : Nats release Elijah Dukes

LastingsMilledge85
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Wow, I'm surprised he was released without even getting a chance for the 2010 season.

platinum1
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Wow, I'm surprised he was released without even getting a chance for the 2010 season.
WOW I dont understand this move but I do hope the White Sox give him a spot.

allstarsplus
03-17-2010, 12:19 PM
WOW I dont understand this move but I do hope the White Sox give him a spot.

I have represented Elijah for his game used and I am shocked by this. Hoping to talk to Elijah tonight.

He makes $440,000 which is slightly above the league minimum so it isn't like his salary is much of a gamble.

kellsox
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Quick releases of players with salaries that low are usually justified- he must have really pissed someone off or done something seriously wrong. His rap sheet sure points to that- kind of a bad dude if you ask me

allstarsplus
03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Quick releases of players with salaries that low are usually justified- he must have really pissed someone off or done something seriously wrong. His rap sheet sure points to that- kind of a bad dude if you ask me

He isn't a choir boy but if you grew up for years in a shelter and your mom sold crack and your dad murdered the crack dealer when you were 10 years old it kind of affects your childhood development.

I decided not to pre-judge Elijah when I met him upon coming to Washington in 2008. I liked him and tried to be a mentor to him. He had a spotless record for behavior in Washington and was cited 1 time for being late to the clubhouse---his excuse was verified that he was helping a local Little League team and the time ran over.

Some people can change. Some cannot. I just hope this doesn't put him in a bad place.

Cut the guy a break and include him in your thoughts and prayers.

LastingsMilledge85
03-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Rizzo has said that he wants "baseball" people on the team and didn't want guys with bad on field attitudes hence the trading of Lastings Milledge. Whether Elijah has a bad attitude towards the game is unknown to me. In 2008 he did provoke fans on camera at a game at Shea Stadium, but he did change a lot in 2009 which was a wake up call year for him after being exiled to the minor leagues. Good luck to he and whoever fills in. I'm a Maxwell fan and maybe we could see Desmond in right if Maxwell and Bernie can't succeed. Desmond looks like the real deal.

dcgreg25
03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
He isn't a choir boy but if you grew up for years in a shelter and your mom sold crack and your dad murdered the crack dealer when you were 10 years old it kind of affects your childhood development.

Some people can change. Some cannot. I just hope this doesn't put him in a bad place.

Cut the guy a break and include him in your thoughts and prayers.

Well said Andrew. Clearly something happened here to cause the release. None of us know what happened or his situation. Good, bad or ugly it will come out.

dcgreg25
03-17-2010, 02:15 PM
The latest on the story courtesy of the Washington Post:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/03/elijah_dukes_released.html

The story (and the Nationals) call it a "strictly baseball decision" and seem adamant that there was nothing off the field. The story implies some potential clubhouse issues but hopefully Dukes can catch on somewhere else.

LastingsMilledge85
03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Riggleman certainly doesn't sound like he was a Dukes fan calling him great. If he was "great", why would you release him? As I said earlier, this is Rizzo making a move to keep "baseball" guys on this team and dispose of those who don't have a "baseball" mentality. Dukes will certainly find a home, I'm going to bet on the Royals, but I have no clue.

sox83cubs84
03-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Those like Andrew who know him better can maybe refute the press' reports about him, but from what I've read in baseball-related papers and have been exposed to on talk radio and the Internet, Dukes seems to usually be portrayed as an apprentice Milton Bradley.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Manram
03-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Who will take his outfield spot???? It was supposed to be elijah, willingham, and morgan.

allstarsplus
03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Who will take his outfield spot???? It was supposed to be elijah, willingham, and morgan.

Your guess is as good as mine. Some are saying Willie Tavares some say Roger Bernadina.

Dukes seems to usually be portrayed as an apprentice Milton Bradley.

Both have checkered pasts in their behavior problems, but Elijah's has been away from the ballpark and Milton's has been at the ballpark. Like I said, Elijah has stayed out of trouble since 2008 which the same can't be said for Milton Bradley.

