PDA

View Full Version : You paid HOW MUCH for that?

gingi79
03-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I think we all know someone who has asked why we spent so much money on a used shirt or a broken, dirty bat or a dinged up football helmet. But I'm more interested in the opinions of collectors rather than outsiders when it comes to the question in the title.

What do you think is insane when it comes to game worn prices? Have you ever seen an auction and wondered if someone's money must have been on fire to spend so much on..... When collectors think you overspent and question your sanity, that's a story I want to hear.

I'm not talking about buying high and being forced to sell low. I mean seeing a game worn regular season jersey from Joe McEwing selling for $1000. Or $10,000 for a Joe Schmo game worn helmet when several sold recently for $500. Or Fernando Tatis game used sweatband for $500.

I am hoping some debate comes up as my friends and I like to rattle each other's cages about my hobby.

Hey! Thanks for contributing. :cool:

Tay1038
03-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Gingi79,

Can you shoot me an email. Off subject question for you.

Thank you,
Taylor
Tay1038@aol.com

legaleagle92481
03-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I think we all know someone who has asked why we spent so much money on a used shirt or a broken, dirty bat or a dinged up football helmet. But I'm more interested in the opinions of collectors rather than outsiders when it comes to the question in the title.

What do you think is insane when it comes to game worn prices? Have you ever seen an auction and wondered if someone's money must have been on fire to spend so much on..... When collectors think you overspent and question your sanity, that's a story I want to hear.

I'm not talking about buying high and being forced to sell low. I mean seeing a game worn regular season jersey from Joe McEwing selling for $1000. Or $10,000 for a Joe Schmo game worn helmet when several sold recently for $500. Or Fernando Tatis game used sweatband for $500.

I am hoping some debate comes up as my friends and I like to rattle each other's cages about my hobby.

Hey! Thanks for contributing. :cool:

It personally does not phase me as I do not collect the nonstars. Sometimes yesterday's bad deal can turn into tommorrow's steal. For instance Shonn Greene jerseys for $2,500 on JO's site looked insane a few months ago but now that he will be the Jets starting running back and is coming off a record setting playoffs in a few years alot of collectors could be kicking themselves for not buying one of them when they had the chance. Other times if someone is a rabid fan of a player and there is very little of that player's stuff on the market they may have no choice but to overpay. For instance the Olin Kretuz jersey that went for three grand on NFL Auctions a few weeks ago looked like a very high price to pay but if the buyer's grail was a Kretuz jersey if he passed he may not ever had had a chance at another as there really are not any on the market. I think sometimes for the common players it is harder to find their stuff than the stars so it pushes the price up sometimes.

gridman80
03-02-2010, 10:37 AM
It personally does not phase me as I do not collect the nonstars. Sometimes yesterday's bad deal can turn into tommorrow's steal. For instance Shonn Greene jerseys for $2,500 on JO's site looked insane a few months ago but now that he will be the Jets starting running back and is coming off a record setting playoffs in a few years alot of collectors could be kicking themselves for not buying one of them when they had the chance. Other times if someone is a rabid fan of a player and there is very little of that player's stuff on the market they may have no choice but to overpay. For instance the Olin Kretuz jersey that went for three grand on NFL Auctions a few weeks ago looked like a very high price to pay but if the buyer's grail was a Kretuz jersey if he passed he may not ever had had a chance at another as there really are not any on the market. I think sometimes for the common players it is harder to find their stuff than the stars so it pushes the price up sometimes.

Hi Justin, dont know if you saw my other posts and my email....still hoping we can move forward on the Revis we discussed...I simply need to know method of payment you prefer....please drop me an email - use either the email we have been using or deepsix88@hotmail.com...thanks again hope you are well

dcrules01
03-02-2010, 03:01 PM
As for the common superstars it is very difficult. I have been looking for a Bill Pulsipher bat for a few years now no luck. I would actually overpay to have it because I love the Mets Generation K guys. Find me a Mets Paul Wilson gamer I have had no luck. I just picked up a Doug Flynn 76 bicentennial bat from his last full year with the Reds. I paid $400 which might seem outrageous but is one of the guys that I followed growing up as well as Joel Youngblood. I know of 2 home Mets Youngblood jerseys one collector has one and Joel himself. I have seen one Flynn home Mets and that was a 78 sold on Hunt before I even got into the hobby. I would have no problem paying $500 a piece for both of there jerseys if not more. I had to do a lot of selling and networking to obtain the items I have for these guys and it does get frustrating. I would kill for a Pat Zachary bat as well as his 76 Reds jersey and his Mets home but I do have his 80 road and his 82 alt again thanks to TnT.. I have Flynn's Expos gamer thank to Tnt Toys as well as his 80 road with his 78 road pants as well as Joel Youngbloods 78 road which is hammered with use. So overpaying if the money is right at that time is not a problem although I have had fellow Mets collectors open there collections to me. I have 2 more grails on the way hopefully one will be here tomorrow and the other within the next week or so. One mans junk is anothers treasure but the common guy is a lot harder to find than the superstar but that is what makes the hobby fun. And I have made some great friends along the way. Hope this makes sense lol

sylbry
03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I listed a JC Romero Twins game used hat on ebay a while back. I paid fifteen bucks for it and expected to sell it for the same. I was floored when it sold for $120.

suave1477
03-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I will keep the name confidential as I do not know if the buyer of my Jersey would want me to give it out. And quite possibly is a member here.

