PDA

View Full Version : does taking off a hologram devalue a game used?

mbenga28
03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I have a couple of MLB authenticated jerseys where the MLB Holograms have started to loosen from the jocktags and I decided to remove them and place them on an index card, fearing they might one day all of a sudden fall off and lose them. Does removing the hologram devalue a game used if I one day intend to resell it?

MLB_Authentic
03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Yep, you just lost at least 25%

dcgreg25
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately, I agree. MLB holograms add a significant value in my mind. Removing them and putting them on an index card just raises doubts about the jersey likely resulting in decreased value in a resale.

David
03-05-2010, 10:26 PM
You raised the value of the index card

bscott
03-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I disagree.

I don't think you necessarily lost any value of your items by removing a hologram.

It really all depends on the item, and if the item can be identified by evidence of game use regardless of a shiny little sticker.

If you document your game used items with photographs, showing the hologram before and after is was on the jersey or bat, and keep the hologram, as you've said you have done, then I think you should be ok. Certain ebay buyers may shy away from purchasing your items if you want to resell them, but if the items stand on their own, who cares about the shiny sticker? Furthermore, if the MLB hologram is numbered and has a link to an online database, then you have one more layer of proof should you ever want to sell the item.

The point is: Hologram stickers are a modern invention for modern game used items. Do game used Babe Ruth bats have a shiny little sticker on them? Would you desecrate a game used Ted Williams Jersey with a sticker? Further, in the long run, some smaller, fledgling "authentication companies" may cease to exist (i.e. does GAI still exist? does a GAI sticker/COA make you feel like you don't have to do your homework on a game used item? what about a sticker from "Just Minors"? etc.). Then what are you stuck with? A sticker that guarantees your item by a company that is no longer around to guarantee it.

Now, and in the future, nothing will beat a solid photomatch, but in the meantime the sheer number of game used items hitting the public marketplace sort of requires the numbered hologram system. And for the most part it's a great system. And while having a little sticker on a jersey may increase it's value in the resellers market, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I, for one, would buy a game used item with or without a sticker. As long as the item stands on its own merit.

Personally, I have removed one holographic sticker off of a game used bat. The bat is a well used Miguel Cabrera bat that was used by both Miguel and Hanley Ramirez. The sticker was from "Just Minors" who do not deal in large numbers of game used items. The company "Just Minors" missed that this bat was used by Hanley Ramirez- even thought Miguel's #24 was scratched out on the knob and "H2R" was added in marker (and the bat has multiple other characteristics of it being a Hanley bat- tape job, bat type- LVS I13, and use- the use is identical to other heavily used Hanley bats, and not so much like Cabrera-used gamers). The accompanying "COA" identified the bat only as a "Miguel Cabrera game used bat". So I gently removed the sticker, but kept it-as you have with the stickers from your jerseys. Who knows what will happen if I ever resell this bat, but I'm not worried. I know what I have. And I don't need the sticker to guarantee the provenance or value of the bat- in this instance.

I know a little shiny sticker makes a lot of us feel better about the item we are buying, but as Chris Farley's character in Tommy Boy reminds us, "If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got the spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might want to think about buying a quality item from me."

-bscott.

marino13
03-06-2010, 12:33 PM
You can always re-glue it and put it back where it was.

AWA85
03-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Not sure about all of the different types of stickers/ holograms, but I know MLB and other companies make it so the sticker can not be reused. They tear apart and come off in pieces making it impossible to put on an index card, or ever save.

I for one, do not care for holograms, but have left them on my items because I often trade and sell items when I want something new in my collection. It is your item, so it is up to you but for resale purposes you probably will lose a little resale value.

larry bourget
03-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I disagree.

I don't think you necessarily lost any value of your items by removing a hologram.

It really all depends on the item, and if the item can be identified by evidence of game use regardless of a shiny little sticker.

If you document your game used items with photographs, showing the hologram before and after is was on the jersey or bat, and keep the hologram, as you've said you have done, then I think you should be ok. Certain ebay buyers may shy away from purchasing your items if you want to resell them, but if the items stand on their own, who cares about the shiny sticker? Furthermore, if the MLB hologram is numbered and has a link to an online database, then you have one more layer of proof should you ever want to sell the item.

The point is: Hologram stickers are a modern invention for modern game used items. Do game used Babe Ruth bats have a shiny little sticker on them? Would you desecrate a game used Ted Williams Jersey with a sticker? Further, in the long run, some smaller, fledgling "authentication companies" may cease to exist (i.e. does GAI still exist? does a GAI sticker/COA make you feel like you don't have to do your homework on a game used item? what about a sticker from "Just Minors"? etc.). Then what are you stuck with? A sticker that guarantees your item by a company that is no longer around to guarantee it.

