PDA

View Full Version : Idle thought becomes reality

sox83cubs84
03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Lebron James filed the necessary paperwork with the NBA on Monday to allow him to wear #6 on his 2010-11 season uniform.

King James opined several months ago that he wanted to retire his #23 as a tribute to Bulls legend Michael Jordan, stating that "no one" in the NBA, himself included, is worthy of wearing MJ's digits.

The number 6 was James' jersey number in the Olympics.

Dave M.
Chicago area

carct
03-02-2010, 08:35 PM
He just realized MJ wore 23? What a joke. Jordan wore 23 before James was even born. Now he's going to switch to 6 (Dr J.) For those of you not old enough to have seen Dr J. he was Michael Jordan before there was a Michael Jordan. Jordan even copied the Dr's "free throw dunk" just as James tried to do. Pick a number and make it your own if you think you're that good.

otismalibu
03-02-2010, 09:49 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-lebronjordan030210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

legaleagle92481
03-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Bill Russell was also number 6 btw. Erving was great but he was no Jordan. He did not have the scoring titles, six championships, MVPs, etc. Plus he is a household name across the world his impact on the game cannot be measured. Every championship team in NBA history except the Bulls had a domiant big man practically. The Spurs have had TD and for the first two Robinson. The Lakers have had Wilt, Kareem, Shaq and Gasol. The Celts Russell, Cowens, Parrish and Garnett. The Knicks had Willis Reed. The Blazers had Walton. The Rockets had Hakeem. The bucks had Kareem. The Heat had Shaq.

carct
03-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Bill Russell was also number 6 btw. Erving was great but he was no Jordan. He did not have the scoring titles, six championships, MVPs, etc. Plus he is a household name across the world his impact on the game cannot be measured. Every championship team in NBA history except the Bulls had a domiant big man practically. The Spurs have had TD and for the first two Robinson. The Lakers have had Wilt, Kareem, Shaq and Gasol. The Celts Russell, Cowens, Parrish and Garnett. The Knicks had Willis Reed. The Blazers had Walton. The Rockets had Hakeem. The bucks had Kareem. The Heat had Shaq.

Yes, Bill Russell was 6. Another case for James picking that number. As for Erving, he won three championships, four MVP awards and three scoring titles in this NBA/ABA career. Jordan is so overrated.

NEFAN
03-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Yes, Bill Russell was 6. Another case for James picking that number. As for Erving, he won three championships, four MVP awards and three scoring titles in this NBA/ABA career. Jordan is so overrated.

I don't like Jordan, The Bulls or even the NBA, but there is NO WAY Michael Jordan was overrated.

legaleagle92481
03-03-2010, 01:18 AM

Don't get me wrong Dr. J was great but I just don't see how anyone can honestly say he was better than Jordan.

carct
03-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Don't get me wrong Dr. J was great but I just don't see how anyone can honestly say he was better than Jordan.

Never said he was better than Jordan. Just saying Dr. J was that type of player (dunks,moves,he was third in all-time scoring when he reitred,endorsements..etc) before there was a Jordan.

bigtruck260
03-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Never said he was better than Jordan. Just saying Dr. J was that type of player (dunks,moves,he was third in all-time scoring when he reitred,endorsements..etc) before there was a Jordan.

Just the fact that we can refer to someone being "before Jordan" underscores the greatness of MJ. There are lots of legendary players - and then there is Jordan.

both-teams-played-hard
03-03-2010, 11:03 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-lebronjordan030210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Have you guys read this linked article? It's not a Dr.J vs. MJ issue. It's let's sell a Cavs #6 jersey to all the kids (and adults) with a Cavs #23.
Next year: a Brooklyn Knights #6 in a Footlocker near you! Jordan didn't die and "Bron didn't just discover that Jordan wore #23.

I also agree...Dr. J was Jordan, before Jordan was Jordan.

sportscentury
03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I think it is a nice gesture on LeBron's part. I imagine it is his way of recognizing that Jordan was LeBron before LeBron was LeBron.

