PDA

View Full Version : I have these TWO signed Cleveland Indians baseballs...

bigtruck260
03-11-2010, 02:14 PM
From the early to mid 1950's. My parents are from Cleveland, and my grandfather was a cop - and worked security at Municipal stadium...and knew Mike Garcia apparently.

Anyway, one of the balls looks like it is 'stamped' with facsimilie sigs. Did they make those back then? It's got Al Lopez, Feller, Wynn, etc. (First Question)

The other one is unquestionably the real deal - likely a 1954 era team signed ball...it's got Feller (the only sig in blue), Luke Easter, Larry Doby, Bo Strickland, Flip Rosen - and many others. I am not sure if it was an actual team signed ball, or it was a collection of sigs over a couple of years. I will load photos later when I get home. I am looking to have my non-bat related stuff insured and am interested in approx. value (Second question)

After my Grandparents died, I got some really cool stuff from the 1948 WS (the last one the Indians won) - A program from the series, two MINT ticket stubs - and a pennant...which I gave to a relative. Not sure what to do with it yet since I am a Cardinals collector, so it sits in a safe for the time being.

Baseball was the LEAST of Grandpa's collectibles though. He was a Peal Harbor survivor, and his war medals and WW2 treasures are the tops.

sox83cubs84
03-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Dave:

Obviously, I never met your grandfather, but a guy who survived 12/6/41 at Pearl harbor, and lived and fought further through that and the rest of WW2 is a man of great strength, in my book.

As far as the facsimile stamped signed baseballs, I'm pretty sure they were around in the mid-1950s.

Dave M.
Chicago area

bigtruck260
03-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Dave:

Obviously, I never met your grandfather, but a guy who survived 12/6/41 at Pearl harbor, and lived and fought further through that and the rest of WW2 is a man of great strength, in my book.

As far as the facsimile stamped signed baseballs, I'm pretty sure they were around in the mid-1950s.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Thanks Dave -

Yeah - the ink on the 'stamped' ball is a giveaway. - the other ball has what looks like a coat of shellac on it (maybe)?

Grandpa Bob was 16 at Pearl Harbor and fought in Korea too...a GREAT MAN.

dcgreg25
03-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Dave, sounds like some really cool items and a great story about your grandfather. I am an Indians collector and have a growing collection of team-signed baseballs from various years. Just last night Hunt Auctions sold a 1954 team signed baseball for $1000.00 which was a good price. Depending upon the condition of the ball, quality of the signatures (and if any were clubhouse) I would estimate the value of the ball probably between $500 and $1000. Likely at the lower end if it was over several years or not in great condition at the higher end if its a 1954 team ball and in better shape. Check out Hunt Auctions to take a look at the one that just sold.

If you ever decide to sell that or the tickets/program, etc. drop me an email as I would be interested in taking a look.

bigtruck260
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Dave, sounds like some really cool items and a great story about your grandfather. I am an Indians collector and have a growing collection of team-signed baseballs from various years. Just last night Hunt Auctions sold a 1954 team signed baseball for $1000.00 which was a good price. Depending upon the condition of the ball, quality of the signatures (and if any were clubhouse) I would estimate the value of the ball probably between $500 and $1000. Likely at the lower end if it was over several years or not in great condition at the higher end if its a 1954 team ball and in better shape. Check out Hunt Auctions to take a look at the one that just sold.

If you ever decide to sell that or the tickets/program, etc. drop me an email as I would be interested in taking a look.

I probably won't sell any of it, but I will post pics in this thread later on this evening. The condition of the stubs is amazing...still has a shiny silver ink on it.

xpress34
03-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Dave (Big Truck) -

What a great collection to inherit. Besides Feller and Wynn, the Doby signature is huge (the Jackie Robinson of the American League). I can't wait to see pictures myself. Another thing that could affect the value is if the sigs are on a Official AL Ball (should be a REACH - William Harridge Ball if 1954).

Dave (Sox/Cubs) -

Unless my memory is failing me, Pearl Harbor was on Dec 7, 1941... not the 6th... maybe just a typo... ;)

All the best -

Chris

sox83cubs84
03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Christopher:

I think I WAS one day off...my bad.:o

Dave M.
Chicago area

bigtruck260
03-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Christopher:

I think I WAS one day off...my bad.:o

Dave M.
Chicago area

I want to say Doby is on both of the balls...but I thought that Luke Easter was a pretty good find too. Was happy about it.

I took pics of the program and stubs last night and will take pics of the signed baseballs this evening. There was also a 1982 Indians ball...2 little ones running around the house makes uploading difficult on work nights :)

And yes, the date was December 7.