Now, and in the future, nothing will beat a solid photomatch, but in the meantime the sheer number of game used items hitting the public marketplace sort of requires the numbered hologram system. And for the most part it's a great system. And while having a little sticker on a jersey may increase it's value in the resellers market, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I, for one, would buy a game used item with or without a sticker. As long as the item stands on its own merit.

Personally, I have removed one holographic sticker off of a game used bat. The bat is a well used Miguel Cabrera bat that was used by both Miguel and Hanley Ramirez. The sticker was from "Just Minors" who do not deal in large numbers of game used items. The company "Just Minors" missed that this bat was used by Hanley Ramirez- even thought Miguel's #24 was scratched out on the knob and "H2R" was added in marker (and the bat has multiple other characteristics of it being a Hanley bat- tape job, bat type- LVS I13, and use- the use is identical to other heavily used Hanley bats, and not so much like Cabrera-used gamers). The accompanying "COA" identified the bat only as a "Miguel Cabrera game used bat". So I gently removed the sticker, but kept it-as you have with the stickers from your jerseys. Who knows what will happen if I ever resell this bat, but I'm not worried. I know what I have. And I don't need the sticker to guarantee the provenance or value of the bat- in this instance.

I know a little shiny sticker makes a lot of us feel better about the item we are buying, but as Chris Farley's character in Tommy Boy reminds us, "If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got the spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might want to think about buying a quality item from me."

-bscott.

I Agree totally with B Scott.

legaleagle92481
03-07-2010, 12:28 AM
It depends on the hologram. To me if you have a hologram from a 3rd party authentication company or a lesser known company rip it off if you want no big loss. But MLB holograms are important to keep on your items. Lets be honest they really dont seem to command much of a premium in the marketplace. However, their real value is they make items easier to sell. Without the hologram alot of collectors and dealers will not touch an item from a private collector. Unlike Ted Williams and Babe Ruth stuff as another poster commented on buyers have a choice to buy stuff with or without holograms of today's players. And I think if the price is close, which it normally is most people will opt for the hologram. I have yet to hear of an MLB authenticated item turning out fake so one can see why people would pass up an item that does not have one. Photomatching and stuff is great and helpful but you can never be 100% sure and an mlb hologram is as close to 100% sure as you can get.

allstarsplus
03-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Luckily you saved the holograms. I think many potential buyers would have an issue with it unless you could photomatch the jersey.

Here is my story I have only shared with a few people as I am still so pissed off every time I think about it.

It is one of my favorite game used jerseys that I got. It is from shirt off the back so it was unwashed and soaking wet from sweat. The jersey was a HR jersey.

The jersey was given to me in a plastic bag and from the time I left the stadium to the time I got in the car the hologram was no longer affixed to the jersey number. I was freaking out. It was like now you see it now you don't. This was the MLB #'d hologram!

Luckily, I found it attached to the plastic bag. The hologram was intact but well attached to the bag.

I took it back the next day to the dugout area and explained the situation to the clubhouse guy and they gave it to the MLB Authenticator.

They gave me back the jersey and after calling the MLB offices said there was nothing I could do about it. Here is the worst part about it. They gave me back the jersey without the bag which had the hologram affixed!!!!!!!! Now I don't even have the hologram.

They also removed the players name from the online system!!!!!!!
Hologram number LH444405 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED JERSEY.
Session Product Description:

Session Name: LAD AT WSH
Session Date: September 23, 2009
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

sportscentury
03-07-2010, 10:12 AM
I can't stand holograms of any kind. Unfortunately, Upper Deck holograms are pasted onto a couple of premier items in my personal collection. It bothers me every time I see them, but I don't remove them because I know it would significantly affect resale value if I ever go to resell them. There must be a better system than tacky, shiny holograms that are placed right next to autographs and in other prominent places. In my humble opinion, they look horrendous, and I completely understand the strong urge to remove them on PC items.

tigerdale
03-07-2010, 10:51 AM
That is a sad story Andrew, I'd be sick too if that happened to me. I also agree w/ the appearance of holograms...its always bothered me...the hologram...no matter which company its from...its sole purpose should be the authenticate...period...its not meant to be a part of the display. I wish mlb would put theres in a hidden place, it the collars of jerseys, on the back or top of barrel on bats, on the backsides of locker nameplates, inside the bands of hats, up inside the helmets......let it do its job w/out being part of the display!!