PDA

View Full Version : Minor League vs. Major League Game Used Items

drizer7
03-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I was curious to see what people thought of a player's minor league game used items in comparison to their major league items. Are minor league or major league items more valuable? More noteworthy? More worthy of our time collecting?

treant985
03-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I hadn't seen this when I sent my email to you about Wieters.

I think minor league items are a lot more fun to find because the supply is so low. Of course, minor lg things tend to be harder to verify, since a lot of stuff won't have a player's name on it, and I think a lot of items are originally bought/obtained by casual fans who don't remember to keep details on how they got an item.

Of course, minor lg teams have gotten wise recently and started selling their items with LOAs.

But since minor lg stuff is harder to find (or sometimes, you can't tell if it's major lg or minor lg), then I guess it's usually considerably easier to collect MLB stuff of a particular player.

dcgreg25
03-06-2010, 08:00 AM
It seems collectors prefer major league items and they tend to carry significantly more value. However, when I collect a player I do like to have minor league jerseys as well, if at all possible. The minor league jerseys are more rare and offer some diversity to a player collection. They are also great conversation pieces. I probably own about a dozen minor league jerseys. When it comes to "common" jerseys MLB items are much more collectible as long after the player is forgotten collectors still identify with the team retaining more value.

geoff
03-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I like both but I do think Minor League Items are more Rare then Major League Items.I guess it would depend on The Player.

Thanks
Geoff

gingi79
03-06-2010, 05:05 PM
The key to my answer is: Recycling. Even great minor league players had their jerseys used by other players before and/or after they used it. So finding a minor league shirt with a guys name attached is difficult. Determining who added the wear is also difficult.

For example: Lets say one of my favorite players, Larry Jones, wears a jersey for the Durham Bulls. Kid was a number 1 draft pick but until he proves himself, he's just a kid with potential. He does well and moves up the minors. In all likelihood, some other kid gets his jersey as this is the early 90's. Off comes the Jones nameplate one goes the Smith. Our player makes the big club and wouldn't you know it? Has a HOF career with my favorite team and will most likely have his number retired one day.

Now I ask you? Would you rather have his Braves jersey? or "Chipper" Jones' Durham Bulls?

Now he was a highly rated prospect and still I have NEVER seen his Bulls jersey made available for sale. I've seen a ton of Atlanta and even a Gwinnett (I Believe, could have been Rome) but no Durham.

Coincidentally, I'd trade a lot of quality Braves merchandise for it if someone does know where it is :p

yanks12025
03-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Sorry for changing the question alittle but what do you guys think of high school used material.

Manram
03-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Minor league is rarer in my opinion. But personally, i like major league items more

LastingsMilledge85
03-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Minors gear is scarce, but I think it's the major league gear that brings in the money. That's at least with the player I collect, and from what I have seen from others.

drizer7
03-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks everybody. I guess it's really based upon personal preference when collecting. Your thoughts are much appreciated!!

ryantex
03-09-2010, 08:30 PM
gingi79: a Chipper Jones Durham Bulls jersey sold in an auction about 4 years ago. I doubt the guy who bought it is willing to sell it. If so, I would pay big money for that one.

Regarding minor league items...I personally do not collect items just because an item will increase in value. I like unique, rare items. For that reason, I really like minor league game used equipment.

legaleagle92481
03-10-2010, 12:08 AM
I think that it depends on the player. A star player is desirable in either and some player specific collectors may pay more than they would for a major league item for a minor league one as those are harder to obtain and there is less of them. If a guy plays two years in minors and 15 in the majors there are many, many times more major league items. Other people like myself only collect major league items because we only buy one item of each player. I am even more restrictive in that I collect almost exclusivly items from a player's best years.

r_phelps
07-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I love some good minor league stuff. Sometimes you will find a clubby who has a whole stockpile of game used stuff for cheap. Also is neat trying to photomatch it with cards and pictures from prospect profiles.

Klattsy
07-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Some random thoughts:

Most of the guys I collect never make it to the majors so I am forced to buy primarily MiLB stuff. This doesn't bother me as I know if I want a jersey of common guy A then I have no other choice. Even if it has been used by other players after, it was still his.

Having said that, the guys that are in the Majors, I try for 1 MLB jersey and 1 MiLB jersey of each player. Hats as well.

As mentioned, authentication is harder with MiLB jersey's but COA's/LOA's do exist, at a guess they became more frequent from the same period as MLB Holos started (?)

If you have a player in the minors at the moment, it is definitely easier to get their jersey from a MiLB team with all their theme nights than it will be if/when they make the majors.

Mark.