PDA

View Full Version : Playoff jersey more valuable?

dnrapp
03-02-2010, 06:34 PM
I just picked up a B. Wagner #13 Red Sox BP jersey from Steiner. The MLB# comes up as game 3 of 2009 ALDS. Does this make it more valuable?

metsbats
03-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I just picked up a B. Wagner #13 Red Sox BP jersey from Steiner. The MLB# comes up as game 3 of 2009 ALDS. Does this make it more valuable?

Yes it does. Any game used item that can be attributed to being used or worn during or issued for a playoff or WS game does add a premium. The premium would vary depending on it being just issued, worn, or used.

Congrats! That's a nice pickup!

Did Steiner sell it as a game worn 09 ALDS jersey or did they not know?

suave1477
03-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Hello dnrapp,

I would think it may add a tad bit more value to the average collector, to it than the average BP Jersey.

It may add a bit more value to it Than that to a Boston Red Sox Collector.

And if it came from an actual World Series Champion Ship season even some more value.

Example:

The average BP Jersey value lets say for arguements sake is $50
Being a Play Off BP Jersey maybe $50 to $75
Maybe to a collector of that particular team maybe $75 - $100
And from that teams World Series Championship season maybe $100 to $125

This is just a loose break down.

Just an idea to give you a lossely based guideline.

dnrapp
03-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes it does. Any game used item that can be attributed to being used or worn during or issued for a playoff or WS game does add a premium. The premium would vary depending on it being just issued, worn, or used.

Congrats! That's a nice pickup!

Did Steiner sell it as a game worn 09 ALDS jersey or did they not know?

Steiner just sold it as a game worn 2009 BP jersey.

Manram
03-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Definately adds some value, not sure how much

legaleagle92481
03-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Doesn't BP stand for batting practice? I don't know how much of a premiunm that commands because 1. It was not worn during an actual game and 2. The Sox went out in the first round this year. Some major companies like Mei Gray do not sell playoff jerseys at a markup. Check their sites they have them going for the same price as regular season jerseys for the nonchampionship teams (they do not seem to have any from recent NHL or NBA champs). Other companies like JO Sports sell them at a markup for instance they are selling Jets playoff jerseys for more than the regular season ones. Also tonight on MLB auctions an Utley bat from the playoffs but used before his big World Series went for 2.5 times what a regular season one would sell for. So I think it depends on the situation. There are not many sox wagner jerseys out there so a wagner collector may be willing to pay more just for that if he has one from the other teams billy played for and wants to complete his collection.

sportscentury
03-03-2010, 03:09 AM
You have to love Steiner. They really have no idea what they are doing half of the time. I look back on those old GUU threads in which some folks argued that Steiner's system is better than MeiGray's ... and just smile. In bizarro world, it would be true.

Congrats on the sweet pick-up. I would try to get it photo-matched to the ALDS to remove any doubt if I were you. You paid a BP price and got an ALDS jersey ... talk about rags to riches. To answer your question, yes, all other things being equal, a playoff jersey is generally worth a good bit more than a regular season jersey ... but it has to be worth WAY more than a BP jersey (the latter of which generally isn't worth that much)! You can't win 'em all, but you have to feel good about this one.

sox83cubs84
03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
In the old days, on a few occasions postseason jerseys would be marked accordingly in tagging. Some exampes:

2000 White Sox ALDS (home and road), detailed tail tag.
1986 Mets (year tag...no such tag in regular season jerseys)
1981 Dodgers (same as above)
1979 Angels (same as above...all three were made by Goodman)
1986 Astros (Rawlings set 2 1986 flag tag...Goodman made regular season unies)
1950 Yankees (51 year tag, and no AL 50th Anniversary patch on left sleeve)
1984 Cubs NLCS (85 year tag and round patch/imprint on right sleeve)

Also, I defer to Lon or Charles and their niche expertise on the Giants to ask whether or not any Giants 1972 tagged flannels were worn in the 1971 NLCS.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Marichal27
03-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Dave...Those '72 Wilson Giants home were not used in '71. Just the early part of '72 til their knits came in. Lot of years ago that was the rumor, that they wore '72 stiched in the tail in 1971. The Giants only had a day to play in the playoffs from the end of the season, and won the west by 1 game. Not like they were going to cruise into the playoffs with a huge lead in the standings. The Dodgers , at least in the earlier '70's had jerseys marked set P for playoffs. I had a '74 at one time, and Lon confirmed it at the time.

intheminors
03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
It's not a playoff jersey but that's one of the reasons I was so excited to get the black New Orleans Saints jersey I picked up last month. It is from the 2008 game in London vs. the San Diego Chargers and can be tracked to that specific game.

I was surprised, however, that I paid less for it on ebay than I would have purchasing the black Saints jersey that JO Sports had on their site. The jersey is from the same player. The ebay jersey had a certificate from NFL Auction; the JO Sports jersey came with the standard JO paperwork.

Thanks.

Kyle

sox83cubs84
03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Dave...Those '72 Wilson Giants home were not used in '71. Just the early part of '72 til their knits came in. Lot of years ago that was the rumor, that they wore '72 stiched in the tail in 1971. The Giants only had a day to play in the playoffs from the end of the season, and won the west by 1 game. Not like they were going to cruise into the playoffs with a huge lead in the standings. The Dodgers , at least in the earlier '70's had jerseys marked set P for playoffs. I had a '74 at one time, and Lon confirmed it at the time.