The rumor is that Elijah isn't a good clubhouse guy and if you have been in the clubhouse during a rain delay it is like Elementary school at recess as you see the different groupings seperate off from the rest. Elijah would stay to himself. I don't consider that a bad clubhouse guy, more a guy who keeps to himself.

LastingsMilledge85
03-17-2010, 06:44 PM

It's a long list of players that include Dye, Taveras, Morse, Harris, Bernadina, and Maxwell. Maxwell and Bernadina are the front runners despite both not having productive springs. I guess you could include Duncan if he makes the team or Desmond if Guzman starts at short.

eisenreich8
03-17-2010, 08:06 PM
There were a number of others released today, including another Nat, so Dukes wasn't singled out entirely, but maybe for different reasons.

LastingsMilledge85
03-17-2010, 08:11 PM
The other Nat released was Logan Kensing and the reason for his release, I believe is much different than Dukes. Kensing had an ERA over 8 last season and was sent to minor league camp the past week, and they basically don't see him getting better, so why hold onto to a useless player.

entitled_nitwits
03-17-2010, 10:53 PM
I have represented Elijah for his game used and I am shocked by this. Hoping to talk to Elijah tonight.

He makes $440,000 which is slightly above the league minimum so it isn't like his salary is much of a gamble.

Mr. Lang,

I hope you were able to chat with Elijah tonight. Give him whatever moral support you can. This young man has been through too much trama in his young life, and somehow has managed to still reach the level of Big Leaguer.

The old saying of "Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger" kind of rings true here. Please share with Mr. Dukes that there are fans of his out here who sincerely care about him as a human being first, and wish him the best in landing a solid job as a starting outfielder for another team he is more compatable with. It would be nice to hear that some players on another team would welcome this "outsider" who is obviously struggling in his own personal war, and could use a few friends on the clubhouse. If only they would make him feel welcome. He has the ability. He could be one hell of a power hitter. This lad has one hell of a body. He just needs a support team around him. Obviously, Washington wasn't the right place.

Good luck to you Elijah Dukes. You can overcome whatever is thrown in your path. You've already proved that. Just set your mind to it, and do it again.

LastingsMilledge85
03-17-2010, 11:34 PM
You have to realize though that some guys that have previous issues don;t want to be bothered by anyone. Look at Milton Bradley. The Cubs gave him everything he asked for and it was never good enough. He wanted to be left alone, so they left him alone and yet always caused problems. I think Bradley and Dukes though are different so we really don;t know what he is like in the clubhouse.

allstarsplus
03-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Mr. Lang,

I hope you were able to chat with Elijah tonight. Give him whatever moral support you can. This young man has been through too much trama in his young life, and somehow has managed to still reach the level of Big Leaguer.

The old saying of "Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger" kind of rings true here. Please share with Mr. Dukes that there are fans of his out here who sincerely care about him as a human being first, and wish him the best in landing a solid job as a starting outfielder for another team he is more compatable with. It would be nice to hear that some players on another team would welcome this "outsider" who is obviously struggling in his own personal war, and could use a few friends on the clubhouse. If only they would make him feel welcome. He has the ability. He could be one hell of a power hitter. This lad has one hell of a body. He just needs a support team around him. Obviously, Washington wasn't the right place.

Good luck to you Elijah Dukes. You can overcome whatever is thrown in your path. You've already proved that. Just set your mind to it, and do it again.

Here are some of his quotes to the AP:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gi9e8_7hokRlLcW-IWKLelx7hD2QD9EGK63O1

He is trying to take the high road and I commend him for that.

It's a long list of players that include Dye, Taveras, Morse, Harris, Bernadina, and Maxwell. Maxwell and Bernadina are the front runners despite both not having productive springs. I guess you could include Duncan if he makes the team or Desmond if Guzman starts at short.

Check out the "we" and "us" quotes from Maxwell who is the heir apparent for his position.