PDA

View Full Version : Home vs. Road jersey

legaleagle92481
03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I have a question for everyone. Is whether a jersey is worn a home or a road jersey affect the value of the jersey? Is a home jersey worth more? I am asking because i am contemplating a big dollar purchase. It is an NFL jersey but it is a road jersey. So far all my big ticket jerseys have been home jerseys so I was just wondering what everyone thought.

Dewey2007
03-08-2010, 03:57 PM
I have a question for everyone. Is whether a jersey is worn a home or a road jersey affect the value of the jersey? Is a home jersey worth more? I am asking because i am contemplating a big dollar purchase. It is an NFL jersey but it is a road jersey. So far all my big ticket jerseys have been home jerseys so I was just wondering what everyone thought.

I don't think it makes much of a difference in terms of value although I'm sure some have a preference. I think the other factors like player, game wear, photomatchability, worn during a significant game/season are much more important factors then whether it's a home or road. Aesthetically speaking I prefer the look of some home jerseys over roads but will take what I can get!!

jbsportstuff
03-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I think, based off of what people have told me, that home jerseys carry a premium. I prefer home jerseys but have home and away jerseys of a few players.

nickacs
03-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Just adding a little more to what Dewey said, in that I think if the home/away jerseys are more "unique" for looks appeal/photomatching/etc.
Think of any modern Yankee's jerseys. Home will always yield more because of their better "look" appeal, uniqueness because of the pin-striping vs. the blah grey roads that all look the same.

But I'd say "generally" people prefer home jerseys, but that's just my personal observations.

skyking26
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
I collect several players. While Dave Kingman is my focus, I collect either home or road with him. Any other player I collect Home only usually. I think Home jerseys are more represented of the city he plays in and usually more pleasing to the eye. For example, Detroit's Home jerseys are classic and have changed little, while the roads have thru the years. I'd rather have a Home any day of the week....

Dewey2007
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I agree. In some cases home jerseys do look nicer but it all depends on the team, what you collect and more importantly what's available. Some teams have classic looking home uniforms that never go out of style and I guess those will always preferred by collectors. Like Skyking said he collects both road and home of Kingman and I collect home and road of my Alameda guys. I just won the Rollins WS road jersey recently and if I had a choice between the two yeah I probably would have preferred the home jersey but that wasn't the one that was offered so I had to bid on the road jersey.

Getting back to the original question of whether a home jersey has more value that all depends on different factors. It sounds like home jerseys have more value to collectors in general but I like jerseys that show good game wear and if it's a road jersey then I'm taking the road jersey over a less used home jersey anyday.

skyking26
03-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I agree. In some cases home jerseys do look nicer but it all depends on the team, what you collect and more importantly what's available. Some teams have classic looking home uniforms that never go out of style and I guess those will always preferred by collectors. Like Skyking said he collects both road and home of Kingman and I collect home and road of my Alameda guys. I just won the Rollins WS road jersey recently and if I had a choice between the two yeah I probably would have preferred the home jersey but that wasn't the one that was offered so I had to bid on the road jersey.

Getting back to the original question of whether a home jersey has more value that all depends on different factors. It sounds like home jerseys have more value to collectors in general but I like jerseys that show good game wear and if it's a road jersey then I'm taking the road jersey over a less used home jersey anyday.
Agreed Dew!!

legaleagle92481
03-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the input you guys helped me decide between two jerseys and I went with the home jersey. Before I posed the question I had never thought about it before and I would buy what was available in most cases and alot of times by blindluck I ended up with a home jersey. In case anyone is curious as to the jerseys I was deciding between they were a Marvin Harrison home jersey and a Phil Rivers road jersey from JO. The deciding factor was that I can probably get a home jersey next season assuming JO continues their relationship with the Chargers so I opted for the Harrison. I agree though about alot of use or a great game in a road jersey would make me more likely to buy that one.