Thanks for the help on the Giants...I remeber when the false scenario was conventional hobby wisdom. I forgot about the set P 1974s...that's another one....the reminder is appreciated.

Dave M.
Chicago area

sforaker
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
A Reggie Jackson 1978 World Series Yankee home jersey just sold at Hunt Auctions for over $41K.

TNTtoys
03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
A Reggie Jackson 1978 World Series Yankee home jersey just sold at Hunt Auctions for over $41K.

That jersey could have a bit more significance than the average piost season jersey. One of the greatest post season stories of all time was Reggie's 3-HR game in 1978... he did that in a home jersey...

sforaker
03-04-2010, 02:29 PM
That jersey could have a bit more significance than the average piost season jersey. One of the greatest post season stories of all time was Reggie's 3-HR game in 1978... he did that in a home jersey...

Reggie's 3 HR game was in 1977 WS, not 1978 WS. So this was not the jersey he used for the 3 HR game.

TNTtoys
03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Reggie's 3 HR game was in 1977 WS, not 1978 WS. So this was not the jersey he used for the 3 HR game.

Oops...my bad.

metsbats
03-04-2010, 03:18 PM
In the old days, on a few occasions postseason jerseys would be marked accordingly in tagging. Some exampes:

Also, I defer to Lon or Charles and their niche expertise on the Giants to ask whether or not any Giants 1972 tagged flannels were worn in the 1971 NLCS.

Dave M.
Chicago area

The 86 Mets also tagged their BP sets (home and road) with the SET P playoff tags too.

Dewey2007
03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Oops...my bad.

Dont' worry your a Mets fan. Your not supposed to remember this kind of stuff! :D

TNTtoys
03-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Dont' worry your a Mets fan. Your not supposed to remember this kind of stuff! :D

I guess you're right... 77... 78... it all blends together in my mind.

Hmmm... when was the last time my team went to the World Series in consecutive years?

:(

But on the bright side, we scored 17 runs today

:o

legaleagle92481
03-05-2010, 12:14 AM
I guess you're right... 77... 78... it all blends together in my mind.

Hmmm... when was the last time my team went to the World Series in consecutive years?

:(

But on the bright side, we scored 17 runs today

:o

At least the mets have won one in the last 25 years. I am a tortured Mets fan but compared to my other favorite teams they are on quite the roll my Jets have not won in over 40 years, my Knicks are not far behind and my Islanders are a couple of years more removed from the Mets devoid of stars.

rose14
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
What does everyone think are the top three most famous post season jerseys (whereabouts known or not known) in the hobby?

suave1477
03-05-2010, 12:33 PM
What does everyone think are the top three most famous post season jerseys (whereabouts known or not known) in the hobby?

That come directly to mind are these

1) The Jersey Reggie Jackson wore hitting the 3 homers
2) The Jersey Bill Mazerowski wore hitting the Home Run
3) The Jersey Bobby Richardson wore to set the record for the most home runs in a World Series - And Matsui's Jersey that tied it.
4) Mookie Wilson & Bill Buckners Jersey

eGameUsed
03-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Dave M.
Chicago area

The 1986 Astros Playoff jerseys are some of the rarest in my opinion. I did a lot of research on these a few years ago. Based on color photographs from that series I have collected, there are very slight variations in the jerseys (trim width, star location, etc) that indicate that some guys used the regular season Goodman's while others used the special Rawlings.

Also, in 2005, the Astros added WS patches to one set of regular season jerseys. In fact, the road greys that were worn in the World Series were worn in the 2005 NLDS and 2005 NLCS, with the patch being added hours before the start of WS Game 1 in Chicago. I have a couple of 2005 World Series jerseys that are destroyed with use, yet have a crisp WS patch.

Thanks,

sox83cubs84
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Chris;

There was a time about 20 years ago or more that Murf Denny had nearly the whole run of 'em, but he didn't know just what they were made for (in that era, I don't think anyone did).

Dave M.
Chicago area

harpt
03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Ruth's "called shot"

Fisk

Gibson

RJB44
03-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Interesting topic, as I have a 1981 (strike shortened season) tagged Wayne Gross Oakland A's game jersey. That was the year the A's were in the ALCS with the Yankees. It was also a single season style. Always wondered how that impacted value. L.Always wondered how that impacted value. C.S.

beavisrules
03-06-2010, 02:03 PM
interesting thread. . . if you apply this question to college football jerseys, a bowl game jersey will typically command a premium of 3 to 4 times that of a regular season jersey in my experience

tigerdale
03-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Being a tiger fan, to me, without a doubt post season jerseys are more valuable. Now days, the market is flooded w/ tigers jerseys, but their post season appearances are few (very few!!). You still never see tigers world series or playoff jerseys hit the market...to me an easy 2 to 3 times the value.

legaleagle92481
03-07-2010, 12:36 AM

Here are mine in no particular order:

The jersey Bill Buckner wore when the ball went through his legs in the 86 World Series.

The jersey that Don Larsen wore for his perfect game, the only ever in the WS.

The jersey that Manny Ramirez wore in the 2004 World Series. Yes there was no amazing moment but he was the MVP of Boston's first WS win in over 85 years, which is longer than the average person lives.