PDA

View Full Version : BPH and Hobby Vets - H&B Strike In 1974?

soxbats
03-16-2010, 11:32 PM
An ebay auction currently explains the lack of number on the knob as the result of a strike at the H&B factory:

"No model number on the knob, as this is from 1974, when there was a strike at the Louisville Slugger factory, and a number of bats were shipped without model numbers (ask any hobby veteran about this.....)"

Given that the seller is suggesting that any hobby vet may know about this, and I have never heard this before in my years of collecting, I ask all you hobby vets if you ever heard of this explanation??

soxbats@aol.com
loking for obscure red sox bats from the 1960s and 70s: Carmen Fanzone, Syd O'Brien, Ray Boone, Ron Jackson, Ray Webster, Luis Alvarado, Roman Mejais, Willie Tasby, George Smith, Ken Poulsen, Felix Mantilla, Marty Keough, Bobby Heise, Chuck Goggin, Marlan Coughtry

metsbats
03-17-2010, 07:22 AM
There was a strike in 1981 not sure about 74. I do remember reading somewhere that stampless 70s bats were produced but cannot remember whether it was strike related or equipment malfunction related.

ironmanfan
03-17-2010, 08:32 AM
There was a strike in 1981 not sure about 74. I do remember reading somewhere that stampless 70s bats were produced but cannot remember whether it was strike related or equipment malfunction related.

I don't think he was referring to a Player's strike

metsbats
03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't think he was referring to a Player's strike

Neither was I. There was a strike at HB too.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/04/16/business/louisville-slugger-supply-threatened-as-workers-strike.html

MSpecht
03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
"H & B did produce bats without model numbers, including, most notably, individual player post-1975 H & B World Series and All Star bats. Another large group of H & B model numberless bats were produced during a factory strike in 1974 where model numbers are missing from the knobs.So, if as bat has markings consistent with the 1973 to 1975 time period, but has no model number on the knob, you can assume H & B made it in 1974 during the strike....many collectors feel uncomfortable with collecting an H & B pro model bat without a model number, but remember that while a player model number on a bat is important, it is only one of the criteria by which you can judge the authenticity of a pro bat."

-- from BATS, pgs 31-33

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

sox83cubs84
03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I'd love to hear Brian's take on this claim. I've seen bats explained away with this story that were late 1970s in origin, as well, and have been skeptical for a while...the ones I've seen over time seem to be all star players.

Dave M.
Chicago area

metsbats
03-17-2010, 05:39 PM
"H & B did produce bats without model numbers, including, most notably, individual player post-1975 H & B World Series and All Star bats. Another large group of H & B model numberless bats were produced during a factory strike in 1974 where model numbers are missing from the knobs.So, if as bat has markings consistent with the 1973 to 1975 time period, but has no model number on the knob, you can assume H & B made it in 1974 during the strike....many collectors feel uncomfortable with collecting an H & B pro model bat without a model number, but remember that while a player model number on a bat is important, it is only one of the criteria by which you can judge the authenticity of a pro bat."

-- from BATS, pgs 31-33

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

That's where I read it from!