I know I will get destroyed for this post, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Several years down the road, this may not seem like such an outrageous thing to say. Not sure if you've been watching, but the kid is pretty good.

As for Warren's point about marketing and sales, I could not agree more. Not just jerseys, but now all of his limited edition stuff can be out of 6, not 23. This creates an entirely new world of collectibles, even if the collectibles are otherwise pretty much the same.

sox83cubs84
03-03-2010, 03:22 PM

And the Bulls had Bill Cartwright, Luc Longley, Will Perdue and Bill Wennington...good call.

Dave M.
Chicago area

otismalibu
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
And the Bulls had Bill Cartwright, Luc Longley, Will Perdue and Bill Wennington...good call.

And they had to take on Finals superstar pivots such as: Vlade Divac, Kevin Duckworth, Oliver Miller, Mark West, Ervin Johnson & Greg Ostertag.

sportscentury
03-03-2010, 05:24 PM

I cringe to see Pau listed here. He gets so much help from Bynum and Odom. Do you remember him in the 07-08 Finals versus the Celtics? Bynum didn't play...and Pau simply got owned a lot of the time. Kobe has talent around him, but I just don't see another superstar. It's surreal to see Pau listed in the same sentence with Wilt, Kareem, and Shaq, three of the best 5s in NBA history.

sox83cubs84
03-03-2010, 06:52 PM
And they had to take on Finals superstar pivots such as: Vlade Divac, Kevin Duckworth, Oliver Miller, Mark West, Ervin Johnson & Greg Ostertag.

The point was, 6 championships for the Bulls in the 1990s with no dominant center and several rather pedestrian ones. How many rings have those 6 won with those 6 as regulars or active bench players?

Dave M.
Chicago area

otismalibu
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
The point was, 6 championships for the Bulls in the 1990s with no dominant center and several rather pedestrian ones.

I understand, but when you're not playing any dominant centers for the title, why exactly would it be such a huge burden not having any yourself?

Clearly, during this time, a team could get to the Finals w/o a dominant big man.

Now if the Sixers with Dawkins, beat the Lakers with Kareem, then I'd say that might be worth a mention. But they didn't :)

legaleagle92481
03-03-2010, 11:44 PM
I cringe to see Pau listed here. He gets so much help from Bynum and Odom. Do you remember him in the 07-08 Finals versus the Celtics? Bynum didn't play...and Pau simply got owned a lot of the time. Kobe has talent around him, but I just don't see another superstar. It's surreal to see Pau listed in the same sentence with Wilt, Kareem, and Shaq, three of the best 5s in NBA history.

I know Gasol was a total streach he is still better offensively than any big man Jordan ever had though.

legaleagle92481
03-03-2010, 11:47 PM
I understand, but when you're not playing any dominant centers for the title, why exactly would it be such a huge burden not having any yourself?

Clearly, during this time, a team could get to the Finals w/o a dominant big man.

Now if the Sixers with Dawkins, beat the Lakers with Kareem, then I'd say that might be worth a mention. But they didn't :)

The Sixers had Moses Malone who in his prime won three MVPS and many rebounding titles and he not DR. J was Finals MVP. The Jazz had Karl Malone and the Bulls faced them 2x in the finals and the Sonics had Kemp before he became a blimp and neither of those guys was a slouch in the paint although they were power forwards they were both gifted post players.

otismalibu
03-04-2010, 07:42 AM
The Jazz had Karl Malone and the Bulls faced them 2x in the finals and the Sonics had Kemp before he became a blimp and neither of those guys was a slouch in the paint although they were power forwards they were both gifted post players.

Ok, so now we're shifting from the "Jordan played w/o a quality pivot" to the "Jordan beat teams with good players on the roster". Gotcha. The point that was raised was that MJ's teams didn't have great centers. True. But it also needs to be noted, neither did his Finals foes.

No one is debating whether MJ was great. He was amazing and amazing for a long time. One of the greatest to ever play.

Would have been fun to see the Bulls play Dream & the Rockets in the Finals...both in their prime. Not to be.