PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hanks "League of their own" jersey from Hunt

entitled_nitwits
03-13-2010, 01:07 PM
In the recently ended Hunt Auction, they were offering (Lot #499) what was described as Tom Hanks worn manager's jersey in the movie. Under the 5th button, their should be a crossing over of the red piping. Any picture of Hanks from that movie will show that.

The jersey offered by Hunt is void of that characteristic. Any comments or concerns? The jersey sold for $1,000 ($1,150 with BP) before shipping and insurance. It was estimated to sell for between $1,500-$2,000, so apparently most did a bit of research on it before throwing caution into the wind and diving in with blind faith.

Interested in comments on this.

Pictures:

The Hunt jersey, followed by two photos from the movie:

nickacs
03-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Ah, that's why ya gotta love auctions that do their homework..NOT! :rolleyes:

Seems to me that the left (right side when looking straight on) red stripes curves a lot more in the movie photo too than the Hunt jersey. Maybe it's just the angle, but the curve around the side of the neck and down the front doesn't match.

Cubanfan
03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Looks like the piping in the movie picture squares off at the bottom.The auction photo the piping goes all the the way to the end of the shirt.

Carlos

always buying vintage Miami Dolphins gamers

fernsix@aol.com

entitled_nitwits
03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Ah, that's why ya gotta love auctions that do their homework..NOT! :rolleyes:

Seems to me that the left (right side when looking straight on) red stripes curves a lot more in the movie photo too than the Hunt jersey. Maybe it's just the angle, but the curve around the side of the neck and down the front doesn't match.

It's fairly evident nothing matches up. I think it's shameful there isn't an agency that oversee's these auction houses. They just list stuff which could be easily identified as bogus if there was any minute effort made to properly authenticate the items they make a living selling. Especially with an item where there is an endless amount of pictures available, as fast as someone can type "Toms Hanks field of dreams" on Google.

Net take for the auction house on this fiasco: $300.00 (15% both sides of the equation, buyer and seller's premiums).

ironmanfan
03-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I believe there was a Hanks jersey also in the Halper Sotheby's Auction ('99)

rose14
03-13-2010, 10:00 PM
It's rare but sometimes it works the other way.

I agree Hunt Auctions should really conduct a little more research when it comes the game used portion of their consigments. David Hunt is as nice as they come and is very knowledgable and runs one of the most respected auction houses in the business but sometimes it has hurt them and their consignors.

A recent purchase from one of their auctions has quite possibly turned out to be one of the most historically important post season game used jerseys to hit the hobby.

If Hunt's had been alerted by the provenance that they had been provided by their consignor and just used the certain traits of the jersey itself they would have found out after just a little research that they quite possibly had something much more than what they sold it as. By not doing the proper research they most likely cost themselves and their consignor a very large sum of money.

It doesn't happen often but sometimes it works out well for the purchaser. :D

entitled_nitwits
03-13-2010, 10:18 PM
It's rare but sometimes it works the other way.

I agree Hunt Auctions should really conduct a little more research when it comes the game used portion of their consigments. David Hunt is as nice as they come and is very knowledgable and runs one of the most respected auction houses in the business but sometimes it has hurt them and their consignors.

A recent purchase from one of their auctions has quite possibly turned out to be one of the most historically important post season game used jerseys to hit the hobby.

If Hunt's had been alerted by the provenance that they had been provided by their consignor and just used the certain traits of the jersey itself they would have found out after just a little research that they quite possibly had something much more than what they sold it as. By not doing the proper research they most likely cost themselves and their consignor a very large sum of money.

It doesn't happen often but sometimes it works out well for the purchaser. :D

Are you referring to the Reggie Jackson 1978 Yankees jersey? Were you the winner? (You certainly don't have to answer the second question if you'd rather not, but I would appreciate knowing which jersey you are speaking of.)

entitled_nitwits
03-13-2010, 10:26 PM
I believe there was a Hanks jersey also in the Halper Sotheby's Auction ('99)

And here is the jersey you are referring to, right out of page 396 of the "Modern Era" volumn of the Barry Halper Sotherby's auction catalog:

(Please notice the horizontal crossing of the red piping. In reading the description, there was additional material added to this jersey due to a "shrinking problem". More importantly, it mentions this was one of two jerseys made for the movie to be worn by Hanks. What do you think the odds are the second jersey didn't have the same horizontal crossing charachteristic of the red piping just below the 5th button? My guess is zero, so what is this one from Hunt Auctions?)

rose14
03-13-2010, 11:37 PM
It wasn't the Reggie Jackson jersey. I really don't want to name the jersey but I can say it's recently been authenticated by MEARS and you will see it in the market place in the very near future. In fact, MEARS will be doing an article on the jersey real soon.

Are you referring to the Reggie Jackson 1978 Yankees jersey? Were you the winner? (You certainly don't have to answer the second question if you'd rather not, but I would appreciate knowing which jersey you are speaking of.)

entitled_nitwits
03-14-2010, 12:23 AM
It wasn't the Reggie Jackson jersey. I really don't want to name the jersey but I can say it's recently been authenticated by MEARS and you will see it in the market place in the very near future. In fact, MEARS will be doing an article on the jersey real soon.

Lew Burdette's???

rose14
03-14-2010, 12:56 AM
No.

Lew Burdette's???

yanks12025
03-14-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm guessing its the Fisk jersey because Mears just posted a article about it. You got a good deal on it, but can you can 100% that its the same jersey. I dont know if the 27 on the back is enough to prove it.

jbsportstuff
03-14-2010, 10:05 PM
If you go to Sports Investments in Cincinnati, Ohio they have a Tom Hanks "A Leage of their Own" complete jersey as well hanging no their wall. I'll need to look closer the next time that I visit.

entitled_nitwits
03-14-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm guessing its the Fisk jersey because Mears just posted a article about it. You got a good deal on it, but can you can 100% that its the same jersey. I dont know if the 27 on the back is enough to prove it.

That's it, you got it.

I have to say, I just Google'd pictures of Fisk hitting the Game 6 home run, and there are good photo's of t the back of the jersey he's wearing of the moment. It's a fairly compelling argument it is the jersey. Everything looks to match up. Wow. Another thread, I guess.

gingi79
03-15-2010, 01:05 PM
It doesn't make the jersey real but the Catalog listing says "One of the FIRST 2 jerseys made for Hanks." That means he wore at least 3 and possibly more. Just an FYI in case anyone is looking for one, there may be many available.

karamaxjoe
03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
That's it, you got it.

I have to say, I just Google'd pictures of Fisk hitting the Game 6 home run, and there are good photo's of t the back of the jersey he's wearing of the moment. It's a fairly compelling argument it is the jersey. Everything looks to match up. Wow. Another thread, I guess.

There's no way the Hunt Fisk jersey can be matched to the actual game 6 Fisk jesey. Without pinstripes or some other mark or tear on the jersey, it's just not possible. Dave Grob does make a great argument that the jersey is from the postseason, but he obviously isn't going to say it's THE jersey without some hard evidence.

Whatever the case, the buyer scored bigtime on that auction. I'm guessing most people shied away from it based on the recent McAullife findings. I sold two Fisk jerseys a year ago for $2500 each and they weren't nearly as nice as the Hunt one.