PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Jobs

philsfan
03-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Hey guys. I have been considering a change in occupation from corporate lawyer to working in some capacity with a major league team. I have no idea where to get started learning about opportunities, etc. I would really appreciate any leads, etc. you guys could give me. I figure someone on the GUU has some knowledge of this topic. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
David

favrenvikes09
03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
I dont know of any jobs personally but I know for a fact on MLB.com or monster.com you can look at openings in the MLB. I believe MILB.com also has a link to find job openings.

obpercent1
03-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey guys. I have been considering a change in occupation from corporate lawyer to working in some capacity with a major league team. I have no idea where to get started learning about opportunities, etc. I would really appreciate any leads, etc. you guys could give me. I figure someone on the GUU has some knowledge of this topic. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
David

Dave,'
I know a few people that work for different MLB and minor league teams, and they tell me that player development/scouting is the best area to focus in on. The pay is far less than one would expect and the hours way to long, but if it something you are really committed to do it is worth it in the long run.

chakes89
03-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Dave,'
I know a few people that work for different MLB and minor league teams, and they tell me that player development/scouting is the best area to focus in on. The pay is far less than one would expect and the hours way to long, but if it something you are really committed to do it is worth it in the long run.
How does someone get into Player Development/Scouting?

I am currently studying Sport Management and this is the field I would love to get into

obpercent1
03-03-2010, 08:22 PM
How does someone get into Player Development/Scouting?

I am currently studying Sport Management and this is the field I would love to get into

Three simple words contacts, contacts, contacts. Your best bet is to try to secure an internship with a MLB team anywhere in the front office which is a task in itself then to build your contacts through that way. Its really tough if you don't have a player background.

Your next best bet is to beat the bushes and make contacts with a local area scout for a mlb team and have them mentor you. You can go to any minor league game and run into scouts checking out the game directly behind home plate. Just be weary of minor league jobs/internships they are very very low paying in which you work crazy hours and often a dead end job they are not a guarantee that you will follow the " player " road to a big league job by working your way up to the big league club

nationals2k9
03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I spent a few years in the front office with the Phillies, Rangers, Nationals and can provide folks with suggestions if interested. Off the record, I also have access to contact info for key personnel at all teams in all sports all levels. michael_benko@yahoo.com

chakes89
03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I would really appreciate any information that you could provide.

Is it all right to email you?

Thanks