PDA

View Full Version : Need help shipping gu jersey internationally

slam
03-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I just sold a jersey on eBay for several thousand dollar to a buyer in Japan. What is the most secure shipping method with insurance and tracking? Also, with all these horror stories about the buyer saying they did not receive the package and receiving a full refund for paypal. What can I do from being scammed.

slam
03-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Just found out from Fedex they will only insure up to $1,000.

bsikma25
03-13-2010, 11:17 PM
I would pay the money to have UPS or FedEx to ship it themselves and package it up. They will package your item up and guarentee that it gets to the shipping address ok. That will be another source that you will have to back you up.

trsent
03-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Hi Guys,

I just sold a jersey on eBay for several thousand dollar to a buyer in Japan. What is the most secure shipping method with insurance and tracking? Also, with all these horror stories about the buyer saying they did not receive the package and receiving a full refund for paypal. What can I do from being scammed.

I would check with the post office about insurance limits for US Express Mail International or US Registered Mail (which I believe goes Priority, but it needs that special brown paper tape). These may be the safest and most reliable methods to ship internationally.

I just checked at usps.com and they will insure a package up to $5000.00 to Japan via Express Mail. You will need to declare the full value for insurance and customs. The buyer cannot leave you bad feedback for declaring full value per eBay rules. Do not let them bully you over this!

Registered Mail may be cheaper, but it is a pain to package with that special tape, but if you want to look into it, go to the post office and ask them for details.

sportscentury
03-14-2010, 07:13 AM
I would check with the post office about insurance limits for US Express Mail International or US Registered Mail (which I believe goes Priority, but it needs that special brown paper tape). These may be the safest and most reliable methods to ship internationally.

I just checked at usps.com and they will insure a package up to $5000.00 to Japan via Express Mail. You will need to declare the full value for insurance and customs. The buyer cannot leave you bad feedback for declaring full value per eBay rules. Do not let them bully you over this!

Registered Mail may be cheaper, but it is a pain to package with that special tape, but if you want to look into it, go to the post office and ask them for details.

Send it via EMS with full insurance through the USPS. EMS is Express Mail Services and it is the only service that provides step by step tracking. It is a little more expensive, but adding insurnance to the service is cheap. It is the safest method for seller and buyer. I've used it several times for high-dollar international items and it has always been perfect. You'll have to fill out a bunch of forms, which is a pain, but your postal attendant can walk you through them. My view is that it is easily worth the extra time and expense to have the comfort of knowing that your item is fully insured, trackable, and quickly shipped. Actually, it probably takes less time than shipping via Registered mail, which is a hassle because of that awful paper tape, as Joel noted. Good luck.

jetersbatboy
03-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Send it via EMS with full insurance through the USPS. EMS is Express Mail Services and it is the only service that provides step by step tracking. It is a little more expensive, but adding insurnance to the service is cheap. It is the safest method for seller and buyer. I've used it several times for high-dollar international items and it has always been perfect. You'll have to fill out a bunch of forms, which is a pain, but your postal attendant can walk you through them.

Sam,
Reid is correct, EMS USPS is the safest and fastest way to send a item inter. I use it quite often. The cost is less then, fedex and UPS and just as reliable. Also the shipping labels can be printed out by using paypal, but you will need to purchase your insurance from the post office. Paypal will only allow you to purchase up to $500 insurance. But if you purchase your insurance from the post office, they will cover up to $5000.

skinsfan0521
03-14-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm not completely sure about international, since I don't ship a lot of stuff international for this very reason buuut...

Registered Mail is by far the best way to ship anything valued over $2k in the US. The paper tape isn't that big of a deal. The thing with Registered Mail is that it can be insured up to $5k and every time the package changes hands, both people involved have to sign a tracking slip saying who it was transferred from, who it is transferred to and when & where.

I know that this may not be extremely helpful since I'm not exactly sure about the policies for Registered Mail international, but that's the case for domestic.

Hope it helps...

-Brian

slam
03-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone that replied. I guess I'm going with the usps. Hope everything works out.