PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Dave Winfield Photomatch - Thoughts?

diamondicons
03-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Came across this 1979 photo depicting Dave Winfield. Wanted to get the forums thoughts on whether it is a good photomatch. In particular, the "e" in Padres has some very distinct characteristics that appear to match up nicely. Thanks for your thoughts.

jppopma
03-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Nice jersey. I would say this is more of a style match then 100% photo match. While the "e" is very distinctive, I think all 79 Padres jerseys will have the same style and letter design. The same goes with the placement of the letters and numbers. It was likely a template so that all are spaced and laid out the same.

The point where numbers and letter can be distinctive to the point of photo match, would be if there is some mark or other distinguishable feature to them.

Others may be more liberal in their photo match terms, just my thoughts and opinion. I also do not think that a jersey has to be photo matched to be considered game worn; it's more of an above and beyond thing.

BTW; I'll beat the wise guys to the punch and say "it can't be a photomatch because the jersey in the picture is black and white" :)

allstarsplus
03-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Came across this 1979 photo depicting Dave Winfield. Wanted to get the forums thoughts on whether it is a good photomatch. In particular, the "e" in Padres has some very distinct characteristics that appear to match up nicely. Thanks for your thoughts.

Nice jersey! I have a friend who is a big Winfield collector and wanted to catch up with you on Winfield stuff.

Can you email me at my email below so I can get you 2 in touch. Thanks!

diamondicons
03-07-2010, 05:58 PM
My emial is mlwills@knology.net

rose14
03-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Nice find on the photo. That Winfield gamer looks so familiar. Ha! Ha! Hard to prove a 100% photo match but it does look really good. The good thing is the Padres only used this style for the 1979 season so there were most likely no more than 2-3 home white jerseys issued of that style for that season.

I think that Winfield Padre game jerseys are really undervalued and those late 1970's styles are great looking.