PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers OF star dead at age 69

sox83cubs84
03-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Willie Davis, longtime Dodgers CF who played on two World Championship Ddogers teams, was found dead in his home today in Burbank, CA by local police. The cause of death has not been announced, but foul play has been ruled out.

Dave M.
Chicago area

encinorick
03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
For those of us who grew up with the early 1960's Los Angeles Dodgers, this is a sad day. Koufax, Drysdale, Wills, Perranoski, "Leo the Lip" (third base coach), Ron Fairly, Sutton, Traceswski, Roseboro, and one of my favorite, Tommy Davis who blew his leg out in or around 1964. The "Davis Boys" in the outflied, Vince Scully would say.

Willie Davis was a great outfiled and timely hitter, although he made a couple of errors in 1966 that cost the Dodgers the World Series to Orioles.

1963 they swept Mickey Mantle and the Yankees in 4. Pitching and Defense, the Dodger way.

I went to elementary school with his son at Hillcrest Elementary in South Central around 1964. My father took me to a game, and before the game started, I saw him at the game, got confused, and blurted out:

"Hey, Willie, I'm your son!"

What I meant to say was "Hey Willie, I know your son."

My father laughed for two weeks afterwards.

Willie had a bad drug problem and sold most of his stuff awhile ago. The Dodgers and Maury Wills, in particular, tried to clean him up. Sad, great ballpalyer.

Maury Wills should be in the HOF.