PDA

View Full Version : Golden Tate / Notre Dame collectors

MichaelofSF
03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I just wanted to give any Notre Dame and Golden Tate collectors a heads up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180477901884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

There is an auction on ebay currently for "Authentic Adidas Notre Dame Football Jersey/Golden Tate" in the description the seller states: "Game worn authentic Golden Tate Notre Dame Adidas Jersey from the 2007 season."
This may very well be a Golden Tate game worn jersey, but I have to alert collectors to the chance that this may be a William David Williams jersey. Williams was a Senior in 2007 and wore #23 as well. As far as I know, Notre Dame only releases jerseys of a player after their last season (correct me if I am wrong).

The seller stated that the jersey does not come with a letter and that is why there is no reserve. Back in 2007 Steiner had the marketing rights for game worn ND jerseys. I am not calling the jersey bad, but buyer beware it may not be what it is stated to be.

beavisrules
03-10-2010, 04:52 PM
but I have to alert collectors to the chance that this may be a William David Williams jersey. Williams was a Senior in 2007 and wore #23 as well.

Michael,
This is a VERY good point, and one that I think everyone who is potentially interested in the jersey should note. If you look carefully at the jersey, there is a Steiner hologram (the circular one, not the rectangular one) on the front lower tag, meaning that this indeed was obtained from Steiner at some point. The fact that there is no accompanying certificate is concerning, because Steiner does state who the player was that used the jersey on the certificate about 95% of the time (though I do have one that does not state the players name). I also know for a fact that Steiner did have at least 2 Williams #23 jerseys in the past 2 years either through their auctions or websites, and it stated his name on the certificate for at least one of them.

As far as I know, Notre Dame only releases jerseys of a player after their last season (correct me if I am wrong).

Actually, this is incorrect. . .Steiner has sold jerseys of anyone from freshman to seniors in the past several years - I know because I have game worn jerseys of a few players who are actually still on the team at present.

-Mike

MichaelofSF
03-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Mike,
thanks for correcting me

dcgreg25
03-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I would be concerned about the jersey as well. I have two or three ND jerseys with COAs that state a jersey number instead of the player but the majority have the player name. It seems the number only on the COA was more common with the jerseys Steiner received early in their contract with ND whereas the more recent jerseys (2007-2009) I have seen all have the player names.

Either way, there is a strong potential that this is a Williams jersey. It doesnt show much wear as Tate saw very little playing time as a freshman so that limits the potential for a photomatch.

beavisrules
03-15-2010, 01:39 PM
the suspected Williams jersey sold for $585 - I have a bad feeling that this jersey will end up in a major auction house by next fall again being sold again as a Golden Tate gamer

legaleagle92481
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
This is the same issue that is discussed in two other posts on here: The Jeter jersey post and the one about Steiner GI jerseys of Yankee stars. Without a letter I would be extremely suspcious of a Steiner GU or GI item even if it has a Steiner hologram for the reasons discussed in those posts. Regardless of the whole is it a Tate or Williams jersey issue.