PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Jersey back on Ebay BECAREFUL!!!

suave1477
06-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Hello Members of this forum most of you probably remember a recent thread started about. The Rookie Strawberry Jersey.
I stated in the last thread that iwas not authentic.
I was also punished for saying it was not authentic without educating why.

I have spoke with the seller after that of the jersey and explained to him why it was not authentic I even sent the seller pictures of the proper font. He agreed and pulled the item.
If anyone noticed it only lasted on ebay for a couple of days.

HERE IS THE MAIN REASON WHY IT IS NOT AUTHENTIC!!!
The Strawberry name on the back, the font is completely wrong.
Strawberrys name in all his years with the mets never looked like the font thats on that jersey.

ITS BACK ON EBAY WITH THE SELLER KNOWING ITS NOT AUTHENTIC!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290002908778

THE HOME JERSEY IS FROM 1984 AND THE AWAY JERSEY IS FROM 1989 AS YOU CAN SEE IN BOTH PICS THE FONT HAS NOT CHANGED!!!

Swoboda4
06-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Suave1477- I'm going to have to agree with you. The "A" in Strawberry that's in the photos has a pointed top to it and the "A" in the ebay offering has a flat top.These photos THREATENS THE COMFORT FACTOR of the item and discussion,not anger must follow.It's could be no ones fault-a very good seller can be fooled when obtaining an item but he must also be open for this possibility-and act properly in questioning and settling with his source. The official Met fonts have always been mostly thinner. Listen,that's what this Forum is all about ,to help other members (and sellers) see and realize intracacies in a field that is still relatively new and complicated. Is it also possible the Mets(teams don't always follow the norm)rushed a jersey together,or when on the road had another teams stitcher put the name on THEIR blank jersey when he came up?(Strawberry first appearance-home or road?). BUT-the comfort factor is compromised with these official photos. Good job showing the truth.

suave1477
06-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Swoboda I agree with what your saying but Strawberry came up in mid season of 1983. Even in 1983 he had the proper jersey with the proper font. So there was no rush job on his jersey they had plenty of time.

HERE IS A PIC OF STRAWBERRYS JERSEY FROM 1983 WHEN HE FIRST CAME UP!!!

Vintagedeputy
06-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Is it my eyes or are the 1 and 8 on the ebay jersey totally different sizes?

bigtime59
07-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks for this thread: it's given me a good laugh for the day!

OBSERVATIONS:
Strawberry was one skinny dude!
Those uniforms were ugly in a way that only a mother could love.
The name font clearly doesn't match the photos provided, and yes, I do believe the back 8 is a different size than the 1.

QUESTIONS:
Why is the jersey double year tagged?
Did the Mets ever use this type of year tagging?
Why does the font on the second year tag (the one with the 18) look so odd?

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

angrymuppet
07-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I could be wrong but the orange and blue lettering should have had a white outline on the text and numbers.

The 42 84 18 tag does not in any way look stitched either. It looks like laundry marker blue #2.

As most have mentioned the 1 and 8 are so off in size that they caught my eye first.

Swoboda4
07-01-2006, 07:08 PM
The number 8 is the same size, it's just that the 1 is laid totally flat on the surface and the 8 is raised up a little as the shadow below it indicates. The 8 is just puckered up from the front of the jersey. If the jersey was totally flat they(18) would appear even.

Eric
07-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I wrote the seller to tell him about concerns with the jersey and he wrote the following

Response from bearcat8
bearcat8( 7406)
Positive feedback: 100%
Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: 1984 DARRYL STRAWBERRY NEW YORK METS GAME USED JERSEY (290002908778)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
bearcat8 is the seller.

I appreciate it, I had someone else tell me this as well, I took it to the collector that I purchased it from and he put me in touch with the collector he got it from, one of the most reputable in the business. Also, if someone purchases it can't get it authenticated I will issue a refund.

Vintagedeputy
07-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I looked at it again and I still say that the 1 and 8 are different sizes AND the orange trim around each number appears to be a different shade from each other.

suave1477
07-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Hello Members I also emailed the seller and asked him why would he list it again as GAME USED knowing that it is not real.

He basically gave me the same response that he gave Eric.
Here was the sellers response:

"I took it to the collector that I purchased it from, he put me in contact with the collector he purchased it from, one of the most reputable in the country. If someone buys it and it can't be authenticated I will issue a refund. Also isn't Straw in prison right now, you said you were going to show it to him, are you there also?"

As you can see at the end he felt it was nessecary to add an insult!!!

I dont understand what more evidence he needs to see this Jersey is a fake I also asked Strawberry and he told me it's not his. I also emailed all this explaining that the item as plain as day is not real and Strawberry says its not real. How can he go against the grain. I will wait for his reponse and post it here.

metsbats
07-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Here's several photos of the name plates on legit 1984-85 Mets jerseys.

The Orosco and Knight are 85 Roads and the Gibbons is an 1984.

-David

suave1477
07-02-2006, 12:48 AM
No Reply Yet!!! But He Ended It Again For The Second Time - Lets See What He Does From Here?

metsbats
07-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Perhaps he read these posts and saw all the photos of the real jerseys.

mr.miracle
07-04-2006, 05:49 PM
I also emailed the seller and he said that based upon all the questions he was going to end the auction and have the jersey authenticated but did not say by whom. I am going to suggest he send it to Lou Lampson as that should quickly clear up and questions about this jersey's authenticity. :rolleyes:

Brett

suave1477
07-04-2006, 09:58 PM
MrMiracle I hope thats a joke?

mr.miracle
07-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Now Suave, would I really joke about something like that. On second thought though, I might have to suggest that this seller use another authenticator. Lou is very, very busy looking for the Orioles green St. Patrick's day jersey's. I have a standing order for several if they can ever be located. Those darn Orioles equipment guys must have really buried them deep in the bowels of Fort Lauderdale stadium. :rolleyes:

Brett