But I personally sold a Jersey of a Yankees potential star (FIRST EVER GAME USED YANKEE JERSEY) for a few hundred bucks.

Not bad right??? A couple of hundred bucks not a bad deal for me and not a bad deal for the buyer right???

How about Steiner sells a similiar Jersey of this player (HIS DEBUT GAME USED JERSEY) for 20K

Imagine when my jaw dropped???????:eek:

Now here is my thing they are selling his Debut Jersey which just means this is the players Jersey when he first either stepped to the plate or to the mound. Yet I am selling his FIRST EVER Jersey and I sold mine for a few hundred.

I am not mad at all and was actually more happier for, in my opnion, to my buyer that was able to obtain a better more valueable Jersey for 1/100th the cost of Steiner's.
But I couldnt believe that Steiner would charge that much?? and someone actually paid 20k for someones Jersey??? and if they knew there was actually a Jersey before it????

murfsteve25
03-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Many collectors have good reason for spending so much on certain items. I wont speak about other collectors, but i will explain a few of my purchases.

As I collect David Justice, most of the time I am willing to overpay on certain items that i know will be hard for me to find else where. I see game used bats every day, and i know what they have been selling for in the past. Those are the one thing i will be mindful about and will not overpay.

When it comes to jerseys, hats, fielding gloves, batting helmets, etc... I will overpay to a certain amount.

I have looked up many of his jerseys that have sold through online auctions. Most expensive one ive seen has been around $500, while the norm is usually $200-$300. I overpaid a little bit on my Indians jersey with no regrets for a price of $500. I bought my world series gamer for $1500 which i thought i got a great deal on, especially since the seller was originally asking for $3500. The reason i will overpay on these items is because i know how hard it is to find them. These are not things i come across very often and when i see them i jump at the opportunity.

(i hope i stayed on topic)

EurekaDave
03-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Steve Murf,
I have a Dave Justice Braves jersey would sell. das1721@suddenlink.net

legaleagle92481
03-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Many collectors have good reason for spending so much on certain items. I wont speak about other collectors, but i will explain a few of my purchases.

As I collect David Justice, most of the time I am willing to overpay on certain items that i know will be hard for me to find else where. I see game used bats every day, and i know what they have been selling for in the past. Those are the one thing i will be mindful about and will not overpay.

When it comes to jerseys, hats, fielding gloves, batting helmets, etc... I will overpay to a certain amount.

I have looked up many of his jerseys that have sold through online auctions. Most expensive one ive seen has been around $500, while the norm is usually $200-$300. I overpaid a little bit on my Indians jersey with no regrets for a price of $500. I bought my world series gamer for $1500 which i thought i got a great deal on, especially since the seller was originally asking for $3500. The reason i will overpay on these items is because i know how hard it is to find them. These are not things i come across very often and when i see them i jump at the opportunity.

(i hope i stayed on topic)

out of curiosity which series did you get one from? dave was in so many. that is a good price regardless. yankee coaches jerseys went for more than that this year.

murfsteve25
03-03-2010, 02:21 AM
out of curiosity which series did you get one from? dave was in so many. that is a good price regardless. yankee coaches jerseys went for more than that this year.
It is from the 1995 world series. It's the away jersey. I've got a great match to game 4, but no positive match for the rest of the away games in that series.

murfsteve25
03-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Steve Murf,
I have a Dave Justice Braves jersey would sell. das1721@suddenlink.net
I saw your post in the classified. I will shoot you an email here in a little bit when i get off work.

dcrules01
03-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Here is an example paid $400 for my Doug Flynn bicentennial bat. I am a big Flynn fan have been looking for this bat for almost 2 years. It almost made it to ebay but I bought it outright. Flynn was a members of the 75-76 reds who won the World Series both years.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Flynn3.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Flynn2.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Vintage001.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Vintage002.jpg

legaleagle92481
03-03-2010, 11:53 PM
It is from the 1995 world series. It's the away jersey. I've got a great match to game 4, but no positive match for the rest of the away games in that series.

Sweet jersey from a great year!

murfsteve25
03-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Sweet jersey from a great year!

Thanks. I didnt think it was going to be available for too much longer so i had to hurry up and make a deal with Zane. Glad i've finally got it tho.

Tedw9
03-04-2010, 07:16 PM
I would pay or trade big for a Carl Willey jersey or bat. My wife already knows if I stumble upon either item, the credit card comes out, no questions asked.

godwulf
03-05-2010, 09:38 AM
A few years ago, I paid nearly $3700 for seven Justin Upton minor league jerseys. I'm glad that I happened to have had the money to do so at the time, but I'm not sure they will ever be worth that much to another collector - regardless of what happens in JUp's career.